On Board Account/ Traveler's Checks

I've booked a two week Mediterranean cruise in August on the Spirit. At the time of booking we chose the shore excursion credit as a bonus offer. At the time we did not realize we would be unable to prepay for the excursions for the ports we're using the credits on (my fault, I totally should have researched.) the excursions for this cruse are all quite expensive and we're not wanting to have a bill at the end of the cruise for $2000 in shore excursions plus all of our other onboard activities. Is it possible to deposit travelers checks into your onboard account at check in as well as use a credit card for other expenses? Or are there any other recommendations from more seasoned cruisers?

Not sure why you can't prepay for them. I have heard (but not experienced) that to prebook shore excursions using your credits, you can't do it online, but you have to call in. Maybe if you call in to use the credits, you'll be able to prepay then?