Motion Sickness

Thranduilien

That only means that Bonine is best for you, not that it is the best. Ginger works great for me, but that doesn't mean ginger is the "best".

Absolutely, hence my statement that "perhaps it works better for some than others". I was sharing our experiences. Ginger did not help my family members that tried it, and nothing short of a shot worked for my ex. I have never experienced motion sickness on a ship so I cannot give any first hand experience on any of the remedies.

I would say there is no "best" for everyone, but then that's pretty much true for most anything in life. Sorry if you or anyone got the impression that I was trying to defend bonine as "best".

Dramamine and Bonine work for me in general. When a trip called for something stronger my doctor prescribed Transderm Scopolamine patches. I wasn't old enough to drink at the time, so I have no clue what the rules are there. Your doctor knows best, but I wanted to share my experience.

I was 100% fine on the cruise ship because of the size and the stabilizers they use. So I didn't put them on until we were stopping at ports. I did need them for the smaller ships used on excursions. Previously, I had used the patches for a trip to Disneyworld. I wore them for a week and by the last day they had started to make me farsighted. Yes it is a side effect and yes it happens more often than you might think. I have had no problem with them when I only wear them a few days at a time.

My other favorite natural nausea buster are ginger chews. They are good enough to eat like candy.

Edited by CruisingCaity16

Hi people, thanks for the suggestions. I will be going on a 3 night jaunt for my first cruise in August this year. It's a P&O food and wine cruise sailing out of Sydney. Perfect for 'testing the waters' I thought. :D

I'll be in a group, so It will be fun!

My go to cure for nausea is a ginger syrup called Ginger refresher. In Australia it's made by the Bundaberg Company.

Check with you Doctir first.

I have seen a few foljs with some sort of patch behind their ear.

There are tons of over the counter stuff like this

http://www.bonine.com

Green Apples, Ginger cookies are some other things i head about.

My first cruise was inner cabin towards the back of the ship. We got a little queezy first day out, did the Bonie and we were fine the rest of the cruise.

Since then we get cabins with an outside balcony. Lets the light in, fresh air (be careful if you open you cabin door when the balcony door is open!). No issues.

Enjoy you cruise!

I would talk to your doctor. I also found this stuff called motion eaze, it's some herbal oil that you dab behind your ears if you feel sick, it takes it away quickly (giving you time for melds to take effect). I don't have a problem on cruises but we've used this on my daughter on a particularly stormy night and it worked very well.

I am prone to motion sickness big time! Please see your doctor because there could be contraindications for you taking any sort of med.

I have been on many cruises on may different waters around the world and have not been ill on any of them but the first in 1986 on Carnival.I had myself Believing that I would be sick and sure enough I was and used the patch for that cruise. The patch has its own set of problems!

All cruises after that with stabilizers that have improved.....have me not sick at all as well as me "knowing" I will NOT be ill.

A state of mind may be all you need.:D

Now on the other hand you will not find me on a winding mountain road..~*barf*~

Thanks for the tips! I've tried taking 1/2 table of Bonine and found that made me a bit drowsy. So I'm thinking that the patch may not work for me. I can do without the side effects! We booked a May 2016 cruise with Princess Cruises and I was told that the ship (Ruby) has stabilizers onboard and that I shouldn't have any issues. The booking agent also went onto say that I shouldn't have any issues with the inside passage but that the ship does go out to sea after leaving Seattle. Maybe a bit of Bonine would help me if the sea gets a bit rough.

Edited by videolady