geiranger fjord center-how to get there-worth it?

hi. cruise stop in G from 8:30-4:45 in July. I am planning on taking panoramic bus @ 10:45 and then a 1 hr boat tour. I was planning on 12:30 boat. But, is the fjord center worth doing? how would I fit it in? Also, is there a real hop on bus in G? or is it just the pano bus?

Never having been to the fjord centre, I can't tell you if it's worth it. But if you want to go and fitting it in is a problem, you could save time by skipping the boat trip. The boat trip can only take you to where the ship has already been and will be going back to, because Geiranger's at the end of the fjord.

They'll certainly be able to get closer to shore, but it's not like you're a long way out anyway. The fjord is about half a mile wide most of the way, a little less as you near Geiranger, so you can't be more than a quarter of a mile from shore on the liner.

I'm not saying the little boat isn't worth taking, because no doubt it is; but if it comes down to that or the fjord centre, the fjord centre may be more different from what you've already seen.

Geiranger is very small and easy to negotiate. The fjord centre is very interesting and we found it worth a visit. We walked from the tender stop - walk up the hill behind the shops, past the hotel and the fjord centre is on the right. We were there before the waterfall walk ( I think) but it was a pleasant walk and we enjoyed it all.

As has been mentioned above, the boat trip will mainly repeat the route you will already have taken on the ship so may not be worth the time/money.

Perfect thread for my question. Will be in Geiranger this summer. Hesitating between Mt. Dalsnibba and The Eagle Road and RIB Boat in the fjord. Both are HAL shorex. Preferences from anyone?

Edited by steilkurve

we decided against Mt D b/c many said it was weather dependent and if you get a cloudy/rainy day, it's not worth it. Plus, I read the turns can make one car sick. We decided on the bus up for the panoramic view (maybe Eagle?) and then either a fjord boat ride (not the rib boat-too bumpy for us) or walking up to the fjord center. Also, all of these can be booked one your own vs. thru the ship. G is so small, this is one place I would not hesistate to do that. The pano bus is about $25 booked on your own.

Edited by elaine5

Perfect thread for my question. Will be in Geiranger this summer. Hesitating between Mt. Dalsnibba and The Eagle Road and RIB Boat in the fjord. Both are HAL shorex. Preferences from anyone?

Last year we booked the panoramic bus which goes up Eagle Road and did the RIB boat. I would hesitate to pre book Mt Dalsnibba as it was thick fog in July when we were there. Saying that by the time we went on RIB it had cleared and we all loved it.

Look at booking it independently of HAL though. I booked Panoramic bus & RIB boat for 4 of us for less than half what HAL wanted just for the RIB