GEM - port or starboard

pumpkin228

Going next January 10 day eastern Caribbean, what side of the ship should we book our balcony room? It's our honeymoon! :)

Congrats! Depends on what you want to accomplish by booking one side over the other. It doesn't really matter in port because it would be either side tied up to the pier. If you want to watch the Statue of Liberty go by then you would book starboard (but by watching from you balcony you miss seeing Manahattan and Freedom Tower). We were up on deck for sailaway so got to take it all in:).

Port side to see Manhattan skyline, starboard to see lady liberty. Topside when going under the Verrazano bridge. All not to be missed sites...all beautiful. Only time side of the ship matters is during sail away.

Safe sailing

Going next January 10 day eastern Caribbean, what side of the ship should we book our balcony room? It's our honeymoon! :)

It depends if you plan on waking up early to see the sunrise on the way south, which would be on the port side or on the way back which would be on the starboard side. Then again it's a honeymoon you might be more interested in the sunset.

I'm looking at that cruise as well I just asked because of all the problems the gem encountered with the horrible pax on the recent late January cruise

As for which side to get the balcony my only suggestion would be to see if there are any outdoor smoking areas near you

There is an outdoor smoking area on the promenade deck I believe so I would just find out which side it was on and book on the other side

Also at least a few deck above the promenade would be my choice too

We've just done this; we had a port balcony cabin. Go on top deck for sailaway and see everything NYC has to offer. We sailed past Statue of Liberty on our return which was fab!

I've done Caribbean in an aft cabin too which was beautiful as you get to see everything!