Car rental near San Juan Pan Am pier?

Love PalmTrees

Hi! Our first cruise with RCCL - so excited!!! We are on the Jewel out of San Juan - Pan American pier, specifically. My question is what car rental companies are nearby and do any have complimentary shuttles to the pier? Thanks!!

I've not noticed any car rental shuttles, but I would ask on the Ports of Call forum too:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

The Sheraton at the Convention Center is supposed to have an AVIS location on site. This hotel is next to the Pan Am pier and about a half-mile or so from the gangway. However, there is NO sidewalk and you'd be taking your life in your hands, especially with the traffic during a turnover. So, a taxi is probably the better way to go. I took a taxi from the Hyatt House (also within a mile) to the pier and it was $12 + $1 per bag. No too bad sharing with another couple, but still.

So, maybe check with Avis. A member of our party actually went to the airport and got a car for his post-cruise stay so he could return it prior to his flight.

Good luck & enjoy your first cruise!

we took a similar cruise on Jewel out of San Jaun 2 years ago. We rented a car for our pre stay of 3 days in San Jaun so we could explore and go to the Rainforest on out own.

The best way is to rent from the airport and return to the airport, then take a cab from there to the port, it wasn't expensive, I think about 18 each way.

we took a similar cruise on Jewel out of San Jaun 2 years ago. We rented a car for our pre stay of 3 days in San Jaun so we could explore and go to the Rainforest on out own.

The best way is to rent from the airport and return to the airport, then take a cab from there to the port, it wasn't expensive, I think about 18 each way.

I agree, probably easiest to grab a 20.00 taxi to the airport. All the rental companies will be there and then you can price shop for the car.

Thanks, everyone, for all the good ideas/info. Right now I am leaning toward renting and returning at the airport and grabbing a cab to the pier. I want to obviously keep costs in mind, but also not make things too complicated. No sense to start out the cruise all frazzled. Thanks again, fellow CC members! :)

for all those that replied that they have rented at San Juan what I would like to know is if the rental company tried to upsell or make you purchase insurance. I have insurance on my credit card and would like to know if that is enough or do we have to take insurance locally? It adds up and we were going to rent for 6 days but if I have to purchase insurance then may have to cut back on the number of days to 2-3.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
for all those that replied that they have rented at San Juan what I would like to know is if the rental company tried to upsell or make you purchase insurance. I have insurance on my credit card and would like to know if that is enough or do we have to take insurance locally? It adds up and we were going to rent for 6 days but if I have to purchase insurance then may have to cut back on the number of days to 2-3.

Thanks.

First make sure about the type and limitations of the insurance through the credit card. Usually when a renter shows proof of insurance through the card company you don't need the car rental's insurance upsell (they'll more than likely try to sell it anyway). I've even bought rental insurance when booking with Expedia and never had any problems or have been offered any more insurance than Expedia's cheaper but comparable alternative.