Disembarkation using the Self-assist luggage option On Liberty

I am Ms. 'Worrier', no really, can't help worrying. I have an international flight out of IAH, departing at 12.57pm, My reporting time would be 11am. I have to make that flight. Fellow cruisers have noted how chaotic the entire process at Galveston is and advised me to carry my luggage off the ship and use a porter to expedite the process. In addition, I was also advised not to rely on the RCCL Airport shuttle which waits for the bus to fill up. So based on reviews, I reserved the 9am shuttle with Galveston Express Shuttle. They did tell me that the 9am shuttle service will drop me off at IAH, 11am. My question is would i be able to make that 9am shuttle that can only wait until 9.15am, the latest, if i use the self-assisted luggage option? How long would it take to get off the ship and out of the terminal? I understand the self assist process starts at 8am.

I have also noted the few negative reviews about this new shuttle service company, and hope they are not late with the pick up.

I cannot believe how worried i am about making that flight, and i don't want to worry about that before, during the cruise either!

If the ship is on time, you will most likely have no problem making a 9:00 shuttle doing self-assist debarkation. There is always the chance that something could delay the ship or cause problems and delays with customs/immigration, though, so you should probably be prepared for the possibility of missing your flight.

What does it mean that you "have to make that flight"? What are your consequences of missing it? I ask just because I don't think any of us can guarantee you making your flight. It's certainly doable, but a delay of an hour or two, which could happen for any number of reasons, would make you miss. However, if you could have a back-up plan of maybe staying overnight in a Houston area hotel and catching the same flight the next day, it might alleviate the worries (knowing you have a Plan B, if something goes wrong with Plan A).

On March 20 we got off with the suite group, which was right after the self assist group. We were off the ship and through customs at around 8:30, so as others have said, if the ship is on time and you get going early, you should have no trouble getting your shuttle at 9.

I heard terrible things about Galveston but I must say that it all seemed to go perfectly smoothly to me. Maybe it gets worse later in the morning? We did wait in a semi-long line for the parking shuttle, but we had the porter so that made it easier.

By the way, self-assist started about 7:15 on my return from the Liberty yesterday, and we were near the front of that line. We were in our car at about 7:40. That's no guarantee, but if it helps you not spend your vacation stressed out about the flight situation, know that it's possible you could end up waiting around for that 9:00 shuttle.

IF the ship is cleared to debark( and weather can make that impossible in Galveston) at the usual time and IF you are near the front of the line( meaning you are lined up an hour or more before scheduled debark time) and IF there is no one else on that shuttle and IF traffic cooperates, then you will probably be okay. definitely grab a porter.

a very windy storm the day we returned last time delayed self disembark over an hour. the conditions on the bridge going off the island were such that traveling faster than 45 was insanity( rather dangerous)

Thank you all for your input.

I just thought that international flights passengers had to make the flight but i guess, if you did miss the flight, you could fly out the next day with paying the difference?

Never missed my flight before so don't really know the options.

Thank you all for your input.

I just thought that international flights passengers had to make the flight but i guess, if you did miss the flight, you could fly out the next day with paying the difference?

Never missed my flight before so don't really know the options.

That depends on airline rules more than anything, but sure, it's possible to take the next day's flight. Most airlines I've run into will work with you on something like that, as well, if it's weather or some other delay that prevents you from getting to the airport on time. So it may even be little or no additional cost.

So, if flying the next day would not be a show-stopper for you, I think you should relax and enjoy your cruise, knowing there's a good chance you'll make your flight, but it's not the end of the world, if you miss it. You may want to check with your airline just to know what their exact policies are, but they will not leave you stranded.

I reserved the 9am shuttle with Galveston Express Shuttle. They did tell me that the 9am shuttle service will drop me off at IAH, 11am.

I would, at a minimum, consider using a taxi to get to IAH. It is about an hour and 20 minutes to drive from the port to the airport, with no traffic. The shuttle must be stopping at Hobby Airport along the way to drop off other passengers.

While a cab isn't the cheapest transportation, it is probably much less expensive than missing your flight. So, it's something you might consider and help keep the stress level down.

I would, at a minimum, consider using a taxi to get to IAH. It is about an hour and 20 minutes to drive from the port to the airport, with no traffic. The shuttle must be stopping at Hobby Airport along the way to drop off other passengers.

While a cab isn't the cheapest transportation, it is probably much less expensive than missing your flight. So, it's something you might consider and help keep the stress level down.

I agree, or at least a private car service with no other stops. We used the private car option of Super Shuttle from Galveston not that long ago, and it was excellent.

• 1 month later...

We were on the Liberty on the March 20 cruise and didn't get off much before noon following the regular room schedules. We waited an hour in the lounge, and about 2 in line. Only a few people got porters because they were so screwed up and the porters were only able to cycle through a couple of times each. Were giving it another try in July and need to book a flight out of HOU for my daughter and aren't sure what a safe time would be for her flight.

Glamourpup, just wondering how the suite disembodiment worked with your suite group. Did you ask or did the concierge arrange this service. Any insight you can offer will be greatly appreciated. We are in a GS in August. Who was your concierge on board.

Thanks again!

Oh mercy! I am so sorry about all the errors in my previous post. Here goes again! Glamourpup, I'm wondering how the suite disembark worked. Did the concierge arrange this or did you have to ask? Thank you!

We got off the Liberty yesterday. I knew ahead of time that I had booked a flight way too early for comfort out of IAH.

My flight left IAH at 10:55 AM. We did the self-carry. We docked around 6:40AM, which is when I brought my luggage down to the theatre to wait, so I was at the front of the line to get off.

They began letting people off the ship at 7:30 exactly, we were off the ship, through customs, and getting in our rental car at 7:45. We made it to IAH around 8:50, dropped off the rental car, and waited at the gate for about 30 minutes before the plane started boarding .

Moral of the story, it is a little stressful, but it absolutely can be done :p. I was concerned because boarding in Galveston was a total train wreck, but getting off was pretty easy.