West End Day Plan.....

mrsfuzzmo

Cruising into Roatan in April. Two couples looking to hang out and relax. We are interested in grabbing a cab to Half Moon Bay or West End area.

Two questions, if we cab over there, will there be cabs to take us back to the ship, or should we prearrange something?

Second Question - Does anyone have a favorite waterfront beach bar? We like lively, fun, friendly, possible live music. Someplace that we can call home for an afternoon, maybe swim/snorkel and drink? I see there are a number of over the water and waterfront beach type bars, but looking for someone with experience if one is better than another.

Thanks!! Anything we HAVE TO have/try at any of the bars/restaurants? We like to just kind of explore on our own.

Cruising into Roatan in April. Two couples looking to hang out and relax. We are interested in grabbing a cab to Half Moon Bay or West End area.

Two questions, if we cab over there, will there be cabs to take us back to the ship, or should we prearrange something?

Second Question - Does anyone have a favorite waterfront beach bar? We like lively, fun, friendly, possible live music. Someplace that we can call home for an afternoon, maybe swim/snorkel and drink? I see there are a number of over the water and waterfront beach type bars, but looking for someone with experience if one is better than another.

Thanks!! Anything we HAVE TO have/try at any of the bars/restaurants? We like to just kind of explore on our own.

Half Moon Bay and West End are all the same place, Half Moon Bay being the bay and beach in the village of West End.

There may well be cabs available for a return because many hang about at the circle in West End but the worry is you must go back to the ship and the taxi driver will know this. Taxi prices are not regulated, any taxi guy may well want to take advantage. If you enjoy the haggle feel free, if you would rather not worry so much arrange round trip transport, mind you haggle is still the watch word. :0)

I would suggest Sundowner on Half Moon Bay Beach, it has a very loyal following and a combination of expats and local islanders hanging about. This is the email address from their Facebook page. aaronetchesroatan@gmail.com

I only know of two over the water buildings, one is Eagle Rays (a restaurant) and the other is Foster's, when I was last down they were only open for dinner. The Lighhouse has a deck over the water, another restaurant.

Half Moon Bay Resort has been known to offer day passes but the info is not on the web site, perhaps tossing them an email would be of help.

Tita's Pink Seahorse is a popular spot, on the other end of West End. I have heard people say if you are a strong swimmer you can get to Blue Channel from there. I have only been over there once and the volley ball court took up most of the sand. Reviews are HERE.

As an added option, if you sort round trip transport you may be able to get your guy to drop you in West End, if you decided to explore a bit add the water taxi to West Bay to your list of adventures. Your taxi could collect you in West Bay.

I do not drink but folks often talk about the Monkey LaLa as a very nice adult beverage. :0)

Edited by Guest 2000

• 1 month later...
Half Moon Bay and West End are all the same place, Half Moon Bay being the bay and beach in the village of West End.

There may well be cabs available for a return because many hang about at the circle in West End but the worry is you must go back to the ship and the taxi driver will know this. Taxi prices are not regulated, any taxi guy may well want to take advantage. If you enjoy the haggle feel free, if you would rather not worry so much arrange round trip transport, mind you haggle is still the watch word. :0)

I would suggest Sundowner on Half Moon Bay Beach, it has a very loyal following and a combination of expats and local islanders hanging about. This is the email address from their Facebook page. aaronetchesroatan@gmail.com

I only know of two over the water buildings, one is Eagle Rays (a restaurant) and the other is Foster's, when I was last down they were only open for dinner. The Lighhouse has a deck over the water, another restaurant.

Half Moon Bay Resort has been known to offer day passes but the info is not on the web site, perhaps tossing them an email would be of help.

Tita's Pink Seahorse is a popular spot, on the other end of West End. I have heard people say if you are a strong swimmer you can get to Blue Channel from there. I have only been over there once and the volley ball court took up most of the sand. Reviews are HERE.

As an added option, if you sort round trip transport you may be able to get your guy to drop you in West End, if you decided to explore a bit add the water taxi to West Bay to your list of adventures. Your taxi could collect you in West Bay.

I do not drink but folks often talk about the Monkey LaLa as a very nice adult beverage. :0)

YES! The Monkey LaLa is DELICIOUS!!! :D We haven't been to Roatan for years but I think the place we went to was Sundowners. The bar sort of looks familiar. Do you know of a driver we could arrange ahead of time to take us to the West End and then take us back to the ship? Last time we used Victor Bodden, but we combined it all with a tour of the island. This time we just want to go to the West End and spend the day there.

Sundowner's is the only real bar on Half Moon Bay that also has it's own chairs and is in a good spot if you want to snorkel.

If you go down the road in West End what used to be Foster's (as mentioned by Guest 2000) is no longer that but a new place is there called Palapa Pappa's and they have chairs and umbrellas and beach however if you want to swim and snorkel you are better off in Half Moon Bay, whereas down that far down the road, that is no longer the bay.

Sundowner's is easy to get to , just a quick right when you get to the roundabout at the entrance to West End and it is on your left just past the Yellow place called the Beach House.

Sundowners has chairs and also serves food so you could hang there all day and eat and drink, swim, snorkel, etc. There are always taxis nearby in that area waiting for people. The prices actually are regulated but it's very easy to get ripped off when you don't know better. I would either take a taxi from port and just arrange with the driver to pick you up at a certain time (being conservative with time in case he doesn't show and you have to find another so you're not late to the ship) and then have him come get you. Of you could get dropped off at sundowner's and then talk to one of the taxis out front but early, before you actually need to leave and ask what he will charge you. If you don't like the price you can find someone else or say you will which will hlep your haggling.

A new alternative in West End is DIX Halfway Inn. Sundowners is fun also but we found DIX in Feb of this year and it is yummy. Large veranda overlooking the water and lounge chairs on the beach. Food is great and drinks are yummy. If I knew how to post a picture i would.

It is right behind the little white church.

A new alternative in West End is DIX Halfway Inn. Sundowners is fun also but we found DIX in Feb of this year and it is yummy. Large veranda overlooking the water and lounge chairs on the beach. Food is great and drinks are yummy. If I knew how to post a picture i would.

It is right behind the little white church.

I knew that place when it was called something else, several years ago. Tis a great location.

Edited by Guest 2000

• 2 weeks later...

I would always avoid using the taxis stationed around the roundabout. In my experience, they always try to rip you off.

Sundowners is indeed a great location, great drinks, great expat community and lovely sunsets on the beach. Great food too.

DIX is on the same bay and it's really nice.

The Beach House is on the same bay and it's smaller, a bit secluded, with great food and a great view. It's an upstairs terrace.

The Blue Marlin is another spot where you'll find good drinks, a nice view, and a nice expat community. It's not on a beach however (well technically it is, but there is no beach that you can use, it's partly on the water).