Help needed on mobility scooter

We are on the Brilliance of the Seas Oct 5, 2016 Southern Europe. Am interested in finding out if anyone has used a mobility scooter in the following ports of call: Nice, Venice, Bologna, Kotor. I read where someone used one in Dubrovik, put scooter in truck of cab and took the cab into old town and was able to get around. I'm looking for similar information in any of these other ports. I know Venice with all their bridges would be very hard but is there a way to get from the port area into say St Marks Square? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks

Hi ,went to Venice with P&O 3years ago,usually I take scooter but on this excursion took my manual w/chair thought it would be easier to get onto the Vaporetto(water buses) boats.From were the ship docked there was a free shuttle to the Tronchetto cruise dock equivelent to bus station/ stop but for local Vaporetto boats local transport. We paid for I think so many hours ticket ,w/chair user I think was free and carer/companion was at discount ,if memory serves me right. We were able to get on and off the Vaporetto as many times as we wanted and were we wanted.We were helped onto the Vaporetto which at some times can be busy ,ie when people are going to work, but usually companion was able to do this unaided but help was there , boat might be at different heights at quayside due to tides. Routes number 1 and 2 cover popular sites.You can get around St Marks Square it is flat ,ramped areas are in alot of places, Bridge of Sigh has a section ramped ,quite a push but doable.

Usually the cruise company have their own trips but these can be expensive ,in P&Os case didnt go right along Grand Cannal (for best veiw) and I understand that there was a question of getting up/down steps after leaving boat.

You can google Venice disabled access and i'm sure it will come up with more imformation.

Hope this is of help.

Hi Captain,

Thanks for the info concerning Venice, I will check on their website for disabled travel over there. Looking forward to visiting the different ports, can't believe that RCCL can't give information about using a scooter in these ports with the number of people using scooters I just can't believe they don't have more available information. There are NO tours being offered there that are available to my husband. Again thanks for all you have provided and I will do more research on the different ports.

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the Brilliance of the Seas Oct 5, 2016 Southern Europe. Am interested in finding out if anyone has used a mobility scooter in the following ports of call: Nice, Venice, Bologna, Kotor. I read where someone used one in Dubrovik, put scooter in truck of cab and took the cab into old town and was able to get around. I'm looking for similar information in any of these other ports. I know Venice with all their bridges would be very hard but is there a way to get from the port area into say St Marks Square? Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks

Try googling something like "Venice handicap tours" or such.

We were there last May/June, and saw a tour group of wheelchair users - a rather large group.

(And because of a foot injury, we needed special access as well. Our private guide knew about this in advance, and behold: there were quite a few unmarked doors behind which were elevators for those who really need them.)

Also, ask the regular tour companies or private guides if they can arrange these services or if they know who could.

You might also want to post this on your Roll Call, in case there are others already working on this.

We spent a week pre cruise in Venice with a folding travel scooter. When I was researching for this trip I was surprised to learn how much Venice has done to help wheelchair/scooters. I suggest Googling 'accessible Venice'. Another excellent resource is http://www.sagetraveling.com/venice-accessible-travel. Among the wheelchair travel tips there is 'first on, last off' dealing with the vaparetto (water busses). He also has links to similar information for your other ports.

I have only been to Venice before I had mobility issues , but in general I find Italy fairly disabled friendly. However, I have read that it is possible to visit with a scooter/wheelchair.

France is fairly disabled friendly and Nice has lots of pedestrian streets. Kotor is OK within the old town and is small. I have never visited Bologna, so can't help there.

Have a look or put any questions on Tripadvisor. If Googling I think you will find more info by writing disabled access as we don't really use the word handicapped here as it is considered derogatory.

• 1 month later...
Sorry, I should have said that Italy is not very disabled friendly

I had a rented scooter (CareVacations) on our cruise two years ago on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Had no problems using it in Florence (Ufitzi(sp), Academia} museums; Oriviento Cathedral, Naples. There was even a small lift in the Ufitizi that lowered scooters/wheelchairs from one level to another - (about three-four steps).

Did you use your scooter all around the streets in Florence, Rome, or any other Italian city? I think if you did you may think otherwise. No, there are no problems at all using them within museums, galleries etc. It is when it becomes more general that problems start.

Scooter travel - Milan, Florence, Rome - February 2013.

