10 day Mexican cruise on the Ruby March 14 transportation options

veggie59

How is the Hyatt Centric in LB?? It seems to have better reviews than some others I checked that said questionable area. Hoping for somewhere without the need for a rental to get around and still be able to do a few things. Our anniversary is the day we return / dock from the cruise so I need to see if I can add a few days to the end of the cruise too. I am adding 2 days before to be sure we don't get stuck in Boston if there is snow like last year lol. A cruisers nightmare is getting stuck in an airport and not going anywhere.

The Hyatt Centric is a great location. That would be my #1 spot to stay in Downtown Long Beach. There is nothing questionable able the area and believe me, Long Beach DOES have many questionable places. The Pike area is not one of them.

But I would stay at the Hyatt Centric coming and on the way back, for your anniversary, I'd move to the Santa Monica area. It is closer to LAX with more to see and do.

Oh Thanks for the info!! So,,if we were to take a shuttle or uber from LAX to a hotel in LB...do you think there is enough for us to do for 2 days pre and 2 days post cruise? That is either walking around or local shuttles/buses? Not looking to rent anything as we want to relax and not deal with driving places we don't know how to get to lol. Maybe some shopping / meals / drinks / night life...and if we find something cheap and close by for sightseeing it would be a bonus. Our anniversary is the day the cruise returns so I am hoping I can find a deal to extend the trip the 2 days on the end. Can you recommend a good hotel in a good area that isn't over priced?? The Hyatt Centric looks nice but not sure I want to spend $150ish a night. Thanks!!

$150 a night is CHEAP for LA, just like it would be cheap for the better areas of Boston. If you find a hotel less than $150 in Long Beach there is a good chance you don't want to stay in it.

Downtown Long Beach has some attractions, but not enough for four full days, which is why I recommend moving closer to LAX.

$150 would be tough in Santa Monica, but you might check the DoubleTree. You might also look at Marina del Rey, which has the Jamaica Inn and Marriott. There is stuff to do in the Marina, plus the HoHo Bus stops there.

http://www.starlinetours.com/images/sl-HH/GREEN-timetable.png

The Marina is not where I would stay on an extended LA trip, but for a couple of nights and proximity to LAX it is pretty good.

The Hyatt Centric is a great location. That would be my #1 spot to stay in Downtown Long Beach. There is nothing questionable able the area and believe me, Long Beach DOES have many questionable places. The Pike area is not one of them.

But I would stay at the Hyatt Centric coming and on the way back, for your anniversary, I'd move to the Santa Monica area. It is closer to LAX with more to see and do.

$150 a night is CHEAP for LA, just like it would be cheap for the better areas of Boston. If you find a hotel less than $150 in Long Beach there is a good chance you don't want to stay in it.

Downtown Long Beach has some attractions, but not enough for four full days, which is why I recommend moving closer to LAX.

$150 would be tough in Santa Monica, but you might check the DoubleTree. You might also look at Marina del Rey, which has the Jamaica Inn and Marriott. There is stuff to do in the Marina, plus the HoHo Bus stops there.

http://www.starlinetours.com/images/sl-HH/GREEN-timetable.png

The Marina is not where I would stay on an extended LA trip, but for a couple of nights and proximity to LAX it is pretty good.

LOL that just befuddled me totally from what I had. I have the cruise on a hold I've been doing more research is on hotels and airfare not many options for the airfare. I had narrowed it down to San Pedro maybe at the best Western pre-cruise for two days and the Hyatt centric post-cruise two days. We weren't planning on getting a rental so wanted to be in an area where we could do things by foot or cheap transportation.

Edit: I was thinking the Hyatt centric at the end of the cruise cause that's when our anniversary is and I figured that was the nicer hotel. I thought there would be some things to do close by we wouldn't have to deal with transportation so much.

Edited by veggie59

LOL that just befuddled me totally from what I had. I have the cruise on a hold I've been doing more research is on hotels and airfare not many options for the airfare. I had narrowed it down to San Pedro maybe at the best Western pre-cruise for two days and the Hyatt centric post-cruise two days. We weren't planning on getting a rental so wanted to be in an area where we could do things by foot or cheap transportation.

Edit: I was thinking the Hyatt centric at the end of the cruise cause that's when our anniversary is and I figured that was the nicer hotel. I thought there would be some things to do close by we wouldn't have to deal with transportation so much.

There is not a lot to amuse oneself in San Pedro. It is fine for one night, not two.

The Hotel Maya in Long Beach might work, or the DoubleTree. You have to use a free shuttle to get to DT Long Beach, but because of that they come cheaper usually.

I was assuming you were flying into and out of LAX, but if you are coming in and out of LGB, then being by LAX does you no good.

