Tipping on disney fantasy

Paigefour

(Honestly cannot tell if OP is a troll or is getting the tips for the whole week confused with the tips for one day. Latter does seem possible.)

The part where everyone else is wrong but they are right in their math says otherwise to me.....

That is unless they DO have 27 people in their party! lol!

ex techie

Dear Sir, I ask you pleasantly to please refrain from replying to any and all posts of mine. You are unpleasant and that is just not necessary. Thank you.

You DO realise this is not a live chat forum with Disney Cruise Line Customer Service right?

I have the right to reply to any of your posts, regardless of how you feel about me.

I won't insult you back by calling you names, but you really are struggling with basic math, so that is why I suggested you STOP, read the posts above or get a TA.

If that is unnecessary to you, I am truly sorry. But maybe someone with a a better grasp of your vacation could better explain everything to you than anyone else on here.

ex techie

Again, from the chart supplied to me by my booking agency, it lists the costs as I indicated, which results in $336 per day just for dining. We are a family of 6. So the chart lists the costs, on a 7 night cruise (tips go up as cruise length increases), to be $84 per night, per person - that cost including the stateroom host. So, with our 4 children, that cost would be over $300 in gratuties per night (not including the stateroom host). I don't know if this is incorrect or not, that is why I am asking here. But, according to small world vacations, that is the amount of the gratutity owed, each night.

Again, from the chart supplied to me by my booking agency, it lists the costs as I indicated, which results in $336 per day just for dining. We are a family of 6. So the chart lists the costs, on a 7 night cruise (tips go up as cruise length increases), to be $84 per night, per person - that cost including the stateroom host. So, with our 4 children, that cost would be over $300 in gratuties per night (not including the stateroom host). I don't know if this is incorrect or not, that is why I am asking here. But, according to small world vacations, that is the amount of the gratutity owed, each night.

If that's the information you've gotten, it's incorrect.

The tips are as has been put forth here.

Each person on your reservation will be charged $12.00 per day. That amount will be added to your onboard account.

The $12.00 per day is broken out for gratuities.

$4.00 per day for your stateroom host

$4.00 per day for your main dining room server

$3.00 per day for your assistant dining room server

$1.00 per day for your head dining room server.

For 6 of you that would be $72.00 per day charged to your onboard account. At the end of 7 days it would total $504.00 for the entire party for the entire trip.

Well either your TA has given you some dumb chart that is not what DCL charges or you could believe the people on here. Or maybe you are misunderstanding it.

Have you even spoken to them about this?

Some like moki'smommy that have 30+ DCL cruises under their belt. They know what the charges are.

You could also do a little research yourself :eek:, and visit the DCL website.

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/

So rather than telling all of us we are wrong, our math is wrong, here's what DCL say.

ex techie

1070070722_ScreenShot2016.jpg.d2c041e2d26f69a3315c76baf958692e.jpg

Edited by Ex techie

Here's the chart from your travel agency, which I'm probably not allowed to link:

https://www.smallworldvacations.com/blog/post.cfm/auto-prepaid-gratuities-on-all-disney-cruise-ships

Those prices are for the whole WEEK, not per day. It doesn't say anything about "each night".

I hope you'll understand that a group of random people on the Internet didn't randomly decide to lie to you about this. :)

And please do not stiff the crew members on tips, they work very very hard for very long hours.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Thank you for your help. That would certainly be a reasonable amount. I will contact the booking agency in the morning to verify. I was quite upset to have to add another $3500 plus to our our overall cost. I appreciate the help and patience. I am still dismayed over the immediate, unpleasant, comments to my question. I thought that was what this site was here for - to help new cruisers. I have to say, in the future, I will only look for questions/answers similiar to mine rather than post my own.

Thank you for your help. That would certainly be a reasonable amount. I will contact the booking agency in the morning to verify. I was quite upset to have to add another $3500 plus to our our overall cost. I appreciate the help and patience. I am still dismayed over the immediate, unpleasant, comments to my question. I thought that was what this site was here for - to help new cruisers. I have to say, in the future, I will only look for questions/answers similiar to mine rather than post my own.

For perspective, speaking as someone who has lurked on this and Disney forums for years:

People come here ALL THE TIME looking for reasons/excuses not to pay the gratuities. It happens on every cruise line forum. Regulars get jaded about it. Usually the poster gets angry when they realize no one is agreeing with them. Yours is literally the first time I've ever seen it come down to a math error.

You might want to also pick up the Passporter or Unofficial Guide to DCL. There may be other things that will go much more smoothly if you research them up front. Cruising is complicated and can be exhausting for first timers. Knowledge is power.

Edited by AdoraBelle

Each person on your reservation will be charged $12.00 per day. That amount will be added to your onboard account.

The $12.00 per day is broken out for gratuities.

$4.00 per day for your stateroom host

$4.00 per day for your main dining room server

$3.00 per day for your assistant dining room server

$1.00 per day for your head dining room server.

For 6 of you that would be $72.00 per day charged to your onboard account. At the end of 7 days it would total $504.00 for the entire party for the entire trip.

