Rome to Venice train question

sarshecky

I will be on a Celebrity cruise in June which ends in Rome. We are going to spend a few days afterwards in Venice and will be taking the high-speed train. I want to book our train tickets but am confused about the options. We will be taking a private transfer from the port to the train station.

The ship docks at 5:00am. We don't need to rush to get off and would like to have breakfast before we leave.

Train options are: Italo at 1:25 or Freccia which has trains on the hour, every hour.

Which train should we take and at which time? What time should I arrange to meet the limo for the transfer?

Thank you for your help.

Ships don't dock in "Rome." You are having a car take you to Rome from Civitavecchia? Or to the Civitavecchia train station?

Italo trains and the Frecci trains of Trenitalia seem to be fairly similar based on reviews I've read. (I have only used Trenitalia because I feel Italo trains utilize stations that have -- for me -- been less convenient.

I would look at both trains, however, and consider your options. Look at timing and departure station. I'd allow 90 minutes actual transfer time if you are going to Rome, more or less (depending which station). Plus allow time at the station to figure out where your train is (maybe 30 minutes), etc.

So I assume you are going to Termini station in Rome? I would want to allow around one and a half hours for that. I would question why you don't just take the train from the port, save you a lot of money and it goes right to Termini.

Agree with the other comments about taking the train from Civi.

To your basic question, have the transport pick you up at 7:30am. Book the 10am train to Venice. Breakfast will start early that morning- like by 5am. You won't have any problem being off by 7:30.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It appears from your other post on the Celebrity forum that you're not in a big hurry to get to Venice.

Getting off the ship at 9:00 am you'd be one of the last off.

Also, not sure how comfortable you feel with a margin of error on timing (e.g., leaving time for traffic). If you arrive at Termini station early, there are places to get a coffee, shop a little -- but you'll be hampered if you have a lot of luggage. There are very few places to sit in the actual train station area.

If you want to dawdle, you might get a ticket for the 10:50 train at the latest and look to arrange with your driver to pick you up at 8:30.