Stockholm hotels?

We will be spending two nights in Stockholm before our incredibly cheap flight home on Norwegian Air. Can anyone recommend a 'district' in Stockholm which is close to the major sites but as convenient to the airport as possible? It is just not clear to me where I should be looking. Any help appreciated!! Cathy

We will be spending two nights in Stockholm before our incredibly cheap flight home on Norwegian Air. Can anyone recommend a 'district' in Stockholm which is close to

the major sites but as convenient to the airport as possible? It is just not clear to me where I should be looking. Any help appreciated!! Cathy

See my thread; http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312690

Second post under; Hotels/accommodation

Thank you! What an amazing amount of info! I have some reading to do.

I usually book through Hotwire, and they list hotels by area, i.e. Norrmalm, Ostermalm, Sodermalm, etc. Which of those would be reasonable to choose? I see one in 'Stockholm East' that sounds great, 4.5 stars, says you get to the central area by water taxi. Would that be way too far out?

TIA!

Thank you! What an amazing amount of info! I have some reading to do.

I usually book through Hotwire, and they list hotels by area, i.e. Norrmalm, Ostermalm, Sodermalm, etc. Which of those would be reasonable to choose? I see one in 'Stockholm East'

that sounds great, 4.5 stars, says you get to the central area by water taxi. Would that be way too far out?

TIA!

Is it this hotel?`https://www.google.com/maps/place/Elite+Hotel+Marina+Tower+Stockholm/@59.314777,18.1091197,17.83z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x2dbc17a37771e39f

It is a little far out. It's technically not a water taxi but more a commuter ferry called Sjövägen. It will get you to Nybroplan but only have a few stops/day at Djurgården/Vasa.

However there are also buses available (at Hendriksdals station) a 500-600m walk from the hotel .

As for the different areas, see this map: https://www.google.com/maps/@59.3237527,18.0853704,13.92z

It kinda depends on where in those areas the hotels are located. Just find some hotels you like and google their locations.

Edited by Desdichado62

Do not know how much luggage you will have but remember that the main railroad station will likely be your final goal on way out of town to the airport. Stockholm has a very good metro system so I suggest finding a hotel with quick and easy subway access. I was there for 4 days last year and though I rarely stay in US style hotels we caught a Hilton flash sale. Not only was the price right, the subway was easily walkable and the breakfast was to die for. Check it out in Slussen. Couple of terrific restaurants in walking distance.

We are flying into Stockholm and staying near the train station prior to our cruise for the sheer convenience factor. Now I want to know about Norwegian Air! Was that from the U.S.? Or is this a connecting flight from a U.S. Airline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norwegian flies into Stockholm, Oslo Copenhagen and is slowly expanding its network from LA, Oakland, nyc, Fort Lauderdale. Do not know about elsewhere but their non stop from Oak last year on a new 787 was terrific Some very cheap no frill seats but fully reclinable premiere coach was very comfortable. They are making a big push into the US.

• 4 months later...

We have stayed at the First Hotel Reisen, in Old Town (Gamla Stan) and found the location perfect for exploring the city. I'd definitely recommend it for your one-night stay.

http://www.firsthotels.com/Our-hotels/Hotels-in-Sweden/Stockholm/First-Hotel-Reisen/

There are additional photos as well as reviews on Trip Advisor.

Stockholm's airport is some distance from the downtown area. We found it was most convenient to take a taxi in order to maximize our time in the city.

We need a hotel for one night before flying home so need to stash our bags for the day and then have fairly easy access to the airport for an early flight. Suggestions appreciated.

The hotels around the central station are convenient for travel to the airport. The Nordic C and The Nordic Light are both nice hotels, just outside the entrance/exit to Arlanda Express. Royal Viking is another good hotel in the area. I can also recommend Frey´s across and two minutes walk from the station. Also just across from the central station are Hotel Terminus and the new Scandic Continental. I haven´t tried the last two but both are four star hotels.

The area is also convenient for shopping and sightseeing.