What do customs charge for duties and taxes in Galveston on liquor

fedexretiree

We will be on the Magic leaving and returning to Galveston and was wondering what customs will charge for duties and taxes for a liter of vodka?

Also, how many bottles are you allowed to purchase per person and do they really check?

Thanks in advance for the information

We will be on the Magic leaving and returning to Galveston and was wondering what customs will charge for duties and taxes for a liter of vodka?

Also, how many bottles are you allowed to purchase per person and do they really check?

Thanks in advance for the information

Avg $3.50 750ml, $15 for carton of smokes.

Maybe you can't get away with it if you buy from the ship, but we bought 4 bottles of tequila in Cozumel and just walked right by the Texas "tax takers" LOL! Not sure exactly who they are, but they were asking as we walked by if we had any alcohol. Just said no and kept walking. Of course I did the same thing when we got on the ship in Cozumel. They told me to check the alcohol at the table after going through the scanners. I just put on the "I'm clueless" face and headed up the stairs. When they called after me I just kept going and pretended not to hear them, so the ship didn't have any record of me having alcohol either.

Maybe you can't get away with it if you buy from the ship, but we bought 4 bottles of tequila in Cozumel and just walked right by the Texas "tax takers" LOL! Not sure exactly who they are, but they were asking as we walked by if we had any alcohol. Just said no and kept walking. Of course I did the same thing when we got on the ship in Cozumel. They told me to check the alcohol at the table after going through the scanners. I just put on the "I'm clueless" face and headed up the stairs. When they called after me I just kept going and pretended not to hear them, so the ship didn't have any record of me having alcohol either.

The penalty for not declaring alcohol or other required purchases to US Customs is way more than the $20 you avoided paying. Many times Customs waives duty on properly declared items.

Joining the chronic rule breakers club. As of last time I sailed, TX tax collectors have no idea what's in your bag, wherever you bought it. There is just no reason to declare anything to them. That being said, if you're sporting a visible liquor box, I wouldn't try skipping it. If not, ignore them. It's conscientious objection as far as I'm concerned. That last money grab as you're leaving, after you've poured who knows how much into tourism already is an embarrassment to our state. I need to write my congressman, I think.

I wasn't trying to flame KCruiser. I try not to break rule. We all do from time to time but I do try.

I really don't understand declaring to one agency and not to the other. Once it is down on paper I just wouldn't be willing to take a chance.

It's not that I was trying to avoid paying a tax. I could care less about a few dollars. It was the annoying hassle of it all. As someone said they have no idea what is in your bag and they have no way of finding that out. It's a ridiculous setup. We were also told conflicting information several times. My mom is a Texas resident, I am not. Some said only residents had to pay the tax others said everyone had to pay. I still have never gotten a straight answer for that one. The woman asking about whether we had alcohol or not, never asked where anyone was from.

I won't be breaking anymore rules though, lol. I have always been able to skip giving the ship my alcohol when getting back on board in the ports, but now that they make you pick it up the morning of debarkation, I'm not even chancing that. That is definitely not worth the hassle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks KCuizer for not taking offense and answering my question. I realized I could have phrased my first question better. I blame lack of sleep.

You are correct it is a ridiculous set up.

At this time there does not seem to be any communication between ship/ customs /TABC. I am guessing if Texas wants to get serious about collection they will work a deal with customs in the near future to tag those with alcohol purchases.

As to the question of who pays taxes. As of January 2014 everybody. In times past if you were just transporting through Texas you were except. This is no longer true. In fact until 2014 I don't even remember seeing anyone in port of Galveston to collect tax.

Carnival had been handing out a letter detailing who must pay but since they also ply you with ads about the spa and art actions that most don't care about those letters often go to file 13 without being read.

Happy Cruising everyone