How does Seabourn handle gluten free food

richarduk

Hi.

I would appreciate any assistance in finding out how Seabourn handle customers with a gluten free diet.

We don't like to plan ahead for food and we know all to well that some cruise lines require notice. I'm hoping Seabourn are one step ahead with this!

I'm interested in all main dining venues but also room service.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

Seabourn will work with you but it does require some advance planning.

The chef will normally meet personally with any individuals with food allergies/restrictions. They will then receive an advance copy of the next day's menus with all of the dishes that they can safely have (including those with modifications) so that they can be safely prepared.

For those who have a true gluten allergy (not just a sensitivity or preference), this is a welcome and necessary life-saving step and since safe meal prep requires sterile areas, it's understandable that meals would need to be ordered in advance. They will go out f their way to accommodate though including providing gluten-free breadsticks at dinner!

Vegetarians and vegans are also treated very well!

I am gluten free and have almost 200 days on SB. There are so many options including pizza, bread sticks (so good my husband prefers them to the regular ones) and those yummy rolls they serve in R2. Ask for GF french fries as the ones they serve at the grill are coated with gluten (that's what makes them so good). Always ordered ahead and was never denied a dish--they found a way to make it GF. Even pasta!:)

Thanks for your replies.

I do not have have a life threatening reaction to gluten but I do get a bit ill.

If I choose not to plan ahead some days, would I manage in the Collonade and R2 if I am advised by the staff and choose accordingly?

Also, if I order room service, do they offer gluten free breads for sandwiches/burgers etc, without pre-ordering?

Also!!....do they offer gluten free breads/pastries at breakfast, again without preordering?

Thank you.

Colonnade is easy. Plenty of fresh fruit, salads etc. and hot foods you can select yourself. I would ask for bread separately. For someone who is coeliac the arrangement for toast is not adequate as a single toaster is used, but they will arrange toasted gluten free bread to be delivered to you if you ask. You should let them know your requirements early on so that if you want gluten free items they are available. You can also do this on your pre-cruise registration

I filled in the guest form online and mentioned that I ate GF. I had no problems. They bought me rice crackers with my cheese plate each evening (I didn't even have to ask). As I have an intolerance and am not celiac it was easy to make selections that worked for me. After eating the little rolls they made in R2 and finding out they were made with Tapioca flour I did some research and have an amazing recipe that I have made numerous times. So easy. I do understand that people who are celiac need to be very vigilant and would suggest you meet with the chef on board. Seabourn really do go out of their way to accommodate guests who have food allergies.

If there is another operator that provides the MDR breakfast that some crave, and other aspects of the offering line up, then those who want MDR breakfast have the choice. I fully appreciate Seabourn's stance on this one. On the days it is open there are so few that use MDR for breakfast it's not practical to offer the service levels required.

Personally, I would always choose to have breakfast outside in Colonnades (weather permitting). There I have the choice of service or buffet. For lunch it's Patio Grill (weather permitting) or Colonnades (outside). Then dinner is more often in MDR where the setting offers a different experience. We will find out in 3 weeks what the new menus are like!

I filled in the guest form online and mentioned that I ate GF. I had no problems. They bought me rice crackers with my cheese plate each evening (I didn't even have to ask). As I have an intolerance and am not celiac it was easy to make selections that worked for me. After eating the little rolls they made in R2 and finding out they were made with Tapioca flour I did some research and have an amazing recipe that I have made numerous times. So easy. I do understand that people who are celiac need to be very vigilant and would suggest you meet with the chef on board. Seabourn really do go out of their way to accommodate guests who have food allergies.

Could you share the recipe?

When I was on the Odyssey in May 2015 there was one member of staff who was behind the buffet at the Colonnade and looked after me. He would always tell me what I could eat and what not. Made it very easy. He made suggestions for breakfast on what they could make. Yum.