Day passes at Melia or RIU

NECruiser83

We usually go to Rui. We get there early enough to have breakfast and leave after lunch. The food is included with the day pass as well as the beverages. The food is really good and is a nice break from the ship food. We generally hang out by the pool and there are umbrellas for shade.

Great Pictures. By any chance did you purchase any drinks? If yes, do you recall prices. My husband is more interested in what kind of beer is offered.

Thanks so much.

Lori

Sorry, we did not buy any drinks, even soda or water. The Sandwiches at Starbucks were $10, which is a bit pricey, but that may be somewhat typical for Starbucks. I did have the unfortunate necessity to buy a swimsuit as mine had decided to stay on the ship that day :o, and was able to find a decent one in the hotel gift shop for $30... so minimal price gouging. The pool bar looked decently stocked, but I did not notice specifically in relation to beer.

• 2 weeks later...
I just booked through that website too, I'll report back on my daytrip, going next week. Got the lunch package from the grill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Would you report back on your experience with the day pass with lunch at O'Grille? We are looking into this in a few weeks. Is O'Grille near the beach and pools?

Thanks for the tip of bookatourcaribbean.com. Did you pay the entire amount or just the deposit. I couldn't see how to pay the entire thing, or do you pay when you get there?

Also, does the Melia charge for Kayak rentals? If so, how much? And is there a part of the beach that's better for snorkeling than others? Thanks! I'm leaving Saturday for the Escape, and I'll be in Nassau next Friday! Can't...even...wait!

Thanks for the tip of bookatourcaribbean.com. Did you pay the entire amount or just the deposit. I couldn't see how to pay the entire thing, or do you pay when you get there?

Also, does the Melia charge for Kayak rentals? If so, how much? And is there a part of the beach that's better for snorkeling than others? Thanks! I'm leaving Saturday for the Escape, and I'll be in Nassau next Friday! Can't...even...wait!

We paid a deposit (~20%) and the rest on arrival. You have to go to the check in to get your wristbands anyway, and they take credit cards like any hotel.

I did not notice about kayaks, sorry. I did not find anything interesting going straight out, but I didn't go out to the far side of the protected area. Others did, but didn't seem to stay long. I did notice later in the day that the water looked more interesting off to the left, but never got out there to have a real look.

I am looking into Melia. I didn't realize you only pay a deposit in advance. Do you know if you can cancel (if weather is iffy or some other reason)? Or if you don't show, do they just keep your deposit or charge you the full amount? I wouldn't want to be a no show, but sometimes things happen.

They do not appear to clearly state the cancellation policies on the book a tour Caribbean site, nor in the booking email. If it's an issue, you ought contact them to find their terms (and post them back here please). I'd suggest that you also contact Melia directly as they may have different terms.

According to the online chat with a rep on the website where you book the day pass, if you don't show then you just forfeit your deposit. I asked if they charge you the additional 80% and he replied, "no, of course not".

I also sent them an email and asked if the pass that includes lunch from O'Grille also includes snorkeling equipment (the description says snorkeling equipment is extra for this particular day pass option.) He replied that it does. I am taking that email with me.

Still hoping to get a report back from deb 1 eric on how their day was with the grill lunch option.

Zero-depth access to the west (blue square) pool:

P4082083.jpg

Hot tub near the west pool:

P4082082.jpg

More of the west pool.

The water fall/grotto is to the left.

The hot tub is to the right and forward 20 or 30 feet.

Under the bridge leads to the zero-depth entry which is on the right side of that area from this perspective.

P4082081.jpg

We were there the first week of April and the waterfall pools were fairly cold. Quite a bit colder than the main pool. I assume that was due to the waterfall churning the water, but perhaps the main pool is warmer due to the drunks at the swim up bar. :o Anyhow, in summer I'd bet the waterfall pools warm up quite a bit. It was not at all busy when we were there, so no issues finding space by the main pool. Other than hitting the beach and hot tubs a couple times, we set up shop near the main pool and stayed.

