What to pack

prmrolltide

Thanks @Chairsin. I've got some dri fit shirts I'm taking and have some rain pants I can put over my yoga pants, jeans, or whatever I decide to wear. May also just wear some exercise pants. I'm just stressing because I'm cold natured and don't want to freeze. Being from Alabama, I freeze at about 45-50. Lol

The two days I'm concerned about are the one where we take the small boat tour of Tracy Arm and another where we are taking a tour in Ketchikan thru a rain forest with Wild Wolf Tours.

Edited by prmrolltide

I understand -- when we moved to AZ from the East Coast our blood thinned out within a year to the point that what was fine before now seemed cold. You might want to invest in a pair of thermal underwear -- I bought some for us out good quality synthetic fibers for under $25 per piece. This time of year you can often even find them on sale for less.They are so thin you barely know you are wearing them. We were up at the Grand Canyon over New Years where the daytime high was about 30 degrees and even when we were just standing around in the wind at viewpoints to take photos we were very comfortable.

Am I correct that polyester is just as bad (worse?) than cotton? I bought top and bottom long underwear, and I figured it'd be good for warmth under pants-- cause that's the whole point of long underwear, yes? But the fabric is 80% polyester, 20% cotton. (It's Fruit of the Loom actually.) I suppose I should return the items? (Hasn't been worn yet-- trip is upcoming in May.)

The two days I'm concerned about are the one where we take the small boat tour of Tracy Arm.

You "can" stay inside the whole time.;) Lots of people on my excursion did just that & were as satisfied. (Not optimal for photography.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat

If I were you I would return it. Even the polyester portion might not be what is considered a "performance" fabric (such as a couple of the treads armed ones I mentioned in my post) -- that is a fabric that both keeps you warm and wicks moisture away. The brand I purchased is Terramar but there are other brands that are not expensive that will do the job. Go to an outdoor outfitter store or their website.

Yes, silk is good as is merino wool. Each have their advantages and disadvantages but the general consensus amongst "experts" is that you should steer clear of cotton. There are some good sites on the internet that layout the pros and cons of the various non cotton options - decide based on your personal issues and situation. I used to own silk but switched to the synthetic recently in preparation to our Dec 2016 cruise to Antarctica. If I lived in an extremely cold climate I might have gone for merino wool but decided that I just would not use them enough to justify the added cost.

UnderArmour Basic 1.0 is a very lightweight thermal underwear that keeps you warm, sink-washable, dries quickly, and rolls into a very slender tube-shape for packing.

The above si well-suited for standing on deck during whale watching excursions, helicopter flights into the mountains, and just standing our on the cruise ship deck in the wind.

Don't forget gloves and a light poncho to shield your camera from rain when not shooting photographs.

Cuddleduds are made from polyester. I'm seeing them in places like Marshalls, Ross, Amazon.

Look for terms like moisture wicking and breathable.

I always wear Smartwool socks and waterproof shoes when we travel in cool rainy places. I also take Teva sandals that have wonderful soles and can be worn with socks or without.

I prefer light knit polyester / cotton pants when we travel that dry quickly or can have a quick spin in a dryer.