Military OBC

Pb86

Cunard do for UK personnel, serving and retired.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/military

If I've read the conditions correctly, Cunard don't ask for proof after an application is submitted until you arrive onboard.

Princess have offered it for some years to eligible US/Canadian clients - and more recently for UK & Commonwealth personnel and ex-servicemen who satisfy the criteria, including reservists.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.VrMu0lK2VgE

Princess is the better of the two - you have to apply with proof of eligibility in advance, a straightforward process.

Not sure which, if any, other lines offer this specific type of benefit. Some offer a discount on fares rather than OBC.

I have received the Princess deal, so happy to answer any questions, where possible.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Cunard do for UK personnel, serving and retired.

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/military

If I've read the conditions correctly, Cunard don't ask for proof after an application is submitted until you arrive onboard.

Princess have offered it for some years to eligible US/Canadian clients - and more recently for UK & Commonwealth personnel and ex-servicemen who satisfy the criteria, including reservists.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.VrMu0lK2VgE

Princess is the better of the two - you have to apply with proof of eligibility in advance, a straightforward process.

Not sure which, if any, other lines offer this specific type of benefit. Some offer a discount on fares rather than OBC.

I have received the Princess deal, so happy to answer any questions, where possible.

Offered by P&O too. Need to submit evidence of eligibility then seems to be on the system.

Edited by kruzseeka

I assume the P&O deal is the same as Cunard ?

Princess USA record benefits status on a client's personal profile (after their first eligible application) so it is applied automatically with any future bookings, and I understand the same now applies for Australian/New Zealand customers.

Princess UK have still to get their act together on this - you have to apply with each cruise booking.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I assume the P&O deal is the same as Cunard ?

I believe so - and perhaps having applied to one the info is automatically available to the second. Their HQs are based at the same address in Southampton - and their cruise personalisers (your cruise details - like manage your booking) are very similar too, possible even the same so I think they're using the same software.

I must say I am very impressed with how efficient their systems are in relation to recognising you. Even a mock trial booking on line will throw up your ID number. New bookings already show to your TA at the time of booking any benefits, like future cruise deposits or discounts which may apply to your booking due to you having been a previous passenger. And loyalty discounts register straight away as soon as they are applicable. We've even reached 'Elite' level on Princess (never having sailed with them) courtesy of points accrued on P&O and Cunard!!!!!

Not a deal breaker - we would choose cruises mainly on itinerary/cost plus weighing up the pluses and minuses of the respective cruise lines (and they all have pros and cons and are more alike than different!) but recognition as a returning customer plus certain 'benefits' to which you may be entitled is very welcome - and in some cases can amount to perks worth £100s.

Edited by kruzseeka

We've even reached 'Elite' level on Princess (never having sailed with them) courtesy of points accrued on P&O and Cunard!!!!!

Free minibar :) (I think) but, sadly, only filled once ? :(

How did you manage that, not having ever sailed with Princess ? :confused:

We just qualified for Platinum status, which doesn't really amount to a hill o' beans TBH - only priority boarding is worth writing home about.

The military OBC is a nice little earner though.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Free minibar :) (I think) but, sadly, only filled once ? :(

How did you manage that, not having ever sailed with Princess ? :confused:

We just qualified for Platinum status, which doesn't really amount to a hill o' beans TBH - only priority boarding is worth writing home about.

The military OBC is a nice little earner though.

Sorry!!!! Have mislead you. I was obviously very hazy about the ins and outs and have had to look it up as I'm so clueless about their set-up! We're Platinum too, not Elite! :o My defence is that having not actually travelled with them, I really only have a vague knowledge of their loyalty programme. So I managed to get their levels mixed up and had to read up about the benefits when you queried it. I was just astonished that we were eligible for anything. :eek:

Sadly though, for some inexplicable reason the reciprocal arrangement doesn't exist so if you have travelled with Princess, as you have, P&O doesn't recognise those cruises. What's that all about?

But back to my comment about recognising you on their systems, in registering for Princess they had all our previous eligible cruises listed (P&O) including one which we haven't yet done but have paid for so I suppose as far as they're concerned they've had your money so count it in! But how efficient! They knew without having to be told!!!!!!!

I must also correct my previous assertion too that Cunard points count towards the Princess loyalty levels - they don't. Nor do P&O and Cunard accept each other's which makes it all the more remarkable that Princess accept P&O - perhaps they're trying to poach P&O clients. Good luck to them...... it might even work! ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

Sadly though, for some inexplicable reason the reciprocal arrangement doesn't exist so if you have travelled with Princess, as you have, P&O doesn't recognise those cruises.

You've answered my next question before I'd even asked it - you must be Mystic Meg under a pseudonym !!! :D

As you say, the Princess website experience and personal profile online is pretty slick - probably due to the line's American background.

Last time we had the option (for the first time) of pre-paying tips in Sterling before we joined the cruise - and at a very beneficial exchange rate.

Edited by WeeCountyMan