Calling all Coffee Lovers!

For those of us (and I believe there are many!) who can’t live without our favorite brand of coffee in the morning, it’s pure torture to be on a ship that serves coffee that tastes like ditchwater. Fortunately, not all cruise lines are created equal when it comes to coffee, which is where your experiences come in.

Is the dining room serving up better morning coffee than the breakfast buffet (or room service)? What do you think of shipboard coffee venues? Please share your opinions and experiences for an upcoming Cruise Critic article on the best brews at sea -- we're particularly interested in hearing what you have to say about Disney, Oceania and RSSC.

The bad news (first): coffer delivered with room service breakfast isn't very good. Somewhat better in the restaurants, but still not great.

The good news: cappucino/expresso in the restaurants is very good and, best of all, they have self-service coffee/cappucino bars on the Voyager (very good) and the Mariner (excellent...different equipment) and, perhaps on Navigator (haven't sailed on her).

My reference standard for coffee is brewed relatively strong from freh-ground beans and drunk within 30 minutes of brewing.

This topic has been addressed many times. Both my lovely bride and I are coffee lovers. Before we started cruising a couple of years ago we were led to believe that shipboard coffee on RSSC wasn't very good. Nothing could be further from the truth. After 10 cruises on all of the RSSC ships I can honestly say that we've never had a bad cup of brewed coffee. The self dispense coffee machines aboard Voyager, on the other hand, are not very good. Wish they'd get rid of them.

I usually pack a coffee press, immersion heater, and fresh ground beans so I can have a predictable cuppa to start my day. BUt with RSSC's room service coffee I don't feel the need to drag this extra equipment aboard. Unlike Dougburns I like being able to stop by the coffee station for a quick double expresso. Not the best, but comparable to what they serve in the dining room.

For those on the crossing, be sure to try the syrup thick espresso in Madeira (called a bica). the locals stop for them several times a day. They're about two swallows....drunk quickly while steaming hot. Not a hint of bitterness! Very addictive!

I am one of those Californian's who loves her Starbucks. I brew the expresso roast at home from fresh ground beans every day. The first RSSC cruise, I had a real problem with the strength of the coffee and I'd order double cappucino's for breakfast. But after the 2nd cruise they'd changed it and it was quite good (First tow were Mariner). I found the coffee on The Navigator (2nd two cruises) excellent both times and the PG coffee was just as good. After dinner, I've learned to just enjoy the Cappucino and not bother with the drip. They will make the coffee stronger or weaker for you - just ask for your preference. A big cup of MUD, fresh brewed, please!

Any more the cappucino and any other of the exotic stuff aboard Voyager is dispense machine made. Not so the last time we were aboard Mariner. Will find out if they've changed in Feb on the South America cruise. Navigator did not have the dispense machines the last time we were aboard, nor did the PG. Diamond never had them either, thank goodness.

Archived