UBP and how i used it, getaway 2/7-2/14

hammsz

I'm happy to find out I can get a drinks for my friends (that have the UPB) if I bring their card.

I find it very interesting how many people get all "but why should I tip extra?". No one said you had to, it's just a nice thing to do.

As a former bartender, it's much appreciated. Think of it like this...you go to a bar and always leave $.50 per beer. Only you go somewhere and your bartender is great, you see him or her handing out drinks at the speed of light and is still smiling, so instead you leave $1.00 per beer.

Dollar bills work great. What I do is fold them up and hold on to them underneath my key card. When the bartender takes my card he/she feels the bills and then indiscreetly slides the bills into their pant pocket. I then will receive back a nod of their head and a smile along with supurb service for the entire cruise.

we always do this ;)

I like the fact that this thread addresses the OBP and tipping. I will have the OBP this fall. Since I have already tipped in advance I was wondering if I should tip again. Many people post that they have already tipped so no more tipping is needed. But I am seeing people say give them a dollar a drink if they do a good job such as wait on you at a table. On 15 dollar glass of wine a one dollar tip is considered cheap where I live. But hopefully not on the ship since this would be a second tip on the drink. Let me know someone if this sounds like what I am reading on the forum? Thanks

I bring 100.00 dollar bills and tip 1.00 every time I order a drink, I do that when I go to all-inclusives too, it makes a difference

Exactly what we do. I get a few hundred in small bills/ones and expect it to be all gone by the end of the cruise for tips in various places (bartenders, dock porters, steward, etc).

In my opinion it is totally an optional thing and no one should feel obliged, but for me personally I am already paying 4k for the cruise (family of 4) plus other expenses, another couple of hundred for tips is just treated as part of the cost.

I don't tip for this reason, but I will admit it's nice to enter the bar area and have a drink sitting on the bar waiting by the time you get over to it.

I will be answering questions as well. Its definitely a "culture change" at NCL. I dont think the bartenders are getting the money coming in like they used to from tips. I found a few bartenders that were personable and started telling them to print out my "bill" so i could add a tip to my several rounds of drinks. The only thing on my account review was the actual tip i paid. It changed everything!!! just a few bucks here and there went a very LONG way. My service at Spice H2O was impecable after i helped them out a little bit. I booked the free UBP before they started charging the service fees lol. We came out so far ahead. My friends enjoyed 25+ drinks/shots each day. I drank smoothies all day and fireball all night.

we always tip a little extra, they work hard and deserve it, a few bucks will go a long way

Not sure why this was resurrected, but I don't really care - I'm just glad to see so many happy tippers. I agree with all those who said that tipping a dollar per drink is such a small amount compared to the cruise fare we already paid. I don't need to prove to anyone that I get better service when I tip. I've worked for tips, so I know how it feels to be working your ass off and not making any money. People can say that is NCL's (and the other cruise lines') fault, but if that is the case, why are you punishing the workers?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

My plan is the following : given I am already paying $13.95 in daily service fees and $80.63 in services charges for the "free" UBP promo and $13.95 or so for service charges for the "free" SDP promo, I am simply going to demand good service and if not obtain a refund on my service fees. Trust me. NCL knows who I am.

Are these service fees going directly to the employees or Jack Del Rio's revenue numbers? I doubt 100% of it is being passed on to employees, and sorry that is not something I have control over.

If the average drink is $8.95 and at 18% the average gratuity is $1.61- then i am under a lot of pressure to consume 50 drinks on my cruise!!!

Given I have ordered one drink the last four cruises COMBINED and tipped $2.00 on it they are already getting 8 times the amount from me alcohol wise.

If I am not pleased with my service, I will simply fill out a contact card, get a refund on my service fees, and not sail NCL.

I have no problem tipping a room steward and always have, but this notion of service charges is going overboard (no pun intended)

I think tipping someone you have developed a relationship with is one thing, but to be expected to dole out $1 bills every time you have a drink is absurd especially on vacation.'

I am glad though I have this package- someone tried to scam me last cruise and bill me for drinks on GSC that I didn't order- and I had proof I wasn't even on the island at that time. Heck, one time I was double billed for a coffee I didn't drink as well.

They were apologetic when they realized who they were trying to scam.

So your theory is you'll extra tip the cabin steward (whose already getting tipped via service charge) but not the bartender?? Makes zero sense.

And my gosh you we're billed for a extra coffee? Oh the horror! No extra tips for ANY bartender.

Glad "NCL knows who you are" you sound like a joy to deal with!

I'll continue the occasional extra tip and continue receiving SUPERB service thanks.