If you are flying in and out of LAX then there is no reason not to move to the LAX area and the Jamaica Bay Inn is a short ride to LAX.

http://www.pacificahotels.com/jamaicabayinn/hotel/amenities

The Marriott is there too and the Ritz Carlton (I am sure the Ritz is way too much), but it would be a nice area for a couple of days.

There is not a lot to amuse oneself in San Pedro. It is fine for one night, not two.

The Hotel Maya in Long Beach might work, or the DoubleTree. You have to use a free shuttle to get to DT Long Beach, but because of that they come cheaper usually.

I was assuming you were flying into and out of LAX, but if you are coming in and out of LGB, then being by LAX does you no good.

If you are flying in and out of LAX then there is no reason not to move to the LAX area and the Jamaica Bay Inn is a short ride to LAX.

http://www.pacificahotels.com/jamaicabayinn/hotel/amenities

The Marriott is there too and the Ritz Carlton (I am sure the Ritz is way too much), but it would be a nice area for a couple of days.

Thank you I appreciate all the info. I just looked at the Jamaica Bay in it is nice but that's going to add another $150 to what I already figured. I just talk to my husband and he still not ready to commit. It was his idea LOL. I told him this is a two-week vacation not one. So do you not think the Hyatt Centric would be good since you made suggestions for the other hotels? Yeah and the Marriott and the Ritz are too pricey. and yes we would be flying in and out of LAX as Long Beach airport had very few options.

As many will suggest, it's best to figure out what is of interest to you and hubby, as that may determine a good area to stay. Don't stay by LAX or in downtown LA but it looks like those are off your list anyway. You may want to stay in LB or San Pedro pre-cruise and someplace nearer to where you want to sightsee or hang out post-cruise. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of traveling about the city just to accomplish your goals.

If you stay in Long Beach pre-cruise, make sure to tell your driver (shuttle or taxi) that you need to go to the Port of Los Angeles (Port of LB is where Carnival has its berth). If your renting a car and want to drive there, one of you can drop off the other with the luggage at the World Cruise Center at your berth and then go return the car to Enterprise or wherever you rented it (if your talking about the weekend, make doubly sure about the hours at the agency because Enterprise and some of the others are closed on Sundays and have limited hours on Saturdays (we actually just returned a rental car this morning to the Enterprise office we used here in the Valley and were very happy about the service).

It won't be hard to find a vegetarian restaurant in LA or at least some with an extensive variety of veggie dishes to select from.

As many will suggest' date=' it's best to figure out what is of interest to you and hubby, as that may determine a good area to stay. Don't stay by LAX or in downtown LA but it looks like those are off your list anyway. You may want to stay in LB or San Pedro pre-cruise and someplace nearer to where you want to sightsee or hang out post-cruise. Otherwise you'll be doing a lot of traveling about the city just to accomplish your goals.

If you stay in Long Beach pre-cruise, make sure to tell your driver (shuttle or taxi) that you need to go to the Port of Los Angeles (Port of LB is where Carnival has its berth). If your renting a car and want to drive there, one of you can drop off the other with the luggage at the World Cruise Center at your berth and then go return the car to Enterprise or wherever you rented it (if your talking about the weekend, make doubly sure about the hours at the agency because Enterprise and some of the others are closed on Sundays and have limited hours on Saturdays (we actually just returned a rental car this morning to the Enterprise office we used here in the Valley and were very happy about the service).

It won't be hard to find a vegetarian restaurant in LA or at least some with an extensive variety of veggie dishes to select from.[/quote']

Thanks,,,we are sailing on Princess. Had to make a decision today or we loose our cruise perks. Just booked airfare and hotels. Stuck with the Best Western Plus in San Pedro pre cruise for 2 nights and the Hyatt Centric Pike 2 nights post cruise. Now I just read the BW is in a questionable area in San Pedro..I can't change it :(

Edited by veggie59

Thanks,,,we are sailing on Princess. Had to make a decision today or we loose our cruise perks. Just booked airfare and hotels. Stuck with the Best Western Plus in San Pedro pre cruise for 2 nights and the Hyatt Centric Pike 2 nights post cruise. Now I just read the BW is in a questionable area in San Pedro..I can't change it :(

Sorry I didn't pick up on this thread a bit earlier...I usually find myself giving a lot of advice to people visiting Southern California...I am one of those lifelong Angelenos who have lived and worked everywhere from Orange County to Santa Barbara...and in a 35+ year career as a real estate attorney/real estate developer have developed properties all over the state...

That said, it sounds like most of my favorite hotel and area recommendations would have easily outstripped your budget--LA can be a VERY expensive hotel town--especially if you want to stay in one of the choice locations...

