Mexican Riveria Sapphire review

cruiserfan

Cruiserfan & Joyceyw - thank you for your remarks. I like to hear the bad with the good also. I took the Sapphire 10/15 cruise & I thought the "service" in the bars, dining room & Horizon Court to be at best, disinterested, and at worst - downright rude. It was our first cruise on Princess & we won't be back. I felt their attitude was "herd 'em up & herd 'em out...". We felt like very small members of a giant herd of cattle. I realize there are people who love Princess - just goes to show ya how many different opinions there are in the world. It never ceases to amaze me.

Cruiserfan and JoyceyW - thanks for your remarks. We, also, are among those who were disenchanted with Princess. Our 1st Princess cruise will be our last. We took the 10/15 Sapphire Princess cruise to Mexico. While the ship is beautiful, we've seldom encontered such bad service as we experienced in the bars and restaurants. At best, it was disinterested - at worst, it was downright rude. We also thought the food, while served in great quantities, was very ordinary. The general service attitude on board was "herd e'm up and herd 'em out." We felt like very small cows in a huge herd of cattle. The room steward & room service, however, were quite good. I know many people love Princess. If you enjoy it - I am happy for you - go for it. But realize that's your opinion, and while you are entitled to it, so are those of us who feel differently.

Golfette we weren't the only ones on our cruise that had the same sentiments. Again it wasn't that we didn't enjoy ourselves, this cruise didn't fit our lifestyles. I don't want to sit inside all day doing classes and activities. They only did pool activities the first day, the rest of the time it was the geeky corny guy on the guitar. I'm used to one pool being more relaxed and the other pool lively and full of activities.

Golfette we weren't the only ones on our cruise that had the same sentiments. Again it wasn't that we didn't enjoy ourselves, this cruise didn't fit our lifestyles. I don't want to sit inside all day doing classes and activities. They only did pool activities the first day, the rest of the time it was the geeky corny guy on the guitar. I'm used to one pool being more relaxed and the other pool lively and full of activities.

Joyce~ welcome back! I am in the midst of doing my review from the Oct 22 sailing and I agree on choice of music.... one day at the aft pool they had the duo M&M playing ...well one was on an accordian and the other a violin... playing the Tarantella poolside.... just did not seem to fit:confused:

Emmy

Joyce~ welcome back! I am in the midst of doing my review from the Oct 22 sailing and I agree on choice of music.... one day at the aft pool they had the duo M&M playing ...well one was on an accordian and the other a violin... playing the Tarantella poolside.... just did not seem to fit:confused:

Emmy

ROFLMAO - I remember them, DH was like *****???? when the guy with the accordian pulled it out of his case.

Here's what I posted to another thread...hope this sheds some light on the sapphire.

Ok, so I got to this tonight instead of waiting until the weekend.

Because of possible bandwidth issues from my web hosting service, I'm not going to post a new thread in the Princess area with what I've done...because lookie-loos will just go to my site to be nosey with no intention of taking this cruise or going on the sapphire princess.

However, feel free to mention me on any roll calls if you find that people are interested in the Princess Patters for the 2005/06 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera.

Honestly, I'm happy to provide the information, but I just don't want to waste bandwidth and have to take these down.

With that being said, here goes...

We are going on Dec 17, and really appreciated ALL the reviews. We know we really enjoyed the Grand two years ago. When comparing to RCCL, Carnival, NCL and Celebrity, Princess has the slight edge over the others at that time. We will let you know our experience on the Sapphire.

In particular, we would like to thank JulieU89 for posting the Patters. My wife Julia couldn't wait, she likes to plan in advance (extreme type A personality). Reading the Patters 40 days ahead of time really makes her day! Was there a "champaigne fountain" - we did not see it on the activities?

Thanks again,

Vic

It's so interesting to read other people's reviews and see how everyone takes things so differently!! While some people have been disappointed that there were so many inside activities and nothing to do at the pool - I am very happy to hear it!! Living in AZ, I can hang out by the pool any old time (it'll be 86 degrees today) so I'm really excited that there will be so many other fun things to do! And if I am out by the pool, I'll probably be sleeping off a hang-over, so I'll enjoy the soft peaceful music! ;)

A big part of the reason we decided to go on a cruise, as opposed to just flying to Mexico and staying in a hotel, is that we'll never have to search for something to do, or have to coordinate and plan our own excursions.

I guess what I'm saying is - don't be afraid to share your opinions, even if you think they're unflattering. It may be just what someone else is looking for! Thanks to all who've posted so far - I'm looking forward to reading more!!

