Cozumel with a 5 year old???

chelle1019

Hello All :)

So I was hoping to get some advice or tips :) It is just myself, hubby and our 5 year old son cruising on the Disney Fantasy and we will be in Cozumel for a day in May.

I am having the hardest time planning our excursions. With my son being 5 I am finding we are limited to the excursions we can participate in. Originally I planned for us to do the Manatee Encounter @ Chankanaab (Cozumel) but I think he does not meet the height requirement? Although I spoke to a rep at Chankanaab and they said they would give us the ok since he just misses the height requirement. I think my son would enjoy it but I am not positive and I don't want to spend the money and have him not want to do it at all.

Has anyone done this with a 5/6 year old? I also read reviews on Playa Mia? So I am just not sure what would be the best place with a 5 year old but that we would also enjoy?

Thank you :)

Playa Mia offers a kiddie water/splash park plus a nice beach and a variety of drink/food options. Sometimes you can book it through the cruise line, but you might find it cheaper to book on your own - taxi each way will run about $16+tip

Chank will be more expensive, but you are getting more and they offer a small beach plus a small pool and pay-as-you-go food/drinks.

Good luck!

I am looking at an excursion through shore excursioneer that is a Chankanaab day pass with round trip transportation and a buffet lunch for $40pp.

I'm actually here looking for reviews. It looks like a good place. Going with my just shy of 4 year old and my parents. They have a sea lion show.

Our daughter did the swim when she was 3 (did the dolphin and manatees) and loved it. You actually stand on a platform and they come up to you and you feed them and interact with them (if it's the same thing you are talking about).

Yes, Playa Mia is a good place for kids as well with the water park and they have 2 pools.

I have reviews of both of these places in my signature line and there are TONS of photos if you are interested. :)

Our daughter did the swim when she was 3 (did the dolphin and manatees) and loved it. You actually stand on a platform and they come up to you and you feed them and interact with them (if it's the same thing you are talking about).

Yes, Playa Mia is a good place for kids as well with the water park and they have 2 pools.

I have reviews of both of these places in my signature line and there are TONS of photos if you are interested. :)

I read your reviews...I think you have me sold on the dolphin swim. I thought "shes a good photographer" when I was looking at your photos. Then I read you do it on the side...makes sense!

I read your reviews...I think you have me sold on the dolphin swim. I thought "shes a good photographer" when I was looking at your photos. Then I read you do it on the side...makes sense!

Oh no no no. I don't "do" photography on the side. I "do" my daughters pictures for fun. I have a dslr at home and I bought backgrounds (still need lighting because I'm just horrible with getting the right light and shadows) and do her pictures only. I don't do pictures for anyone else...well, I have tried taking newborn pictures for my grand-babies and a few of my older daughter (who is now 27) in the past. But I'm not a professional or anything. It's just a love of mine (photography) and always has been. I was actually going to go to school to become a photographer before I switched it up and decided to become a nurse. :D

If you do the dolphin swim, I hope you have a wonderful time. Our family has done it twice and loved it. We plan on doing it again in the future once my youngest, who is now 7, gets a little older when she can actually "swim" with them and not have to stand on the sidelines to do the encounter. :)

Well, you have a good eye!

I'm not sure if he'll be tall enough by then to meet their requirements. I may save it for next year. We only sail out of New Orleans since we're so close which makes our itinerary choices slim. But after researching all the things to do in roatan and Belize I know it is one I can do over and over.

I have decided we are going to Chankanaab and do pay as you go instead of booking a package. We will come out ahead.

Well, you have a good eye!

I'm not sure if he'll be tall enough by then to meet their requirements. I may save it for next year. We only sail out of New Orleans since we're so close which makes our itinerary choices slim. But after researching all the things to do in roatan and Belize I know it is one I can do over and over.

I have decided we are going to Chankanaab and do pay as you go instead of booking a package. We will come out ahead.

Oh yea, there's plenty of different places to go on this route over and over (Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and even Costa Maya) and you can tell by my signature...we do them a lot and always try to find something new to do.

I didn't realize that Chankanaab has packages? Or are you referring to booking with the cruise line package?

Oh yea, there's plenty of different places to go on this route over and over (Belize, Roatan, Cozumel and even Costa Maya) and you can tell by my signature...we do them a lot and always try to find something new to do.

I didn't realize that Chankanaab has packages? Or are you referring to booking with the cruise line package?

I was looking at Shore Excursioneer. They are a 3rd party site and have a few packages. For $40 you get entrance, guided snorkel, and buffet lunch. But, not everyone in the group will snorkel. So once I factor that out of the cost it's better to just pay the $21 entrance fee. ($35 for my son...who won't snorkel. So his price drops to $14) Even with buying lunch it will be cheaper to just pay a la carte.

It's a good price if you're going to snorkel. And the tequila tasting is included too.

I need to do this itinerary about 4 times before I have to start looking for new excusions! You are right; there's so much to do!

I was looking at Shore Excursioneer. They are a 3rd party site and have a few packages. For $40 you get entrance, guided snorkel, and buffet lunch. But, not everyone in the group will snorkel. So once I factor that out of the cost it's better to just pay the $21 entrance fee. ($35 for my son...who won't snorkel. So his price drops to $14) Even with buying lunch it will be cheaper to just pay a la carte.

It's a good price if you're going to snorkel. And the tequila tasting is included too.

I need to do this itinerary about 4 times before I have to start looking for new excusions! You are right; there's so much to do!

DON'T FORGET TO GET THE COUPON!! You can go to their site and get a coupon for $2 per adult and $1 per child. Hey, every little bit helps! :)

I hate to be the buzzkill but I would not do the dolphin swim. I am hoping you will do some research before going, the practice itself isn't humane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you buzzkill...I mean Capricorn! I just read a bunch of articles on the subject. I will be marking that off my list.

I am looking at an excursion through shore excursioneer that is a Chankanaab day pass with round trip transportation and a buffet lunch for $40pp.

I'm actually here looking for reviews. It looks like a good place. Going with my just shy of 4 year old and my parents. They have a sea lion show.

When we used the Shore Excursioneer transportation was not included.