Equinox March 14 11-Night Review with Lots of Pictures!

Cindy

• 3 weeks later...

A word of caution...I also purchased a raw emerald from the same store 2 years ago...recently the emerald fell out. Luckily I was at home and found it immediately. It's repaired now and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I love this necklace. Probably because of its uniqueness.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you are still checking in here, but I was so excited to read your Equinox review! We are sailing on the same itinerary in November! Thanks so much for all of your information.

I'm don't know if you remember, but my husband and I sailed with you many years ago on the Mariner. To date, it is our favorite cruise.....mainly due to the fabulous Roll Call that we had! (We are Debbie and Dave from northern Illinois. I just recently RETIRED from my 4th grade position, and I'm anxious to enjoy this new chapter of my life! We are so excited to be able to cruise in NOVEMBER this year!)

I'm a bit concerned about the heat on this upcoming trip, tho. I know you talked about it in your review. Was AC available on the excursions....especially the long Panama Canal ferry? We have been debating that one for some time now, and I know I need to book it soon. Just wondering if you can tell me if the long ferry and bus rides were miserable. Thanks!

I will hope that you see this, and watch for your response. Thanks, again, for the wonderful trip review. It was so helpful in our planning!

We tend to gravitate towards tours and activities that get us away from the most popular and crowded areas, especially when we've visited a port many times. In our opinion, one thing that was great about the food tour was it got us out away from the tourists’ Cozumel and into the locals’ Cozumel. Our first stop on the tour was at a tiny restaurant specializing in quesadillas.

Cozumel-March-16-7761W-L.jpg

Cozumel-March-16-7771W-L.jpg

We were given a choice of Coke, hibiscus water, or rice milk for a beverage. The Coke in Mexico tastes very different than what we get in the U.S., because it’s made with sugar cane instead of corn syrup. I knew that would be too sweet for me and I chose the hibiscus water. It had a very different taste, but it was refreshing and delicious.

Cozumel-March-16-7764W-L.jpg

Coke, Rice Milk, and Hibiscus Water

When I think of quesadillas, I think of a flour tortilla filled with meat or chicken and oozing with cheese. What we had at the first stop couldn’t have been more different than the Americanized Tex-Mex version of a quesadilla. The quesadillas we had were made with corn tortillas, not flour. One was filled with cactus and cheese, which I thought was OK. The other one was delicious and was filled with – wait for it – corn fungus!

Cozumel-March-16-7772W-L.jpg

After we ate, Jerry showed us pictures of the ingredients before they were prepared. I decided it was a good thing I had already eaten and loved the corn fungus, because I’m not sure I would have been in such a hurry to devour the quesadilla if I had seen the picture first!

Cozumel-March-16-7773W-L.jpg

Cactus

Cozumel-March-16-7775W-L.jpg

Corn Fungus

What did the corn fungus taste like? Mushrooms?? My mom has had some corn fungus on her corn stalks over the last few years and we just stare at it. It looks like an alien!!!

Mo

What did the corn fungus taste like? Mushrooms?? My mom has had some corn fungus on her corn stalks over the last few years and we just stare at it. It looks like an alien!!!

Mo

It was actually very good...a little sweet. I wasn't thrilled when I saw the picture, but I had already eaten every bite and enjoyed it!

I still need to finish this.:o I can't believe I haven't, but I'll try to get to it this weekend.

A word of caution...I also purchased a raw emerald from the same store 2 years ago...recently the emerald fell out. Luckily I was at home and found it immediately. It's repaired now and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

I love this necklace. Probably because of its uniqueness.

:eek:Thanks for the warning!:eek:

I'm not sure if you are still checking in here, but I was so excited to read your Equinox review! We are sailing on the same itinerary in November! Thanks so much for all of your information.

I'm don't know if you remember, but my husband and I sailed with you many years ago on the Mariner. To date, it is our favorite cruise.....mainly due to the fabulous Roll Call that we had! (We are Debbie and Dave from northern Illinois. I just recently RETIRED from my 4th grade position, and I'm anxious to enjoy this new chapter of my life! We are so excited to be able to cruise in NOVEMBER this year!)

I'm a bit concerned about the heat on this upcoming trip, tho. I know you talked about it in your review. Was AC available on the excursions....especially the long Panama Canal ferry? We have been debating that one for some time now, and I know I need to book it soon. Just wondering if you can tell me if the long ferry and bus rides were miserable. Thanks!

I will hope that you see this, and watch for your response. Thanks, again, for the wonderful trip review. It was so helpful in our planning!

I DO remember you!

Yes, it's wonderful being able to travel when the kids are in school. One reason I haven't finished this:o is I'm OBSESSED with planning for the Med/Adriatic next year.

The heat -- there's really no escaping it down there. All our ground transportation in the ports was air conditioned so we caught a break there. The Panama Canal ferry was air conditioned, but it didn't work great. We were saved in that it wasn't incredibly hot that day. If you think the heat will bother you, you might want to think twice about the ferry excursion. Ours went about as well as it could have and it was still an incredibly long day. Cartagena was unbelievably hot and humid, but we were in the van enough that it was sort of bearable.

If you have more questions, just ask. I'll check back, and maybe even find time to finish what I started two months ago!:D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Our main event for the evening was a Progressive Dinner. A couple of us had read about the dinner on Cruise Critic, but it was a passing mention with no details, and information was hard to come by. The event isn’t advertised, so you have to have heard about it to know to ask for it!:confused:

One of my neighbors was on the ship in January and she got the dinner information for me, but I never saw a mention of it in the Celebrity TODAY. On boarding day when I made the reservation I had a choice of two nights…this night or Saturday evening after we left Colon.

Your review has been wonderful! Thank you so much for all of the detail and your photos have really made me feel like I am there--well done!

I will be on the Equinox for a different itinerary in December, but am VERY interested in the progressive dinner. Is it possible to make reservations for this ahead of time, or do I need to wait until I board?

Thank you!

~Colleen

Your review has been wonderful! Thank you so much for all of the detail and your photos have really made me feel like I am there--well done!

I will be on the Equinox for a different itinerary in December, but am VERY interested in the progressive dinner. Is it possible to make reservations for this ahead of time, or do I need to wait until I board?

Thank you!

~Colleen

Hi Colleen!

The Progressive Dinner wasn't advertised at all. We read about it on Cruise Critic, and signed up the first day when we booked the rest of our specialty dining. When we asked, they said they don't want it to get too big, so they've kept it word of mouth and it seems to be working the way Celebrity wants it to.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Colleen!

The Progressive Dinner wasn't advertised at all. We read about it on Cruise Critic, and signed up the first day when we booked the rest of our specialty dining. When we asked, they said they don't want it to get too big, so they've kept it word of mouth and it seems to be working the way Celebrity wants it to.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Forums