QM2 overnight in Boston July 4

3rdGenCunarder

We will be in Boston on QM2, staying overnight on July 4. Has anyone done this before? Does Cunard provide any kind of tour to see the fireworks?

MANY years ago, we were on QE2 in Boston on July 4. We were anchored somewhere off Castle Island Park (I think that's where we were, definitely not docked, but anchored with a good view of the airport) In the evening, we backed up the channel so that we'd have a view of the fireworks from the top decks. Then when it was over, we just sailed away.

But this time, we're docked overnight. So how likely is it that Cunard will arrange some kind of excursion? I don't want to go independently, because I know how these things are. People start staking out spaces in the morning, and I'm not doing that.

Kathy, in past years, QM2 was docked in Boston Harbor on July 4th, but all aboard was around midnight on the 4th and the ship sailed around 1am on July 5th. Not an overnight stay - just a port stop allowing passengers time to see the evening festivities ashore.

If plans have changed for 2016, I think Cunard would have capitalized on that, but as it is, the only news I've see is that Mary Matalin and James Carville will be guest speakers http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2016/03/04/politics-cruise-matalin-carville/81087298/

Salacia

Edited to add: I've seen schedules for this cruise that misleadingly show July 4th as an overnight in Boston - that has created confusion in the past. (I think there was a thread about that not too long ago, but I can't find it right now.)

Edited by Salacia

We have done several of these 4th of July , 5 night cruises .

All were advertised as Boston Overnight , but actually departed 12:30am .

I don't recall any ship tour to the fireworks offered or met anyone onboard that attended them . They are quite far off . You can barely see them but can't hear them onboard .

As you can expect , Boston is very busy on the 4th .

We have done several of these 4th of July , 5 night cruises .

All were advertised as Boston Overnight , but actually departed 12:30am .

I don't recall any ship tour to the fireworks offered or met anyone onboard that attended them . They are quite far off . You can barely see them but can't hear them onboard .

As you can expect , Boston is very busy on the 4th .

No, I never met anyone onboard who attended the fireworks either. We usually watched the fireworks on Deck 13, although The Lookout was always pretty crowded (nice atmosphere amongst fellow passengers though). Of course, this year Deck 13 will be very different so I don't know what the best vantage point will be. We enjoyed watching lots of smaller fireworks in various areas closer to the ship from our balcony after the official fireworks ended, but even better was the sing-along in The Golden Lion :)

For the several times we took this cruise, we've stayed on board in Boston. The USS Constitution can be seen from the ship as it passes the harbor in the early afternoon which is a great photo op. Unfortunately for passengers spending time the afternoon on the deck/pool, air traffic is loud and frequent (but not as hot and crowded as Boston !)

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

The website says we depart "early morning" on the 5th. Of course, that could be one minute past midnight.

On the QE2 cruise, they offered a tour that included dinner (I think) at a high-up restaurant with a view of the fireworks. But somebody must have realized that getting us back to the ship, especially as we were tendered, would make our departure quite late. This was back when QE2 went from Boston to New York overnight, and they really needed to depart on time. So the excursion was cancelled.

Being at Black Falcon isn't as bad for airport noise as the anchor location was. One of our cruise stops in Boston was with my parents. This wasn't July 4. We were right across from the runway. DH and Dad stayed on board, sitting on Sundeck and counting the planes while they attempted to exhaust the ship's supply of Guinness. (At peak times, a plane was taking off from Logan every 45 seconds!) Mom and I went into the city and picked up a rental car so I could take her to Salem.

CruiseCal.com has us arriving in Boston at 12.00 midday on the 4th July and leaving at 01.00 on the 5th July

We were thinking of doing the Freedom Trail during the afternoon and being back on board hoping to be able to see the fireworks in the evening.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx?sailID=CarnUK/M609

First time in Boston and really looking forward to it!

Did this cruise a few years ago. Boston was hot and crowded. Having been to Boston many times, we returned to the ship quickly and enjoyed having the ship "to ourselves," so to speak.

The fireworks in the distance are a non-event.

Nevertheless, it is a pleasant short cruise.

Did this cruise a few years ago. Boston was hot and crowded. Having been to Boston many times, we returned to the ship quickly and enjoyed having the ship "to ourselves," so to speak.

The fireworks in the distance are a non-event.

Nevertheless, it is a pleasant short cruise.

Yes it is ["a pleasant short cruise"], although a costly one - for reasons that defy justification.

Edited by Salacia

CruiseCal.com has us arriving in Boston at 12.00 midday on the 4th July and leaving at 01.00 on the 5th July

We were thinking of doing the Freedom Trail during the afternoon and being back on board hoping to be able to see the fireworks in the evening.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryLookup/tabid/2918/Default.aspx?sailID=CarnUK/M609

First time in Boston and really looking forward to it!

Thanks for the info. I tried the Massport website and couldn't find our cruise.

Check out the Freedom Trail online before you decide to do this. A lot of it is walking by modern buildings where a sign says "on this site..." Ben Franklin's birthplace and the Boston Massacre are two of those that I remember. For a first visit to a city, I recommend a hoho bus. It's a good way to get an overview of the city without wearing out your feet. Or just go to North Boston to see Paul Revere's house and Old North Church and then wander around the area.

Bobby1119 is right. It can be hot as hell in Boston in the summer.

We will do Immigration in Boston. Cunard tends to make a hash of the whole thing, so don't plan on having the whole afternoon while we're there.

Thanks for that. It's not such a short cruise for us as we are doing the transatlantic before and after too.

The HoHo bus sounds like it might be a good option. They're still showing repeats of 'Cheers' over here and I was a huge fan first time around so wouldn't mind seeing the bar that was used for the outside shots.

You will probably have many US cruisers onboard as it is a good way to sample Cunard or just enjoy a Cunard cruise without excessive travel.

Been on several of these Independence Day sailings and always amazed how Cunard "celebrates" our Revolution from British Rule [emoji631]