We were also here in April...about a month ago now. We had our kids with us and enjoyed a nice day in the water here. Kids went back and forth between the pools and the ocean. It was a nice day and reasonably priced for a beach/resort day. We purchased the pass ahead of time through Shore Trips and paid $35/17 (I think, I know it wasn't more than that) for the pass with lunch included.

I guess I should have shopped around more. We paid $30/$15 with no food included. With food that price is a steal if this is the right tour for you.

We paid $20 each way for cab (including tip). I suppose y'all managed to get cabs for $12 also! :D

Hi. I am on my cruise now and want to report back on my day at Melia. We were late for disembarkment so we didn't get off the ship until after 9:30am. When we first got off the ship we saw signs for cable beach $15 per person. I knew that was high so we continued until we got to the end of the pier and it was $5 per person. When the cab driver came to get us I mentioned it was $5 per person and he said that he would need to wait for more people or $20 for the three of us. We agreed for $20 and we gave him a $5 tip. He also mentioned different sites along the way. After he dropped us off we agreed for him to pick us up at 2:00pm for same price. We checked in and paid the balance and she wrote on the receipt lunch at Ogrille for 3. There were no shade to be found but I was determined. First I asked the towel guy if I could use the shaded area near him. He said that there was a dance class at 11pm. Well at 11pm the dance class was by the pool and not under the awning. Then I asked some people by the restaurant if I could put my lounge chairs under the awning. They said I could. I dragged three loungers to the restaurant not too close to tables. Then we noticed that the shaded area by the pool had some shade and it was moving. So we put our lounge chairs there and I turned my chair so that my face would get shade and put a towel by my legs. That worked ok for the time we were there. Lunch at Ogrille was pretty good for what we paid. We just sat ourselves at a table and they gave us water and asked if we wanted a soft drink. All included. The buffet was salad, fruit, sandwiches, meat, chicken and fish, sides, desert cakes. They took our receipt for payment. Melia is a beautiful place to spend the day. The beach was near the main pool and I went to swim in the ocean and pool. The sand was soft and not hot so I didn't need to wear my shoes on the sand. I would return again even knowing I would have to negotiate for shade. No problem finding a lounge chair.

Hi. I am on my cruise now and want to report back on my day at Melia. We were late for disembarkment so we didn't get off the ship until after 9:30am. When we first got off the ship we saw signs for cable beach $15 per person. I knew that was high so we continued until we got to the end of the pier and it was $5 per person. When the cab driver came to get us I mentioned it was $5 per person and he said that he would need to wait for more people or $20 for the three of us. We agreed for $20 and we gave him a $5 tip. He also mentioned different sites along the way. After he dropped us off we agreed for him to pick us up at 2:00pm for same price. We checked in and paid the balance and she wrote on the receipt lunch at Ogrille for 3. There were no shade to be found but I was determined. First I asked the towel guy if I could use the shaded area near him. He said that there was a dance class at 11pm. Well at 11pm the dance class was by the pool and not under the awning. Then I asked some people by the restaurant if I could put my lounge chairs under the awning. They said I could. I dragged three loungers to the restaurant not too close to tables. Then we noticed that the shaded area by the pool had some shade and it was moving. So we put our lounge chairs there and I turned my chair so that my face would get shade and put a towel by my legs. That worked ok for the time we were there. Lunch at Ogrille was pretty good for what we paid. We just sat ourselves at a table and they gave us water and asked if we wanted a soft drink. All included. The buffet was salad, fruit, sandwiches, meat, chicken and fish, sides, desert cakes. They took our receipt for payment. Melia is a beautiful place to spend the day. The beach was near the main pool and I went to swim in the ocean and pool. The sand was soft and not hot so I didn't need to wear my shoes on the sand. I would return again even knowing I would have to negotiate for shade. No problem finding a lounge chair.

Thank you so much for the detailed report. I hate to hear about the lack of shade...I definitely am a shade person! Did you try out the snorkeling? And just to be clear, the lunch at O'Grilles is not the buffet, correct?

Hi. I'm back from my cruise. We didn't snorkel. I don't think the snorkel equipment is included in the $39 price. Ogrille is only a buffet lunch but when you book it on that website use the cheaper Ogrille lunch option.