Milan - The metro was under major construction so we gave up on the idea of getting to Duomo di Milano. Just waited at the train station for our train to Florence. I was advised by the cathedral that it is accessible and that there is a small elevator to the roof.

Florence – Traveled all over the city on our scooters. Did not use any other form of transportation. Yes, we experienced the usual cobblestones and had to pay attention to our routes, but did not experience any problems getting around.

Rome – Had contacted the various ho ho buses. Being off season, one agreed to transport both of us at the same time if possible. At that time, all ho ho buses only had a space for one scooter and we do not like to get separated. First day: Took the ho ho bus from Santa Maria Maggiore to the Vatican. On our return, we decided to do extensive sightseeing. The streets are not the best for scooters or walking. Unexpected problem was the fact that the city had relocated the ho ho bus pick-up points and we could not find the one we wanted. So we scooted back to our hotel (near the train station). Rome was not really wheelchair friendly. We did ride in the street a lot. We also took the ho ho bus to the Coliseum and onto another major site from where we continued our adventure on the scooters to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and back to our hotel.

Traveling on a scooter in Rome is doable with extreme caution. The main routes had curb cutouts or access to the sidewalks, but be ready to ride in the streets. Also, allow additional travel time for any detours or back-tracking.

For anyone going to cruise out of Rome, I'd suggest a flight arriving in Milan early morning. Take the train to the central station. Take the metro to the Cathedral and central area. See the sights, return to train station for afternoon train to Florence. Spend a couple days in Florence and then the train to Rome. Two or three days in Rome and again on the train to

Civitavecchia. Book all your train tickets with Trenitalia (Sale Blu) directly as soon as they open up for purchase (best prices).

Other than the discomfort of the bumpy streets, it is an easy trip. Just be cautious and pay attention to your surroundings.

Betty

Scooter travel - Milan, Florence, Rome - February 2013.

Milan - The metro was under major construction so we gave up on the idea of getting to Duomo di Milano. Just waited at the train station for our train to Florence. I was advised by the cathedral that it is accessible and that there is a small elevator to the roof.

Florence – Traveled all over the city on our scooters. Did not use any other form of transportation. Yes, we experienced the usual cobblestones and had to pay attention to our routes, but did not experience any problems getting around.

Rome – Had contacted the various ho ho buses. Being off season, one agreed to transport both of us at the same time if possible. At that time, all ho ho buses only had a space for one scooter and we do not like to get separated. First day: Took the ho ho bus from Santa Maria Maggiore to the Vatican. On our return, we decided to do extensive sightseeing. The streets are not the best for scooters or walking. Unexpected problem was the fact that the city had relocated the ho ho bus pick-up points and we could not find the one we wanted. So we scooted back to our hotel (near the train station). Rome was not really wheelchair friendly. We did ride in the street a lot. We also took the ho ho bus to the Coliseum and onto another major site from where we continued our adventure on the scooters to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and back to our hotel.

Traveling on a scooter in Rome is doable with extreme caution. The main routes had curb cutouts or access to the sidewalks, but be ready to ride in the streets. Also, allow additional travel time for any detours or back-tracking.

For anyone going to cruise out of Rome, I'd suggest a flight arriving in Milan early morning. Take the train to the central station. Take the metro to the Cathedral and central area. See the sights, return to train station for afternoon train to Florence. Spend a couple days in Florence and then the train to Rome. Two or three days in Rome and again on the train to

Civitavecchia. Book all your train tickets with Trenitalia (Sale Blu) directly as soon as they open up for purchase (best prices).

Other than the discomfort of the bumpy streets, it is an easy trip. Just be cautious and pay attention to your surroundings.

Betty

Betty,

I'm helping a friend plan a cruise and her husband is newly diagnosed. Lets assume he will be in a wheelchair when touring Florence and Rome. Can you offer any advise on getting from the ship to Florence and back if they do NOT take a private tour?

Again the same transport advice for Rome. Their top priority is to tour the Coliseum. Is it possible to take the train in a wheelchair? I remember a big staircase in Civitavecchia - is there an elevator hidden anywhere? If they transfer to the subway at Ostience, is it wheelchair friendly?

Thanks for your suggestions. Any budget friendly advice is appreciated!

