compensation on used future cruise credits

LindaRochdale

Has anyone ever used a future cruise credit, (given for a disrupted cruise) then had the next cruise disrupted and compensation awarded. We used a cruise credit of £330 given from a disrupted cruise in Japan towards a cruise to Hawaii. There was a fire onboard the ship which caused severe disruption to the itinerary and considerable concen as to the safety of the ship. We were given letters onboard the ship stating that the cost of the cruise would be refunded %100 in cash and we would also receive a future cruise credit of %50 of the cost. Princess are now saying that the original cruise credit of £330 has been used and are only entitled to compensation on the cash part of the cruise. This means that we have not actually had any benefit from our Japan cruise. Surely we are not the only cruisers that this has happened to?

Princess are now saying that the original cruise credit of £330 has been used and are only entitled to compensation on the cash part of the cruise. This means that we have not actually had any benefit from our Japan cruise.

Yes you have: your out of pocket cost for the second cruise was reduced by that amount. The fact that that amount of cash subsequently was fully refunded to you does not mean you lost the first credit. Are you really looking the gift horse in the mouth by insisting that the 50% FCC you have now been gifted as further compensation is insufficient because it did not take the value of the previous compensation into account? I'm sorry but that is petty and mean.

Surely we are not the only cruisers that this has happened to?

I'm sure more than a few others on your Hawaii cruise had also used FCCs for part of their fare, whether as a pre-purchased FCD or (as yours was) compensatory. And none of them will be allowed to double dip either--not that anyone else would be expecting to.

Edited by fishywood

Thanks Fishywood for your response. Perhaps I did not make it clear but we did not receive the 100 % cash on our used future cruise credit. Indeed we did not expect to but we did expect a future cruise credit. The letter from the company said that we would receive the credits in the way that we had paid the cost of the cruise. We paid £330 cruise credit and £370 for the cruise. We have only been credited with the 100% refund and 50 % FCC on the cash portion.

We also paid over £1000 in flights and hotels for both cruises only to visit 1 port on the itinerary in Japan and 1 in Hawaii. Perhaps we should stick to Mediterranean cruises from now on.

I understand where you're coming from, fishywood; however, I'm with LindaRochdale on this one.

Princess offered a refund for the Hawaii cruise which should consist of crediting all payments and credits used to pay for the cruise. This would include reinstatement of the £330 credit from the previous cruise plus any other payments made.

We always use purchased Future Cruise Credits as deposits when booking a cruise and make the final payment via credit card. In the same situation as LindaRochdale I would expect a refund of the final payment and either reinstatement of the FCCs or a credit to my credit card in the amount of $200...$100 for each FCC.

There is no difference between a purchased FCC and one awarded by Princess in this situation...both should be refunded or reinstated.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

Edited by -Lew-

Thanks Fishywood for your response. Perhaps I did not make it clear but we did not receive the 100 % cash on our used future cruise credit. Indeed we did not expect to but we did expect a future cruise credit. The letter from the company said that we would receive the credits in the way that we had paid the cost of the cruise. We paid £330 cruise credit and £370 for the cruise. We have only been credited with the 100% refund and 50 % FCC on the cash portion.

Fair enough. From the wording of that letter it does seem plausible to think that a reinstatement of 50% of the 330 pound cruise credit might be forthcoming. But right or wrong I expect Princess will be intractable on their position that a "gifted" future cruise credit does not count as a payment made by the customer under the terms of the second compensation offer. I was wrong to fault you simply for asking; I'll revise my earlier comment to only that it may not be worth the hassle to fight Princess over it.

Edited by fishywood