Never been there...

dcedar

I am thinking of saving money and staying further away from the cruise port. (30 minutes or so) I am looking for a hotel with parking. (length of cruise or not) How is Gretna?

I want to see the best of New Orleans... landmarks, parks, etc. I am thinking of taking a tour, walking or not. I want to take pictures!!! :)

Is there a central place I can drive my car to and walk around? Or take a street car? What are the chances of finding parking on the street in January? Is parking per day or per hour in the tourist-y areas?

What should I not miss out on???

I will be with my husband and 13 year old son so... no spending my entire time in New Orleans drinking and earning beads! (Sorry, I know there is so much more to NO than that)

I don't want to spend my vacation budget on parking but I also don't want to spend my whole vacation looking for a parking spot. LOL

We are staying at the Courtyard Marriott in Westbank/Gretna this weekend. The hotel has only been open a couple months. I had a suite booked for Saturday night in N.O., but when we decided to add another night we canceled and booked in Gretna. We'll drive to N.O. Saturday morning and park in public parking. Hoping this works out.....I've never stayed in Gretna before. As for parking while on the cruise, we decided to park at Fulton Place Parking. It was $9/day. Good luck planning! Hope you have a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! We are doing the same thing. We want to walk around FQ Sunday morning before boarding. I'm trying to decide if we should drop off luggage to the porters and park or find public parking for a few hours and leave the luggage in the car. Not sure that's safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

If I'm looking to save on a hotel I'll stay in Metairie or Kenner.

For parking I have a couple suggestions. You could park in the river walk mall parking lot. If you spend $20 in the mall, you get a discounted rate. Julia street is right there. You could take a street car to the French quarter at $1.25/person exact change needed. Or walk to the other end of the mall, exit inside Hilton Riverside. Go down stairs and you're at the poydras street car stop or you can walk down down by the river or canal street.

PARKING LOCATIONS & RATES:

Customer parking is available in the Center-adjacent "Whale" Surface Lot and the Hilton World Trade Center Garage, operated by Riverside Parking (Hilton Hotel). The "Whale" Surface Lot is located at the corner of Convention Center Blvd. & Julia Street. The World Trade Center Garage is located at the corner of Convention Center Blvd. & Poydras Street. The Outlet Collection at Riverwalk shoppers can enjoy a generous validation program provided by the lot operators. Center guests who spend a minimum of $20.00 during their visit will receive the following $7.00 discounted rate:

0 - 1 hour: $3.00

1 - 2 hours: $5.00

2 - 4 hours: $7.00

4 - 6 hours: $11.00

6 - 12 hours: $20.00

12 - 24 hours: $35.00

44c03dcc0c2783d1d7c67fadaab963a4.jpg

Or if you want to skip the mall and streetcar and get right to the French quarter, you can park at one of the lots on N Peters St between Iberville and Conti Streets. You can walk to Jackson Square, Cafe Du Monde, French Market from there. You can see Jackson square under the word Google in the photo. I don't recall the parking rates in these lots. It's been awhile since I've needed to park there.

b2786274185582f104c295f321f8914d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint Greg

We have stayed at the Prytania Park and Prytania Oaks, they are in they Garden district and let you park for free. (you may have to stay 2 nights, not sure, we did both times)....It is a quick streetcar ride to the French Quarter, there is a walmart 5 minutes away if you forget anything. We took a taxi from the hotel to the cruise port, it is a flat $8 per person charge for the taxi. (was great the first time when there were just 2 of us, but the second time there were 6 and the 5 minute ride to the ship cost $48)....

Thanks... this is all very helpful. I am taking notes:)

I think the Prytania places are adults only. We will have our son with us. He is only 13.

The Prytania Oaks is adult only however the Prytania Park Hotel allows children. If you want the free cruise parking you need to stay either 2 days before the cruise, 2 days after, or 1 day before and 1 day after.