Betty,

I'm helping a friend plan a cruise and her husband is newly diagnosed. Lets assume he will be in a wheelchair when touring Florence and Rome. Can you offer any advise on getting from the ship to Florence and back if they do NOT take a private tour?

Again the same transport advice for Rome. Their top priority is to tour the Coliseum. Is it possible to take the train in a wheelchair? I remember a big staircase in Civitavecchia - is there an elevator hidden anywhere? If they transfer to the subway at Ostience, is it wheelchair friendly?

Thanks for your suggestions. Any budget friendly advice is appreciated!

First of all, please check Trenitalia for schedules and accessibility. They have a website in English. I was still playing able bodied when I took a train out of Livorno to Pisa (November 2001). Later, October 2010, I checked out going to Florence from Livorno on the train. At that time, the train schedule was not the best for us, so we just wandered around Livorno. I note the dates because things are changing constantly.

I assume you are talking about going to Florence from Livorno. The train stations are fairly easy to get to in both towns, so the issue would be the schedule and accessibility. The shuttle bus from the ship into Livorno was wheelchair friendly.

Between the ship (Civitavecchia) and Rome, you can take the train. Again, I'd suggest you find their schedule on Trenitalia. In Rome, the ho ho buses pick up near the Roma Termini and have a stop at the Coliseum (Colosseo). Should be able to get precise details on the respective websites. Would not recommend attempting to get around on their own with limited time. If they took the ho ho bus, they should be able to see a tad bit more.

There should be a shuttle in Civitavecchia to the edge of town. From the drop off point, the train station is just a few short blocks southeast. We did not have any problems getting on and off the train there. Do not remember if they used lifts or ramps. There is an accessible route. Google maps show the train stations.

Not knowing exactly what time they would be able to leave the ship could hinder purchasing tickets in advance. Returning to the ship could be more critical. Some trains in Europe have limited wheelchair space. Thus advance tickets should protect you. To get precise info, do not be bashful about writing for info. They were very helpful when we planned our trip.

If they board or depart the ship in Rome (Civitavecchia), I'd highly recommend that they book a hotel for a couple nights in Rome and devote some quality time wandering around.

We did not take the metro in Rome because only limited stations were accessible.

Hope this helps,

Betty

First of all, please check Trenitalia for schedules and accessibility. They have a website in English. I was still playing able bodied when I took a train out of Livorno to Pisa (November 2001). Later, October 2010, I checked out going to Florence from Livorno on the train. At that time, the train schedule was not the best for us, so we just wandered around Livorno. I note the dates because things are changing constantly.

I assume you are talking about going to Florence from Livorno. The train stations are fairly easy to get to in both towns, so the issue would be the schedule and accessibility. The shuttle bus from the ship into Livorno was wheelchair friendly.

Between the ship (Civitavecchia) and Rome, you can take the train. Again, I'd suggest you find their schedule on Trenitalia. In Rome, the ho ho buses pick up near the Roma Termini and have a stop at the Coliseum (Colosseo). Should be able to get precise details on the respective websites. Would not recommend attempting to get around on their own with limited time. If they took the ho ho bus, they should be able to see a tad bit more.

There should be a shuttle in Civitavecchia to the edge of town. From the drop off point, the train station is just a few short blocks southeast. We did not have any problems getting on and off the train there. Do not remember if they used lifts or ramps. There is an accessible route. Google maps show the train stations.

Not knowing exactly what time they would be able to leave the ship could hinder purchasing tickets in advance. Returning to the ship could be more critical. Some trains in Europe have limited wheelchair space. Thus advance tickets should protect you. To get precise info, do not be bashful about writing for info. They were very helpful when we planned our trip.

If they board or depart the ship in Rome (Civitavecchia), I'd highly recommend that they book a hotel for a couple nights in Rome and devote some quality time wandering around.

We did not take the metro in Rome because only limited stations were accessible.

Hope this helps,

Betty

Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I'm going to repost this in a new thread, so it's not buried under the mobility scooter title. Hopefully some others will add to your info and this will be a good reference! Who is the "they" you reference in paragraph 5?

Thank you. I really appreciate the info. I'm going to repost this in a new thread, so it's not buried under the mobility scooter title. Hopefully some others will add to your info and this will be a good reference! Who is the "they" you reference in paragraph 5?

The first “they” is your friend and her husband. The second “they” is the Italian train (Trenitalia) respondents. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by raindropsalways