Now that you are cemented into timing and hotels, allow me to pass along several notes:

First, your hotels:

I am not a big fan of the Best Western on Gaffey in San Pedro...I wouldn't specifically term it as "questionable", I guess...just that it is not in the prime location in San Pedro...The Doubletree is sort of out of the way, downchannel from the port but in a lovely setting on the yacht harbor...The Crowne Plaza is at the very heart of San Pedro--the center of "Downtown" with the majority of good restaurants within about a three block radius...it is also quite walkable to the World Cruise Center (the cruise pier you will be leaving from). The BW is on Gaffey...sort of the main thoroughfare of San Pedro--because all of the traffic from the 110 Freeway (N/S freeway from Downtown Los Angeles to San Pedro) dumps out onto Gaffey--at the Freeway's end--just a block or two from the hotel...The area around the hotel is very ordinary--Fast Food, laundromats, gas stations, donut shops, liquor stores, etc...it is not the sort of neighborhood you really want to walk around (though it is relatively safe). San Pedro is, and always has been, an industrial harbor town...home to dockworkers, fishermen, blue collar workers etc. There has been a bit of "gentrification" of late--mostly because other more desirable towns nearby--Palos Verdes, Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates--have outpriced young professionals and small businessmen...So, many have eased over into San Pedro and bought and remodeled homes--but mostly in certain areas--not the area near the BW...It is an OLD town by Southern California standards. Most of the buildings have remained largely the same for decades, many over a century...But, if the BW fits into your budget, you will be fine...the hotel itself, gets some decent reviews of late...But I think the expectations of most staying there are a little lower than those of the folks staying at the Doubletree or the CP...

As to the Hyatt Centric...or "Hyatt at the Pike" (That "Centric" name is brand new in the Hyatt lexicon--it may take me some time to get used to it), there you have made an EXCELLENT choice...That Hyatt ranks among the top three in Long Beach along with the Hyatt Regency and the Renaissance...part of my Long Beach "A" List...For Long Beach, that location is pretty much unbeatable...You can walk to just about everything you might want to see in Long Beach--save the Queen Mary...and, for that, you can catch the Free Passport Shuttle from the Aquarium right across the street...

Okay, for "what to do and what to see":

IMHO, though you CAN fill up your time in those two towns...just barely...If it's your first time here, you may want to see a bit more (I'll get to that in a second). First, there really isn't a lot to see for most people in San Pedro...There are tours of the USS Iowa battleship (right next to the World Cruise Center, about a block or two from the Crowne Plaza)...There is the Maritime Museum --interesting to some, not to others. There is a waterfront shopping area--"Ports O'Call Village"--which can seem a little seedy and third worldish...and then, you are running out of attractions (I'll get to what else to do with your time in a second). For dinner, there are lots of choices...but you will either have to take a long walk or perhaps a taxi or Uber...and, of course, you may have a problem if you require Vegan...Vegetarian may be a bit easier...

You've got this place on 6th Street (near the CP):

https://www.nudajuiceshop.com/sample-menu.html

But it closes at 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm on weekends...

I took a quick look at the menu from my favorite Pedro eatery--the San Pedro Brewing Co.--and found you'd have very limited choices there--the Grilled Artichoke appetizer and the SPBC Grilled Fresh Veggie Sandwich (Red Bell Pepper, Zucchini, Sweet Onion and Yellow Squash topped with melted jack--I guess hold that if you're Vegan--on toasted Sourdough with Lettuce, Tomato and Pesto Aioli)...Also a "Garden Burger"...Probably what you'll find with most local restaurants...

Rex's Cafe...at 22nd and Pacific...

http://www.viewmenu.com/rexs-cafe-2/menu?ref=google

...may have a few more menu options for you...

If you are merely vegetarian and not Vegan, there are Mexican places--Acapulco or Green Onion--where you can get things like Cheese Enchiladas...

I believe the Think Cafe on 5th has a variety of Vegetarian options as well...

The main tourist sites in Long Beach are the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary...Shoreline Village is a tourist-based shopping village...

Long Beach has a wider variety of restaurants...including a lot of major chains...There is a Vegan restaurant not too far from your hotel:

http://www.ahimsavegancafe.com/

As to what you might do if you want to fill that extra time from one of these towns, don't have a car and want to go to the main Los Angeles tourist sites--like Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice Boardwalk, etc.: Contact these guys:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/

They are based in the Harbor area...and regular do tours of LA picking up from hotel locations (and from the cruise ports) in the Long Beach and San Pedro areas... You can arrange a full day tour and get your fill of all of the usuall tourist locales--Walk of Stars, Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, etc.

Have fun...

Sorry I didn't pick up on this thread a bit earlier...I usually find myself giving a lot of advice to people visiting Southern California...I am one of those lifelong Angelenos who have lived and worked everywhere from Orange County to Santa Barbara...and in a 35+ year career as a real estate attorney/real estate developer have developed properties all over the state...

That said, it sounds like most of my favorite hotel and area recommendations would have easily outstripped your budget--LA can be a VERY expensive hotel town--especially if you want to stay in one of the choice locations...

