Favorite Excursion

I am Lulu

We are doing HAL's double Denali in late July, and we are hoping you have some answers/opinions for us:

1. First morning in Denali, they take us on a tour. It is free, but is it fabulous?

2. Everyone suggests we take the (free) shuttle into Denali no matter what we do in the morning for the afternoon and take our tours later in the day. There is apparently a dog sledding demo at 2:00 in the park -- if we really want to know more about the dog sledding, should we still take a separate tour (Husky Homesteading) or is that enough?

3. Husband really wants to do the glacier landing flight -- early or later evening, or it it weather dependent?

4. Does anyone know if meals are included on the days we are in Denali at HAL's lodge?

Thanks (again)

Start a new thread with this question...you'll get more people to see it and answer it.

1. major marine surprise glacier cruise out of whittier

2. exit glacier

my daughter's for this trip were:

1. Walking of Ancient Oceans and Newborn Forests Tour in icy strait point

2. major marine surprise glacier cruise out of whittier

my 88 year old mom's are:

1. alaska railroad glassdome train from anchorage to seward

2. major marine surprise glacier cruise out of whittier

not sure what my son in law's favorites were.

I should add that on my daughter's trip to alaska 5 years ago, her favorite was rafting in denali (though all the whale watching cruises she did came in a close second)..

as for the trip this past summer, we did lots of excursions during our two weeks in alaska and all of them were fantastic. We weren't disappointed by anything.

Edited by alaska_planner

We are doing HAL's double Denali in late July, and we are hoping you have some answers/opinions for us:

1. First morning in Denali, they take us on a tour. It is free, but is it fabulous?

2. Everyone suggests we take the (free) shuttle into Denali no matter what we do in the morning for the afternoon and take our tours later in the day. There is apparently a dog sledding demo at 2:00 in the park -- if we really want to know more about the dog sledding, should we still take a separate tour (Husky Homesteading) or is that enough?

3. Husband really wants to do the glacier landing flight -- early or later evening, or it it weather dependent?

4. Does anyone know if meals are included on the days we are in Denali at HAL's lodge?

Thanks (again)

What "tour"????? IF the Tundra Wilderness Tour- yes that is "good", Natural History tour- poor choice- you do NOT get into the park. What FREE shuttle? Savage River? Who is "everyone", certainly nothing I'd suggest with timing. The Sled dog demo is 3 times/day. Yes, if you want to know "more", you have several tour options to select from, with the Husky Homestead well reviewed. Depends what kind of "landing" your husband wants?? IF he wants ice then a helicopter trip is excellent choice. , Makes no difference what time.

Meals are NOT included, anywhere, with the land touring, unless they are specifically mentioned in your itinerary. Budget 50% more than you would at home.

If you are interested in taking both the Whittier and Seward boat trips,

I think both are beautiful. Whittier is mostly about Glaciers and landforms.

They are wonderful and well worth it. Less wildlife on this tour [Though the

one from Valdez into PWS was very wildlife intensive, and IMHO second

only to Seward/Kenia] Do Whittier 1st, because I suspect if you do Kenai 1st,

the Whittier will be a let down.

But I feel now I must mention one incident. We took that huge catamaran

from Whittier. Saw beautiful glaciers, and great views, some small amount

[comparatively] of wildlife. The boat was very fast, so we saw a lot. But on

the way back we literally ran over a porpoise, and never even slowed down,

like they didn't notice. But they must have, as several of us pointed it out.

In Seward I honestly doubt that happens much or perhaps at all. They seem

very protective of the life and the environment.

I am not recommending against the Whittier trip, but when a boat that

large goes 40mph there is bound to be some 'accidents'. I still feel a little

nauseous thinking on it.

Edited by generichandle