We just returned from the Sapphire Princess on 11/5/05. Don't get me wrong, we had a great time, but I was not overly impressed. The ship was very large and I thought should have had a few more activities. Yes they had things planned, but a ceramics class is not something I am very interested in. Also, I was not extremely impressed with the food. We did the traditional dining and I just didn't think the class and elegance was there that used to be. Every other cruise I have been on there was so much silverware that you didn't know what to eat with. Here you had a fork, spoon and knife. That's all you need I know, but I was just a little surprised that the same fork was used for salads and entree'. It's a small thing and it didn't bother me, just something I noticed. I think what is happening is that they want you to go to the pay dining rooms in order to get the feeling and experience you used to get in the regular dining room. I just don't think I should have to pay extra for what used to be included.

Also, I just didn't think the staff were as friendly and outgoing as on other ships I have been on. On Celebrity and RCCL, it seems that everyone you passed spoke to you; not so on Princess.

We were with a group of friends so we really didn't do a lot of things on the ship. Most of the time we were together having our own party. We went to the Skywalker Lounge one night and had a good time.

All the men went on the canopy tour in PV and they said it was the highlight of their trip. We gays went to the Krystal Hotel and had almost a 2 hour massage. WONDERFUL! In Mazatlan I had arranged a tour with Frank. He is absolutely great. We met him around 7:30 a.m. and didn't get back until almost 4:00 for $50.00 per person. Can't beat that.

In Cabo we just walked around and of course went to Cabo Wabo. I can imagine that place would be rocking at night. I think we would like to go to Cabo and stay for a few days some time. I need to find out when it is a little cooler. My gosh it was hot and having to stand in that line waiting on the shuttles was horrible.

This was not our first cruise on Princess, but I am not sure if we will go back. I just think all the cruise lines are starting to slack off a little compared to what the cruise experience was several years ago. We did have a great time though. A cruise is always what you make of it.

Teresa

Was there a "champaigne fountain" - we did not see it on the activities?

Yes, there was champagne waterfall around 11:30pm the night of 2nd formal night (Thursday night).

It's a good idea to plan ahead, so you won't miss the activities you really want to do.

For dining room menus on the Sapphire:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=249520

For other tips about enjoying Sapphire:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=250405

It is interesting that people came away with different opinions of the same cruise. That's why there are so many different cruiselines serving different interests. I think Princess has a market niche for a certain type of cruisers, but you can't really beat its price points for the type of cruising you will experience. The food and service on Princess aren't the same as our previous Princess cruises and it was a little disappointing that it did not meet our previous Princess experiences. Hiring good service people are very difficult, so I see this as the biggest challenge for Princess' management. I hope you all fill out your questionnaires at the end of your cruise.

Thank you!

My wife was in heaven as she went through the menus! Speaking of anticipation, half the fun for us cc is the preparation before the cruise.

merela - it's a lot of work - you provide amazing infor and insights - much appreciated! We will always enjoy the cruise, no matter how it compares with others... after all, that is the point to enjoy our vacation first.

Vic

I think what is happening is that they want you to go to the pay dining rooms in order to get the feeling and experience you used to get in the regular dining room. I just don't think I should have to pay extra for what used to be included.

I find it baffling that people strive to pay just over $1,000 pp for a mini suite yet they want service as though it is still 1990 when you would have had to pay upwards of $5,000 for an smaller room with a porthole but you sure got good food and incredible service. News for you folks...it's still out there. Try Seabourn. They'll even throw in the pirates for free!

Seriously though...in this day and age where we always want more for less, you have to find a common ground with whoever is providing the service. You want a superior experience? Cough up the $20 and pay it. It's still a lot better than what would be equivilant to $7437 based on inflation for what you used to get. It's 2005...the days of the mega liners with more stuff to do than ever before and sadly to say more things to complain about.

My wife and I are going on our 5 year anniversary cruise in April on the Sapphire. I'd be silly to think it will be a carbon copy cruise of the experience we had on the Grand 5 years ago...but knowing what I know now because of these boards and what people tell me, I will have my expectations low and my cruise will be great!

7 days on a ship with people waiting on me, getting up whenever I want, getting unlimited food and entertainment...sure beats the ho hum of my day to day life. I don't care if so and so didn't say hi to me as I expected them to as I pass by nor do I care what kind of music they play at the pool. I just plan to have the most relaxing vacation of my life. It's your choice.

Well said Zebboriah. I went on the October 22nd sailing of the Sapphire and for the price that I paid (Baja Deck, Balcony Cabin) I feel I got what I paid for. No real complaints at all. Anytime you can get away from the "hum drum" go for it, it will certainly be a better time than being at home. Have a great vacation.:)

How many of the pools are for adults only?

Thanks

Tina

but unless you cruise during school breaks, you won't see that many children in the swimming pools. The only time I've seen a lot of children is in the afternoon of the last sea day. I guess all the adults are busying packing and the kids just hung out in the pool.

The adult only pool is too small to do laps, I believe.

At the regular pool on the Lido deck, you can do decent laps around the pool if you go before 8am or after 6pm.

Speaking of pools - are they sea water, or fresh? I've only been on RCCL ships, and they both had sea water. I've also heard rumors that some ships have regular pool water (fresh), which I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Archived