Now that you are cemented into timing and hotels, allow me to pass along several notes:

First, your hotels:

I am not a big fan of the Best Western on Gaffey in San Pedro...I wouldn't specifically term it as "questionable", I guess...just that it is not in the prime location in San Pedro...The Doubletree is sort of out of the way, downchannel from the port but in a lovely setting on the yacht harbor...The Crowne Plaza is at the very heart of San Pedro--the center of "Downtown" with the majority of good restaurants within about a three block radius...it is also quite walkable to the World Cruise Center (the cruise pier you will be leaving from). The BW is on Gaffey...sort of the main thoroughfare of San Pedro--because all of the traffic from the 110 Freeway (N/S freeway from Downtown Los Angeles to San Pedro) dumps out onto Gaffey--at the Freeway's end--just a block or two from the hotel...The area around the hotel is very ordinary--Fast Food, laundromats, gas stations, donut shops, liquor stores, etc...it is not the sort of neighborhood you really want to walk around (though it is relatively safe). San Pedro is, and always has been, an industrial harbor town...home to dockworkers, fishermen, blue collar workers etc. There has been a bit of "gentrification" of late--mostly because other more desirable towns nearby--Palos Verdes, Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates--have outpriced young professionals and small businessmen...So, many have eased over into San Pedro and bought and remodeled homes--but mostly in certain areas--not the area near the BW...It is an OLD town by Southern California standards. Most of the buildings have remained largely the same for decades, many over a century...But, if the BW fits into your budget, you will be fine...the hotel itself, gets some decent reviews of late...But I think the expectations of most staying there are a little lower than those of the folks staying at the Doubletree or the CP...

As to the Hyatt Centric...or "Hyatt at the Pike" (That "Centric" name is brand new in the Hyatt lexicon--it may take me some time to get used to it), there you have made an EXCELLENT choice...That Hyatt ranks among the top three in Long Beach along with the Hyatt Regency and the Renaissance...part of my Long Beach "A" List...For Long Beach, that location is pretty much unbeatable...You can walk to just about everything you might want to see in Long Beach--save the Queen Mary...and, for that, you can catch the Free Passport Shuttle from the Aquarium right across the street...

Okay, for "what to do and what to see":

IMHO, though you CAN fill up your time in those two towns...just barely...If it's your first time here, you may want to see a bit more (I'll get to that in a second). First, there really isn't a lot to see for most people in San Pedro...There are tours of the USS Iowa battleship (right next to the World Cruise Center, about a block or two from the Crowne Plaza)...There is the Maritime Museum --interesting to some, not to others. There is a waterfront shopping area--"Ports O'Call Village"--which can seem a little seedy and third worldish...and then, you are running out of attractions (I'll get to what else to do with your time in a second). For dinner, there are lots of choices...but you will either have to take a long walk or perhaps a taxi or Uber...and, of course, you may have a problem if you require Vegan...Vegetarian may be a bit easier...

You've got this place on 6th Street (near the CP):

https://www.nudajuiceshop.com/sample-menu.html

But it closes at 3:00 pm, 5:00 pm on weekends...

I took a quick look at the menu from my favorite Pedro eatery--the San Pedro Brewing Co.--and found you'd have very limited choices there--the Grilled Artichoke appetizer and the SPBC Grilled Fresh Veggie Sandwich (Red Bell Pepper, Zucchini, Sweet Onion and Yellow Squash topped with melted jack--I guess hold that if you're Vegan--on toasted Sourdough with Lettuce, Tomato and Pesto Aioli)...Also a "Garden Burger"...Probably what you'll find with most local restaurants...

Rex's Cafe...at 22nd and Pacific...

http://www.viewmenu.com/rexs-cafe-2/menu?ref=google

...may have a few more menu options for you...

If you are merely vegetarian and not Vegan, there are Mexican places--Acapulco or Green Onion--where you can get things like Cheese Enchiladas...

I believe the Think Cafe on 5th has a variety of Vegetarian options as well...

The main tourist sites in Long Beach are the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary...Shoreline Village is a tourist-based shopping village...

Long Beach has a wider variety of restaurants...including a lot of major chains...There is a Vegan restaurant not too far from your hotel:

http://www.ahimsavegancafe.com/

As to what you might do if you want to fill that extra time from one of these towns, don't have a car and want to go to the main Los Angeles tourist sites--like Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Venice Boardwalk, etc.: Contact these guys:

http://www.sunseekertours.us/

They are based in the Harbor area...and regular do tours of LA picking up from hotel locations (and from the cruise ports) in the Long Beach and San Pedro areas... You can arrange a full day tour and get your fill of all of the usuall tourist locales--Walk of Stars, Hollywood Sign, Chinese Theater, Rodeo Drive, etc.

Have fun...

Wow just saw his...thanks for all the tips!! I have a few questions maybe for tomorrow or another day...is that okay??