Ideas for Pre and Post in Copenhagen

cleobella

With one day in Copenhagen before our cruise , I have booked a free walking tour for 2pm, and we can see Trivoli in the evening. With about 2 hours to spend before the walk, what would be good to see that might not be covered on our walking tour? Also, does anyone have a good cheap casual dining suggestion for near town hall or near Kobenhaven station?

Also, with our post day, do you think we would be best to hang in the city or should we try to get out to do a castle tour? Advice appreciated...

The National Museum is free and relatively central to the area you are visiting. We enjoyed their café - wonderful choices with an emphasis on locally sourced Danish food.

I highly recommend the boat tours from Nyhavn. Copenhagen has an amazing system of canals through its downtown area. The tour is informative and scenic.

If you truly wish to eat "budget" - the Danish hot dogs sold from food carts are quite tasty!

We, too, spent a day in Copenhagen before our cruise and a day afterwards.

I agree that going to the National Museum (closed Mondays, however) or taking a canal cruise would be a good way to spend a couple of hours before taking your walking tour. (BTW, we did the 3-hour Free Walking Tour Copenhagen and it was one of the best city tours I've ever been on.) And definitely get a Danish hot dog for your lunch!

On your post-cruise day, there is still a lot to see in Copenhagen, so you may not want to spend the day going out to one of the castles. You could do either the National Museum or the canal tour (whichever you didn't do the first day) and tour Rosenborg Castle. I really enjoyed going through the castle and seeing the crown jewels. If you want a guided tour of Rosenborg Castle, you can go with Richard Anderson who conducts tours daily as "Hans Christian Anderson" (Google: Copenhagen Walks dot com). Or, Rick Steves provides a very good self-guided tour in his books, "Cruise Ports of Northern Europe" or "Scandanavia". (I used this for my tour and it was very informative.)

With one day in Copenhagen before our cruise , I have booked a free walking tour for 2pm, and we can see Trivoli in the evening. With about 2 hours to spend before the walk, what would be good to see that might not be covered on our walking tour? Also, does anyone have a good cheap casual dining suggestion for near town hall or near Kobenhaven station?

Also, with our post day, do you think we would be best to hang in the city or should we try to get out to do a castle tour? Advice appreciated...

Sorry if this is considering hijacking :) but who are you doing the free walking tour with? We had great luck with the free walking tours we booked this past fall in Venice and Barcelona, but will be looking to do one precruise in Copenhagen too - thanks!

Hi Hun,

We have booked with Sandemans New Copenhagen. It seems like the same sort of idea as Runnerbean in Barcelona. I have only heard good things about the tour, no charge but you are expected to tip based on satisfaction. They were well rated with Trip Advisor, and you can sign up on line.

We did our walking tour of Copenhagen with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours. I'm sure the tours by them and Sandeman are pretty similar but I can tell you that our 3-hour tour with Copenhagen Free Walking Tours was EXCELLENT. As I stated in my previous post, it was one of the best city tours I have ever done. (BTW, our guide was Magnus, a really cool young man who knew TONS about his city.)

See: http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk/