Group Perks

If anyone has ever arranged a large group... like more than 8 cabins... can you tell me what perks did you get?

This is a Haven arrangement, so that's major revenues and a high head count for NCL.

Any insight would be appreciated as to what we should be going for.

Thanks.

We are business owners and have taken our employees on many cruises. We have booked groups with Carnival, Holland America, Princess and Norwegian. The perks have gotten less over the years. Our last 6 trips have been with NCL. We have had balconies, suites, Haven suits and the GV on each of the trips. I honestly can't remember a lot of perks. I do know for every 8 cabins we book we get one free cruise. (Not a room, just for one cruiser.)I forget how they decide the amount to refund. I think it is based on the rate of the type of room you have the most of booked. You still have to pay taxes and port fees for that person.

I do get a letter from the groups department offering to assist me with needs we may have once on board such as meeting rooms, special meals, etc. We don't have meetings, it is strictly a vacation. We have had private BBQ's on the deck in the GV on the Dawn and it was great. We did pay for the meal. Our concierge made the arrangements.

There may be other perks but I obviously don't take advantage of them. Sorry I wasn't more help. I will say that of all the lines we have cruised NCL has become our favorite. Our PCC in the groups department is the best I have worked with in all of my years of cruising.

Edited by toyotaford

That is very helpful, thank you.

Given that we are all friends, I would not want to take an advantage personally... but rather share whatever we get. So, I now know the approximate value of having a group = one adult fare. When considering that these are all Haven 2Bdrs, that is a fair amount of $$... and I hope we can parlay that into free meal packages, or wifi, or whatever.

If not, we will take the fare reduction and share out the value... I just think having more perks would be more fun.

That is very helpful, thank you.

Given that we are all friends, I would not want to take an advantage personally... but rather share whatever we get. So, I now know the approximate value of having a group = one adult fare. When considering that these are all Haven 2Bdrs, that is a fair amount of $$... and I hope we can parlay that into free meal packages, or wifi, or whatever.

If not, we will take the fare reduction and share out the value... I just think having more perks would be more fun.

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/group-cruises

Option 1: For every 14 passengers and 7 cabins, 2 cruise free

-OR-

Option 2: For every 14 passengers and 7 cabins, 1 cruises free

PLUS your choice from the following amenities:

• Choose One:
  • Choice of an Ultimate Beverage Package*
  • Pre-Paid Service Charges***

• OR Choose Two:
  • 250-minute Internet package
  • $50 Per Port Shore Excursion Credit**
  • Four-Day Specialty Dining Package***
  • 20 Image Photo Package
  • $75 OBC
  • $75 Fundraiser Credit
  • $75 Bonus Commission

* For first and second guest in each stateroom . UBP option not available on Norwegian Sky or Pride of America

**Maximum of four ports

***For first and second guest in each stateroom

Things To Note:

• Group space is limited. Contact us today for pricing and availability.
  • Group cruise discounts and amenities are not available on some sailings.

We recently cruised on the Breakaway in a group of 82 people and I believe 22 or 23 cabins. When we first booked we were told that the discount (adult fare for every 8th cabin) could be divided and credited back to each family's credit card. That policy apparently changed, so now I'm waiting to receive the credit and since I'm not just keeping it for myself, I will have to pay each family. Kind of a pain to get that big credit on my card after our cruise which was paid for in December. We've been home 2 weeks and have not seen any credit yet. We also had 2 more cabins for our group, but they were denied because they booked at a different exchange rate (we are Canadian) and time than the others. Made no sense because over the course of a year, we had people booking at different times. Seems like maybe NCL didn't want us to get to 24 cabins and an even bigger discount.

We also received amenity points which I decided would be used as $50 of on board credit per family. There were other options, but none seemed as useful. Our group consultant from NCL also assisted in booking a dinner in one of the main dining rooms for 74 of us one night of the cruise.

Cruising with a big group was a lot of fun! Always people to hang out with and lots of people to supervise and check in on kids all over the ship.

There is also a 3rd Group option. For each 8 cabins booked get a free berth based off of the most cabin category booked. Port and tax fees must still be paid. So if you book 16 cabins that is 2 free berths and so on. This option also allows your group to choose whatever current promotion is going on rather than the limited selection listed with the 7 cabin group promo. Everyone can make their own individual cabin promo rather than all cabins having to take the same promo. So some can get the current SDP with UBP while another cabin may want SDP and WIFI etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who provided feedback and intel.

We have hit a slight snag, as one in our "group" booked in a different currency, so we have encountered the issue raised above. We are looking to get that sorted and then hopefully we can proceed.

We've got 8 cabins / 39 people in 2 Bdr Havens, a Deluxe Owner's Haven and a Penthouse Haven.

I am wondering when people say "one person sails free" does that mean the value of Passenger 1 or the value of Passengers 3, 4, 5 or 6? There is a big difference - especially on Haven pricing.

Once we get this group recognised I will report back once we know what benefits are being offered/extended to us.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

We have hit a slight snag, as one in our "group" booked in a different currency, so we have encountered the issue raised above. We are looking to get that sorted and then hopefully we can proceed.

We've got 8 cabins / 39 people in 2 Bdr Havens, a Deluxe Owner's Haven and a Penthouse Haven.

I am wondering when people say "one person sails free" does that mean the value of Passenger 1 or the value of Passengers 3, 4, 5 or 6? There is a big difference - especially on Haven pricing.

Once we get this group recognised I will report back once we know what benefits are being offered/extended to us.

You have to get the group recognized before you start the booking process, you can't do it after the fact.

It can also be a different group that is already in existence, and then you roll into that group. Your agent should be able to do all of that for you :) Tour Conductor credit can be spread out as allocated.

Each group is also awarded gap points in a dollar amount, depending on the cruise. That dollar amount can be applied to each cabin in the way of amenities. In our case it was $50. There was a page of options and prices that we could choose from, and each cabin did nto have to be different.

The real thing is to make sure who ever sets up your group knows that you want the TC credit and the GAP points. Sometimes a agency will make a group and then sell into it, and they keep the value of the TC credit and use the GAP points as additional commission.

Once you have a approved group, any other booking within the same agency/NCL can then be moved into the group to Take advantage of its perks.

I find it strange you are looking for meals or internet, since if booking now you get all 4 perks from the current promotion already. Use the GAP for OBC and I do believe you can apply the TC credit anyway you wish. Or as they said get it back after the cruise and dish it out as you wish. I applied mine prior to the cruise .

I sure hope you booked this through an agent, as you had my mouth watering just thinking about those commissions.

The real thing is to make sure who ever sets up your group knows that you want the TC credit and the GAP points. Sometimes a agency will make a group and then sell into it, and they keep the value of the TC credit and use the GAP points as additional commission.

I need to understand more about GAP points.

I find it strange you are looking for meals or internet, since if booking now you get all 4 perks from the current promotion already. Use the GAP for OBC and I do believe you can apply the TC credit anyway you wish. Or as they said get it back after the cruise and dish it out as you wish. I applied mine prior to the cruise .

I sure hope you booked this through an agent, as you had my mouth watering just thinking about those commissions.

We do presently have all four of the perks, but we would all give them up (or switch them) if the cruise came under a Kids Sail Free promotion. I did the math, and that is a much better deal... Or the Canadian at Par.

Also, what is valuable to me isn't necessarily valuable to our friends. DH & I are Platinum. We are already going to get 2 nights in either Il Cucina or Le Bistro, so extra meals aren't important to us. But for me, 250 minutes of wifi is just going to cost me money. I will end up buying more minutes or buying the unlimited package. I'd prefer to have the unlimited from the start.

Definitely the best arrangement for all of us is additional OBC. Everybody gets their fair share and they can spend it how they want.

We used my trusty and loyal PCC, and believe me - he will work for his commission, because we are going to change our reservations every time it is desirable from now until the final payment day.

Poor PCC, he is paid a salary, not a commission, but what the heck!

OK, here is what I know on organizing a Group.

You contact the Group department and sign up for which option you want.

You get a Group Number assigned, and are told what your TC ration will be, typically this is 1-8 but can be lower depending on the cruise, and on some lines you can actually use the GAP points to buy down the ration.

You also get your GAP points, but you do not have to assign them until right at final payment. With NCL, they have a list of things and how many points it is to "purchase" some of the items available are a reception, with or without booze, and with light snacks or nicer variety, you c an choose OBC, you can choose strawberries in the rooms or perhaps a Photo certificate, and a Group seating to have a group portrait made.

Since you get what ever perks are in force at the time of booking, if this is recent you are already receiving the beverage package, a dining package and 250 minutes of internet time, plus a $50 per port shore excursion assistance. Bad thing is this is only for the first two in the suite, so not all of your guests will be covered. It does get convoluted if you do not do the same for each room, but it is not necessary.

I recently went on a Haven cruise and shared a two bedroom. We shared with another adult couple. the second bedroom is almost a joke, especially compared to the Master. Oh one more thing about the perks, they are assigned to the first two people on the booking, and I am not sure if that can be changed. I almost felt guilty about having the master bedroom and the dining package.

I do think you may have been better served with a good agent rather than a PCC. The agent has ways of rebating back a portion of the commission to you, which could be used to even things up. My guess is the average commission is split between the agency owner and the agent. Typically the agent will discount from their share, but few agencies will except the big box stores. Every agency, and agent receives the exact same pricing from NCL, any perk that you receive other than the promotion that the cruiseline is providing come right out of the agent's pocket. Most do not mind. And with a good agent they do all of the checking for you to see when something better comes along. A PCC does not always do that. Even with rebated commission from all of those Haven suites, , it probably is not going to be close to covering the standard cost of the Beverage package for the other 2 in the room. Once you are organized you will be assigned a Group event coordinator for the ship, who can also help with special requests. If your Group is too large, you will not be able to do a group dinner all together in any of the specialty restaurants...They will split you up for different times. I think 60 is the limit, though.

An agent who has a great working relationship with the line and also with the Business development Manager, can get strings pulled.

I wish I had my latest copy of the GAP point offerings. But I will tell you I took the easy way out by applying it across the board for $50 OBC per cabin. Obviously the sailing warranted 50 Gap Points.

Any other specific questions, just ask

Also recommend using a TA. Mine help me get everything organized, plus he threw in additional OBC when we booked through him...:D

When they say you get one person free, it's not actually free, because you still have to pay the government taxes and a NCF that is set for your sailing.

When they say you get one person free, it's not actually free, because you still have to pay the government taxes and a NCF that is set for your sailing.

Yes, but is it "free" at the rate applicable to Passengers 1 or 2, or at the rate applicable to Passengers 3 and greater? There is a huge difference.

Your PCC or TA can look on the Group Detail report and see the anticipated value of your TC credit, and at finalization will see the actual value. It is based on the first 2 rate..

It is the charge for the cabin that has the highest amount of cabins sold in a category. On my latest one it was a BE. Like they said previously, the total fare is made up of the cruise fare, plus government taxes and fees, bottled into what they call a NCF, (non commissionable fare) , the TC value is not full fare. But the good rule of thumb is that it will cost you the amount of your NCF, or government fees and taxes to get the room

Lets say you were going to use it for yourself, they would just apply the dollar amount , up to the total cost of your room. If there is left over TC credit value, it can be given to someone else.

Poor PCC, he is paid a salary, not a commission, but what the heck!

Well, he appears really happy and keeps thanking me for each additional booking, so it seems like he is getting something from it.

OK, here is what I know on organizing a Group.

You contact the Group department and sign up for which option you want.

You get a Group Number assigned, and are told what your TC ration will be, typically this is 1-8 but can be lower depending on the cruise, and on some lines you can actually use the GAP points to buy down the ration.

My PCC is dealing with the Group Department, so I hope he knows his stuff with all this... because I don't really know what the options are, what a TC ration is and I have no idea what GAP points are. I guess in the next days, I'm going to find out.

Our group has just arrived at 8 cabins and will be submitted to the Group Department tomorrow, I presume. So, the details of what we are entitled to are yet to be revealed. I'm excited to see what it will be.

Since you get what ever perks are in force at the time of booking, if this is recent you are already receiving the beverage package, a dining package and 250 minutes of internet time, plus a $50 per port shore excursion assistance. Bad thing is this is only for the first two in the suite, so not all of your guests will be covered. It does get convoluted if you do not do the same for each room, but it is not necessary.

Yes, we have all those things. And yes, the 3-6 don't get dinners, etc. It *would* be nice to have that - but I presume we can buy it with the credits we get / $$ in OBC.

I recently went on a Haven cruise and shared a two bedroom. We shared with another adult couple. the second bedroom is almost a joke, especially compared to the Master.

We are all families, 2 adults and children X 8. The 2 Bdr suits all of us very well; but one family has a Deluxe Owner's Suite and we also have a Penthouse in the mix.

I do think you may have been better served with a good agent rather than a PCC. The agent has ways of rebating back a portion of the commission to you, which could be used to even things up.

We've worked with our PCC for several years, and I really like him. I am brand loyal, and loyal to people who give me good service - and he does that. So, honestly, it didn't occur to me to check elsewhere. Some people won't get that, others will. It is just how I like to deal with these kinds of things.

And with a good agent they do all of the checking for you to see when something better comes along. A PCC does not always do that.

My guy does. He's let me know about several very good discounts for past cruises, and we've made the switches. Presently, he is tracking the Canadian exchange rate for me, and will call if it is adjusted to reflect some gains in the Canadian dollar lately.

Even with rebated commission from all of those Haven suites, , it probably is not going to be close to covering the standard cost of the Beverage package for the other 2 in the room.

Again, all children. All of them under legal drinking age.

Once you are organized you will be assigned a Group event coordinator for the ship, who can also help with special requests. If your Group is too large, you will not be able to do a group dinner all together in any of the specialty restaurants...They will split you up for different times. I think 60 is the limit, though.

At this time, we are 39. We aren't going to want to eat together, so this isn't a problem.

An agent who has a great working relationship with the line and also with the Business development Manager, can get strings pulled.

I feel like a guy who has worked for NCL for a long time should also be able to do that well. I hope I'm right.

Any other specific questions, just ask

Thanks!

Your PCC or TA can look on the Group Detail report and see the anticipated value of your TC credit, and at finalization will see the actual value. It is based on the first 2 rate..

That's good news, as we are all in the Haven. Ka'ching!

Lets say you were going to use it for yourself, they would just apply the dollar amount , up to the total cost of your room. If there is left over TC credit value, it can be given to someone else.

I guess we will see what perks are on the list and what points we get and how we can spend them; but I am inclined to convert whatever it is to cash value and share it on a per cabin basis. I think then everyone will be able to use the $ to get whatever they want via OBC.

Nonetheless, I'm quite interested to see what happens once the group is recognized.

Nothing can go wrong that they can not fix.

Usually a Group is set up first, with a mandatory contract and agreement. Once it is set up, the bookings are made into the Group. But there are times when a booking may be made outside of the group, and subsequently moved into the group.

Part of the Group agreement is the number of cabins and which categories you are asking them to hold for you. Again, typically they do not hold suites for the groups, but can be booked and added to the group. You will be given a price for each category you are holding. This allotment is what you sell out of. Each category has it's price. They will hold your allotment of rooms for a while, but eventually will recall them. So your price is "protected" so to speak. Meaning if prices go up, you have the lower price to still sell, but if the prices come down, you then book outside the group and subsequently moved the booking into the group. I think NCL is quick to recall the inventory they are holding, so your only option is to book out side the group at the prevailing rate and move it into the group afterwards.

TC Ratio is simply the numbers of cabins you need to earn a single TC credit., Typically 8-1 8 rooms get you one "berth" - the taxes and govt fees. 8-1 is typical but I have seen them higher and lower.

GAP points are simply amenity points that enable you to "purchase" amenities that they have a selection of for your group. Some lines make it applicable for each cabin, and some let you pick and choose amenities for each cabin separately.

The main and probably the only real reason to use an agent vs using the cruiseline PCC is the offerings a TA can give you. The PCC can offer you nothing more or less than the standard promotion and choice of GAP Amenities based on Points allowed. They can not discount it to be less than any agency can offer. It pretty much is the standard price and standard perks. However an agency can rebate a portion of the commission in order to make the sale. The cruiseline can not do this, as it would uneven the playing field, and no one would ever go to a TA. And the cruiselines do prefer the product to be sold via the Travel agency route. They prefer it enough to offer commission to them to do so. The commission on 8 Haven suites is very substantial, and most agents and agencies would gladly rebate back a lot of it. That is what gives you the extra money and perks that you are looking for. The cruiseline will not match that rebate.

Now the downside. once you deal with a agentcy, and make the booking, NCL will not "talk" to you any more directly. Everything must be handled through the agent, and the agent to the cruiseline. You lose a lot of control, especially if your agent is not diligent.

Rebating commission is frowned upon by the cruiselines, as they want to protect their brand and not be considered a discount cruiseline.

Bottom line is anything a cruiseline can offer you, an agent can offer you also....and they can kick back some of their commission to entice you.

I have seen many people who say that they expect a large portion of the commission to be rebated back to them if they book a Haven suite, as they feel the work the agent does in the sale is not worth that much money. And somehow they feel that they are entitled to it. Some feel the commission should never be above $200 for any stateroom. Those are the people that I like to ask for some of their salary each year, because I do not think they are worth it.

Nothing wrong with dealing with a PCC. They should certainly be experts on their product. And the bottom line is as long as you are happy, and comfortable, and are satisfied, that is what really counts.

Usually a Group is set up first, with a mandatory contract and agreement. Once it is set up, the bookings are made into the Group. But there are times when a booking may be made outside of the group, and subsequently moved into the group.

More or less, we started our booking with 8 cabins sold. They trickled in over three days, but the PCC doing the booking knew they would ultimately be at least 8. And none were held because so long as we are all in the Haven, we don't care that much about which cabin... although many of us are in a row on one side. Even now, there are lots of cabins remaining in the Haven for either additional friends or other guests.

The main and probably the only real reason to use an agent vs using the cruiseline PCC is the offerings a TA can give you. The PCC can offer you nothing more or less than the standard promotion and choice of GAP Amenities based on Points allowed.

I understand this now, but even if I knew it before - I like my PCC and would have still made the bookings through him. That's just how I like to do business.

Now the downside. once you deal with a agentcy, and make the booking, NCL will not "talk" to you any more directly. Everything must be handled through the agent, and the agent to the cruiseline. You lose a lot of control, especially if your agent is not diligent.

And my guy will be on the ball for better promotions and expects to hear from me and deal with me and all the various calls, changes and conversations I will want to have. I like being involved in my holiday planning, and I dislike having a third party in the middle of my arrangements. Again, that's just me.

Nothing wrong with dealing with a PCC. They should certainly be experts on their product. And the bottom line is as long as you are happy, and comfortable, and are satisfied, that is what really counts.

I've not heard back about TC or GAP points, so I am not yet happy... I am, however, content... and that's a good start!!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get the group discount from NCL? Our cruise was 2 months ago and we've yet to receive a credit. The group members are waiting for their share and may think I've kept it for myself. :eek:

The TC credit amount can be applied to people on the cruise and it would then already be reflected in the price they paid. Or it can be returned to the agency, just like the commission,, and then the agent would need to redistribute it. NCL sends the commission to the agency prior to sailing, so it should have already been there if they went that route.

Make sure you agreed on what the agency was doing with it, in their contract with you. If they placed your group members into a group that they had already arranged and had on the books, they usually keep the TC credits and the GAP points.

If the Group was set up specifically for you, you should have told them you wanted the TC and the GAP points, and told them how to distribute it.

To be considered a Group, you must be on the Group contract. Not just have a specific amount of cabins.

Who was your Group Coordinator? Meaning who was the liason to the agency and to NCL. The person who speaks for the Group?

• 3 months later...

My fiance and I are getting married on Carnival Splendor in February and have about 40 people sailing with us. We're booked through a TA and friends and family are calling them directly to book in our group. I was surprised when they were told their rooms would be more expensive than what was listed on Carnival's site for the same room? Is this normal? I want to make sure my family is getting a good deal, and I thought we would be getting a better rate by booking as a group.

My fiance and I are getting married on Carnival Splendor in February and have about 40 people sailing with us. We're booked through a TA and friends and family are calling them directly to book in our group. I was surprised when they were told their rooms would be more expensive than what was listed on Carnival's site for the same room? Is this normal? I want to make sure my family is getting a good deal, and I thought we would be getting a better rate by booking as a group.

Did the TA say why it will be more expensive? This seems unusual.