NCL Star OS 10006 Question

adcc

We leave on the NCL Star on March 20. I can't seem to locate any recent information on the boards about alcohol in the room. Does this room receive any bottles of liquor? Also will the concierge contact us in advance? Thank you in advance!

Owner's suites get three bottles of liquor from a pretty limited list.

Your first contact with the actual concierge onboard will be in the terminal or after getting onboard.

What you will (usually) get is a letter from the pre-cruise concierge desk that is only a regular customer service dedicated to suite passengers - they can make some reservations for you and take notes of your other requests but it's up to the actual concierge and butler if those requests get fulfilled on the embarkation day or not (until then they have other passengers to take care of).

We were able to switch out the liquor (for a fee) to anything available on the ship. Prices were fair too, less than retail in a liquor store.

I have to strongly disagree with this comment. :)

They usually demand at least $40 to switch a bottle - even if the replacement is exactly same price as the bottle they'd replace. Also for that price one could get two bottles in retail.

In my case (GV on Dawn in 2014) I wanted to get Bacardi Oakheart instead of Bacardi Superior - both are available as call liquors (also both are used in many of their drink receipes) all around the ship and both are exactly same priced in bars onboard (also in the duty free shop but back then it was a third party operation).

After escalating the matter high enough (concierge wasn't able to help so had to complain to HD) I got the switch for free, but I'm still unable to comprehend the rationale behind the policy.

I just can't see any valid business reason for them not to offer the same selection (within the same price range, of course) as is generally available in bars onboard as it is the same department/manager (F&B) that manages all alcohol onboard that first denied my request two times.

We leave on the NCL Star on March 20. I can't seem to locate any recent information on the boards about alcohol in the room. Does this room receive any bottles of liquor? Also will the concierge contact us in advance? Thank you in advance!

There are some long threads with pictures of the Dawn 10006 floating around here. Also, there was one individual who sailed I'm pretty sure in the Star 10006 right after the most recent drydock and had a couple pictures if you try some searches. I don't recall his screen name at the moment.

Also, you will get unlimited in room water bottles and soda.

Hello...was in 1006 on the Dawn in October....you will love it. We chose 3 bottles of wine from the list. Enjoyed them. Heading to the Star now....catching flight to Tampa. Ask if u have any other questions. We r in aft PH this time

I have to strongly disagree with this comment. :)

They usually demand at least $40 to switch a bottle - even if the replacement is exactly same price as the bottle they'd replace. Also for that price one could get two bottles in retail.

I gotcha.

It may have been that what I was asking for was ultra premium, costing $140/bottle stateside. They said the change price would be $100.

The way I looked at it, i wont drink all 3 bottles on board as we have the UBP...so I am buying my favorite to take home for less money than I would spend at home.

The way I looked at it, i wont drink all 3 bottles on board as we have the UBP...so I am buying my favorite to take home for less money than I would spend at home.

That's a good point too, we didn't have UBP so the six of us staying in the GV (plus two friends that spent a lot of time there) drank all six bottles easily during the 12-night cruise.

Hi! Please join us on our roll call page if you like. The more the merrier.

Thanks everyone and yes I'll join the roll call! Can't wait to go. I'm certainly not going to drink 3 bottles of liquor but am glad to have a choice which saves some dollars on the bar bill [emoji39]. I think we have the package that gives us excursion, dinner, wifi and onboard credit not the UBP.

As suite guests, you also have immediate access to a pre-cruise concierge. He or she will help you with regular concierge questions or requests such as dinner reservations or show reservations. They can also assist you with your stateroom requests such as your pillow menu, extra hangers, or emptying the honor bar before you board. The number is 855-625-4283, 9 am to 9 pm Eastern Standard Time. Have you been made aware of your other suite perks?

When the draught of your vessel exceeds the depth of the water, you are most assuredly, aground.

- Ian Walsh

As suite guests, you also have immediate access to a pre-cruise concierge. He or she will help...

There is no "pre-cruise concierge" but a "pre-cruise concierge desk" - in this case that is a big difference.

The desk is manned by regular shoreside customer service reps that definitely do not have the hospitality industry education and especially years of experience that the concierges and butlers onboard have. So they are not concierges, they are clerks making simple reservations and taking notes for everything else.

There is no "pre-cruise concierge" but a "pre-cruise concierge desk" - in this case that is a big difference.

The desk is manned by regular shoreside customer service reps that definitely do not have the hospitality industry education and especially years of experience that the concierges and butlers onboard have. So they are not concierges, they are clerks making simple reservations and taking notes for everything else.

No, I must respectfully disagree. I actually spoke with a person, not a desk. I was aware that the person sitting at that desk was not actually the on-board concierge because she would have been.....on-board and unavailable to help me. And you are correct in your assumption that I did not check her concierge certificate. All that being said, the (non-certified?) concierges that I have spoken with are willing and very well trained.

The planning stage of a cruise is often just as enjoyable as the voyage itself, letting one’s imagination loose on all kinds of possibilities. Yet translating dreams into reality means a lot of practical questions have to be answered.

- Jimmy Cornell

No, I must respectfully disagree. I actually spoke with a person, not a desk. I was aware that the person sitting at that desk was not actually the on-board concierge because she would have been.....on-board and unavailable to help me. And you are correct in your assumption that I did not check her concierge certificate. All that being said, the (non-certified?) concierges that I have spoken with are willing and very well trained.

You talked to a person manning that desk and they definitely are not concierges no matter how you keep calling them that - this is not a matter of opinion but a fact, so we can't even agree to disagree on this.

If anybody makes any assumptions about the service provided by NCL concierges based on the service they get from the pre-cruise concierge desk, their assumptions are way off - that is why the distinction between actual concierges and the customer service reps on shore is important, especially on a public forum like this.

It's truly great that you have such good experiences of the customer service reps, but there are many others here on CC that can't share your opinions about the willigness and training of said CSRs.

You talked to a person manning that desk and they definitely are not concierges no matter how you keep calling them that - this is not a matter of opinion but a fact, so we can't even agree to disagree on this.

If anybody makes any assumptions about the service provided by NCL concierges based on the service they get from the pre-cruise concierge desk, their assumptions are way off - that is why the distinction between actual concierges and the customer service reps on shore is important, especially on a public forum like this.

It's truly great that you have such good experiences of the customer service reps, but there are many others here on CC that can't share your opinions about the willigness and training of said CSRs.

Sorry that my response was so divisive. The start of this thread was a gentleman asking about contacting the concierge before sailing. I gave him the phone number and hours. I have no knowledge about NCL qualifications for their pre-cruise concierge. I do know that they have always assisted me with requests that I cannot make through the regular help desk. I hope the number helps those who choose to use it and I am sorry I offended you with my lack of cruising knowledge.

All who wander are not lost

- JRR Tolkein