British Isles cruise may 2017

We just booked this cruise while on board Independence this past weekend. Has anyone ever been to Edinburgh on a ship and if so where does it dock? Just trying to figure out so that we can get into Edinburgh to see hubbys family.

Wow!! Which ship/which ports?

Margee

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

its on vision of the seas from amsterdam edinburgh loch ness glasgow dublin and channel islands back to amsterdam

Big ships moor on the river at Queensferry. They tender you ashore where there are buses waiting to take you into Edinburgh ( at a cost ). Alternatively walk up the hill path to the main road and catch the local bus or the train. Edinburgh is a great city with lots of history, take the green city tour bus by Waverley station for a great 2 hour tour.

Big ships moor on the river at Queensferry. They tender you ashore where there are buses waiting to take you into Edinburgh ( at a cost ). Alternatively walk up the hill path to the main road and catch the local bus or the train. Edinburgh is a great city with lots of history, take the green city tour bus by Waverley station for a great 2 hour tour.

My husband is from Edinburgh,we were just wondering what part of Queensferry they dock at or if they tender from the small island in the middle of the firth. We spent 2 weeks there in november,tour guide not needed.lol

We just booked this cruise while on board Independence this past weekend. Has anyone ever been to Edinburgh on a ship and if so where does it dock? Just trying to figure out so that we can get into Edinburgh to see hubbys family.

We live 20 mins from Edinburgh.

The itinerary says it will dock at Leith. That is at Ocean Terminal if you look on Google Maps. Overnight as well is a good thing. At the moment £4 each gives you a daily bus ticket and busses are readily available at the front of Ocean Terminal to take you up to the town Princess Street is where you would get off and everything is in easy reach.

The bigger ships tend to tender at South Queensferry, so Leith is a bonus.

Edited by bigeck

I'm just disappointed that this cruise is in May. RC dropped the British Isles cruise after summer of 2013 (sailing out of Copenhagen). We have a kid in junior high who won't be done with school until June 6th or 9th. Too bad they don't sail this itinerary in July.

I also live in Edinburgh and last year a couple of large ships tendered to Newhaven, Leith.

The attached post is very useful http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2231904.

DH and I went down to Newhaven to see X reflection as we had sailed on it the previous year. ( It looked completely different in dreich Edinburgh compared to the blue of the Adriatic!).

There were lots of Bus reps at Newhaven to help passengers get on the correct bus into Edinburgh. As bigeck says a £4 day bus ticket lets you travel unlimited in Edinburgh all day.

I also live in Edinburgh and last year a couple of large ships tendered to Newhaven, Leith.

The attached post is very useful http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2231904.

DH and I went down to Newhaven to see X reflection as we had sailed on it the previous year. ( It looked completely different in dreich Edinburgh compared to the blue of the Adriatic!).

There were lots of Bus reps at Newhaven to help passengers get on the correct bus into Edinburgh. As bigeck says a £4 day bus ticket lets you travel unlimited in Edinburgh all day.

I was there as well. Probably sitting outside the Brewers Fayre having a drink.

Celebrity Silhouette tenders at Newhaven this year and is doing the Tattoo as an excursion.

A few years ago, I completed a survey by Rci. At the end they asked if I had anything to add, which I replied, why not do a British Isles cruise like Princess.

A few days later I received an email asking what I meant by a BI cruise. I replied with the Princess Itinerary and said they are sending Royal Princess (this year it's Caribbean Princess). They must be making money as they sail almost full every 12 days.

They replied within a few days saying they are thinking about this. Not thinking hard enough as still no Royal around the Uk. Even if they had tried a few weeks with Navigator from Southampton.

Ships this year,

http://www.cruiseforth.com/content/ship/

We live 20 mins from Edinburgh.

The itinerary says it will dock at Leith. That is at Ocean Terminal if you look on Google Maps. Overnight as well is a good thing. At the moment £4 each gives you a daily bus ticket and busses are readily available at the front of Ocean Terminal to take you up to the town Princess Street is where you would get off and everything is in easy reach.

The bigger ships tend to tender at South Queensferry, so Leith is a bonus.

Thanks for the info.Hubby is from Edinburgh so he is very familiar with the area