Live From The Dawn!!!

ccrain

Hey Sal,

Home at 11am? Don't rub it in too hard!

We got home at 830pm. Actually not too bad. Our flight left SFO at 2pm connecting through Denver.

Debarkation was a breeze. No customs, no immigration. Even the mess on the front street wasn't too bad. Turn left on the sidewalk and go about 50 yards to the taxi stand. The taxi fare to the airport was $43. They do have the blue super shuttles, but I just didn't get around to making reservations.

And the NCL Spirit was in port same day.

Debarkation was a breeze. No customs, no immigration. Even the mess on the front street wasn't too bad. Turn left on the sidewalk and go about 50 yards to the taxi stand. The taxi fare to the airport was $43. They do have the blue super shuttles, but I just didn't get around to making reservations.

Thanks for this great information. Since you go through Customs in SD, how early is it possible to leave the ship in San Fran, just in case we make a super shuttle reservation? Or what is the latest that you can stay onboard?

Again, we enjoyed all the comments.

[quote name='Crossbend']
Thanks for this great information. Since you go through Customs in SD, how early is it possible to leave the ship in San Fran, just in case we make a super shuttle reservation? Or what is the latest that you can stay onboard?

Again, we enjoyed all the comments.[/QUOTE]

We were told that the last call for going ashore is typically 10:30am. There is a self help group, no luggage, that is allowed off first around 0800. This is followed by Red 4 and Red 5 soon after.

If you want the Red 4 and Red 5 group, check at the purser's desk and have them change you luggage color. With those two groups you should be off the ship by 0830.

Hi All here is a link to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning about the Dawn Princess. It is a generally good article but I think he got the Personal Choice part wrong.
[URL="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/23/TRGHPFAV791.DTL"]http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/23/TRGHPFAV791.DTL[/URL]
Kent

[quote name='Kentskie']Hi All here is a link to an article in the San Francisco Chronicle this morning about the Dawn Princess. It is a generally good article but I think he got the Personal Choice part wrong.[/quote] [FONT='Comic Sans MS']It sort of depends on how one defines Personal Choice, I guess. The author didn’t mention the fact there is an Anytime Dining room on board. He also claims that because Dawn is a smaller ship, it’s more apt to be subject to rough seas than the larger ships, but that in fact is not true when it comes to Princess ships. The larger Grand Class are actually more apt to be subject to motion because of the top-heavy superstructure and flat bottom.[/FONT]
[FONT='Comic Sans MS'][/FONT]
[FONT='Comic Sans MS'][/FONT][FONT='Comic Sans MS']The author has many times gotten the facts wrong and has had to correct himself in the past…[/FONT]

It sort of depends on how one defines Personal Choice, I guess. The author didn’t mention the fact there is an Anytime Dining room on board. He also claims that because Dawn is a smaller ship, it’s more apt to be subject to rough seas than the larger ships, but that in fact is not true when it comes to Princess ships. The larger Grand Class are actually more apt to be subject to motion because of the top-heavy superstructure and flat bottom.

The author has many times gotten the facts wrong and has had to correct himself in the past…

I agree and that's what I meant when I said that he got PC dining wrong. Good news about the stability of the Sun Class. You were on the Pacific 2 when we were and that did get quite rough. A friend was on a later cruise that wiped out most of the crockery in rough seas.

I emailed Spuds about his errors.

You were on the Pacific 2 when we were and that did get quite rough. A friend was on a later cruise that wiped out most of the crockery in rough seas.
I was on Pacific 2 when you were? That was a rough couple of days, but we were in some windy weather that whipped up the seas as I recall. I’ve sailed Sun Class ships north along the California coast and although the seas were calm, there was little rough motion. On the contrary, I also sailed Star Princess from Los Angeles to Vancouver and again, the seas were relatively calm, but there was noticeable movement onboard.

It sort of depends on how one defines Personal Choice, I guess. The author didn’t mention the fact there is an Anytime Dining room on board. He also claims that because Dawn is a smaller ship, it’s more apt to be subject to rough seas than the larger ships, but that in fact is not true when it comes to Princess ships. The larger Grand Class are actually more apt to be subject to motion because of the top-heavy superstructure and flat bottom.

The author has many times gotten the facts wrong and has had to correct himself in the past…

I have also heard that the Sun class is a bit more stable in rough seas. In the Caribbean I did notice a bit more pitch on the Star than on the Sun and more motion overall on a seemingly calm sea.

Or did it seem calm because I was so freakin far above the water?

