Coffee, Princess and the Environment

TorontoTL

I was reading something on the Celebrity boards about their coffee being liquid concentrate and it made me wonder. Does Princess use the concentrate because it results in less garbage waste? If they were to brew coffee from grounds for everyone on the ship, that would create a whole lot of waste that is very heavy that they'd have to lug around taking lots of space until they unload it with all the other garbage at the next available port. I know that is unlikely to be the reason they use concentrate, but wanted to run it by you guys. I hope someday they'll start making better coffee, but until then, it won't stop me from getting on the Coral or the Sapphire Princess ships in the next year.;)

Princess does, their coffee is AWFUL and when/if we book again we will bring our own coffee press. I do not think that this has anything to do with the environment. It is purely a cost saving measure....both on the coffee itself and more importantly the manpower that is required to continually check that each coffee station is full. Those horrible bags last MUCH longer, hence they require much less labour. This should be no surprise, most of the cruise lines are being forced to cut corners. Before long they will be asking the passengers to row the boat in order to save on fuel, or pay a surcharge.

On the Grand we had a dicussion in the elevator about the coffee. One lady said in all seriousness "the coffee is not bad at all if you eat a grapefruit first." She seemed confused by our laughter.

We bring our own coffee and a 4-cup maker with us.

I was reading something on the Celebrity boards about their coffee being liquid concentrate and it made me wonder. Does Princess use the concentrate because it results in less garbage waste?

Yes that's one of the reasons but there's more to it than that. The concentrate takes up less storage space on the ship and eliminates a significant source of garbage.

But it also enables a more automated delivery system that requires less manual labor to execute and makes it easier to serve massive numbers of people rapidly.

The concept is not inherently bad given the circumstances of cruise ship food and beverage challenges but I think they need to look for a better grade of concentrate. Until they do... I'm bringing my own coffee!

Hey count me in too . . . I really don't mind the coffee at all, and I drink coffee all day long and Starbucks at least once a day! I can not imagine why anyone would lug a coffee maker along on a cruise! In fact on our recent Star cruise in September I never had a bad cup of coffee.

I’m with the rest of you – I don’t think the coffee that bad. I’m not a habitual drinker, but I do like a good jolt in the morning. While the Princess coffee isn’t a Starbuck’s Grande, it seems to do the job just fine. And I’ve never felt the coffee in the dining room bad…

Yes that's one of the reasons but there's more to it than that. The concentrate takes up less storage space on the ship and eliminates a significant source of garbage.

But it also enables a more automated delivery system that requires less manual labor to execute and makes it easier to serve massive numbers of people rapidly.

Thanks for the full explanation – I was always under the impression that the coffee was concentrated to facilitate its use on board ships, but you’ve got all the details!

We just got off the Dawn Princess after a 10 day cruise and the first stop we made was at a Strabucks for a decent cup of coffee. Although it wasn't awful it was not very satisfying. In the future we'll bring our own coffee and a press, just use the hot water dispenser at the coffee stations (bringing your own coffee maker is a no-no according to the rules).

Even the Capaccino's were pretty second rate. If you like good strong coffee don't count on it onboard unless you bring your own.

Archived