Hi BDJam,

Yes you were on the same trip. We were posting on the boards following the cruise. It was actually an enjoyable cruise and I thought a beautiful ship. I appreciate your insight as to the Sun Class stability. Those are comforting words especially since we are at the back of the ship.

Thanks,

Kent

Hi BDJam,

Those are comforting words especially since we are at the back of the ship.

Thanks,

Kent

Kent, we were in A712, which is pretty high and pretty far back. I too was worried, but I can report that the back of the ship is better than the front of the ship for pitch.

While doing my morning laps on the Promenade heading to San Diego, we did hit a patch of 4-8 foot swells. There was a noticeable uphill and downhill rise and fall in the bow and as I went around the stern, the rise and fall were almost negligible. When I got back to the cabin, I felt almost nothing, so I looked out and the swells were still there.

How it feels in a 12-16 foot sea, I'm not sure except that when we did our Mexican Riviera on the Sea Princess in Jan 2002, the seas were much rougher and the Horizon Court, as I recall, bucked a lot more than our Cabin in C617.

Or did it seem calm because I was so freakin far above the water?
:D :D :D
Yes you were on the same trip. We were posting on the boards following the cruise. It was actually an enjoyable cruise and I thought a beautiful ship.
I too enjoyed PP2. It’s unfortunate that Princess doesn’t sail a few more like her around here. Definitely my kind of cruise experience.

First batch of patters sent. There are 7 .pdf files ranging in size from 300kB to 3MB. I sent 7 individual emails each attaching a patter part.

If anyone who requested one doesn't get a part, just let me know.

I am sorry to bother you, but we are sailing her Dec 20th and I would LOVE to see the patters.

Myladabrat@yahoo.com

Thanks

Answers to some of your questions:

Could I ask for a review when you return? We will be on the 31st and I would like some answers to the questions below if you don't mind.

1. Who is Cruise Director? Good/Bad?

Billy London, but he will change soon. Nice guy. Lots of fun.

2. What shows are in the lounges now? Which to not miss? To avoid?

Elliot Max - Good, Dan Horn - Very Good, Jay Moore - Great, International Crew show - Very Good, Cooking Show - Don't Miss, Piano Man - OK

3. Which movies being shown in Theater? In cabin?

Cabin movies - incredibles, Herbie Fully Loaded, War of the Worlds, Wedding Date, Bewitched

Theater/Vista Lounge - Monster in Law, Wedding Date, Bewitched

4 Mexican night deck party?

Lots of fun, dancing, grab a man. Mexican buffet, did not try

5. Trays in buffet?

No. Large platter.

6. Lemonade/punch in buffet?

None that we could see. Free OJ in morning. Free Iced tea.

7. Free internet access for Platinum members 24 hrs./day?

When it was running.

8. How long did customs in S. Diego take before the ship was cleared?

About 2 hours for us. By 745 if you lined up at 700 in front of the Vista Lounge.

9. Complimentary shuttle bus in S. Diego? I have never docked in this port and we are not booking tours, so any information is greatly appreciated.

Cheap trollies and busses just out front of ship to zoo and water park. Lots of stuff within walking distance.

10. What was the earliest time were people allowed to embark in S.F.?

We heard 11:30.

11. How was the disembarkation process?

Smooth. No problems finding luggage or cab.

12. How was the food in the buffet at dinner time? Were some of the dining room menu entrees offered? How was the food in general? Especially the desserts.

Didn't try the food in the buffet at dinner time, but we walked through just to see. They do try and have some entrees from the dining rooms, but not as extensive a menu. Desserts were ho-hum. Nothing really jumped out at us. Tartetts, cakes, pies, mostly European style.

Hi Chuck and Judy,

For the life of me I can't find your email addy. The pic I took of you two at the deck party turned out great and I'd like to send it to you. Had a wonderful cruise on the Dawn. My first cruise with Princess and I'd do it again in a minute !!! Now trying to talk hubby into going in April.

Just a quick note. If any of you out there get a little seasick go to the health food store and get some Ginger Caps. I took one in the morning and one at night. IT WORKS !!!!!!!

sue_buell@yahoo.com

:) Hi Yancycruiser,

If you mean for the anytime dinning the number is 3463. Also we didn't know that they served lunch the day of boarding in the Florentine Dinning Room (deck 5) I would have gone there instead of the busy Horizon Court. The Balcony Grill was also open and I heard the hamburgers and fries were great

thank you all for the memories was on the Dawn last March with Cammie ( hi there) booked again for Next March...want to go NOW!!!!:p

Any one else booked for March 10 check out our roll call..we are a fun group looking for more fun folks.:D

Archived