This info is correct, and is the total tip for 6 people on a 7 night cruise. TOTAL. That includes the tips in the main dining room and for the stateroom host.

You will have additional tip (15%) included with any bar purchases. This includes alcohol, specialty coffee, smoothies, bottled water, etc. You will be charged an 18% tip on any spa services. You can choose to tip if you do adult dining. Depending on your mode of transportation to the terminal, you may be expected to tip a limo driver and/or the porters who help with your luggage. If you are using DCL transfers, tips are not required.

If the above info is not what your TA is telling you, the TA is wrong. And there is no tipping "per night." The tradition is that there is a single tip to each appropriate individual on the last night of the cruise.

Yes, $504 seems like a lot of tips. But how much would you tip during a week if you ate out 3 meals a day and paid a housekeeper?

Here's the chart from your travel agency, which I'm probably not allowed to link:

https://www.smallworldvacations.com/blog/post.cfm/auto-prepaid-gratuities-on-all-disney-cruise-ships

Those prices are for the whole WEEK, not per day. It doesn't say anything about "each night".

I hope you'll understand that a group of random people on the Internet didn't randomly decide to lie to you about this. :)

And please do not stiff the crew members on tips, they work very very hard for very long hours.

That is a really crappy chart! Attached below.

It poorly explains the charges, and should say "Total for" before 3- Night Per Person.

Still doesn't excuse the OP of ignoring so many attempts to provide a better breakdown and accusing us of

the replies I have seen are incorrect in their assumption of costs.

Again, your math is incorrect. The daily tips for disney for dinner are as follows:

$28 for main server, $21 for asst server, $7 for maitre d. Perday. Again, that is $336 per day

They were adamant that previous cruisers were wrong and they, and their crappy TA chart were right.

A little self help with going to the DCL website would have cleared this up, or speaking to their TA.

That or asking why they were getting a different price. Not telling others they are wrong. :rolleyes::mad:

And I believe it is Gardeneroflove that is planing to stiff the servers if they do not get early dining?

ex techie

1962061121_ScreenShot20161.jpg.b8a9526e410002e442b69f4413d7d88a.jpg

Edited by Ex techie

ARGH!!! AGAIN, I was under the incorrect assumption that the tips would total more than $3500 for the week. Rounding it up to $600 is reasonable, but please. Feel free to chastise me again for innocently questioning what I found to be a rather effusive gratuity plan. I will hesitate to ever ask another question on this site

ARGH!!! AGAIN, I was under the incorrect assumption that the tips would total more than $3500 for the week. Rounding it up to $600 is reasonable, but please. Feel free to chastise me again for innocently questioning what I found to be a rather effusive gratuity plan. I will hesitate to ever ask another question on this site

In another thread you had replies from the same people who were trying to help you here and you thanked us for prompt help and photos included. No one was trying to chastise you here. We just didn't have a clue where your math was coming from on this thread, and we knew it was incorrect. If you are not comfortable here, there are other forums which deal with Disney cruises. But no one here has anything against you as far as I know.

Edited by moki'smommy

Feel free to ask a question and also question how others have answered your question if you feel they have answered it incorrectly.

But just as you jumped to assumptions that what you were given was correct, and we were all wrong, be able to accept that you may be assuming wrongly!

When you accuse others that know more than you do, that their math is wrong, or their assumption of costs are incorrect, it does make you look silly.

So please do not plead innocence. That was not what you posted or your attitude..

So again, feel free to ASK for advice, do a little homework yourself, and as Adorable said "understand that a group of random people on the Internet didn't randomly decide to lie to you about it".

Maybe you heard wrong, or got it wrong.

No harm no foul, right?

ex techie

I know the Internet can be infuriating, but you have to take on some of the responsibility here. You had three or four people telling you the same thing, and you didn't stop to consider the possibility they were right. You just told them they were wrong, occasionally in all caps, without double checking for more sources.

It seems like you misunderstood the chart. It happens, everyone makes mistakes. I tried to explain to you why withholding tips is a hot-button issue. You ignored that and chose to keep fighting with someone instead. You get out off the internet what you put into it. If you want to take your toys and leave the sandbox, no one's going to stop you.

I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to know if this is against the rules so forgive me if I'm not supposed to post external links. This Tip Calculator is awesome and thought I'd share for both the original poster on this thread and anyone else who has similar questions about how tips should be calculated for your Disney cruise. http://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/tip-calculator/

Tipping is a highly contested issue. Mostly because, IMO, people fail to recognize the exceptional service delivered compared to the extremely low wage (when comparing to any major country) and extraordinary work hours these fine crew members are expected to work. Most of these people are working over 12 hours a day with no days off for 6-9 months in a row. All of this is done with usually at least a smile on their face and the attitude of accommodating any request at any time. When the cruise lines made the automatic tips a critical part of the compensation of the wait staff and cabin stewards they essentially made their wages discretionary to the wishes of the passenger when tips really should be in addition to a fair wage.

So when people discuss removing the automatic tips, or even lowering, them before they have even set foot onboard it does draw some intense emotional responses. I don't think anyone would blame you for modifying tips if you had a poor experience once you're on board, but doing so before hand has a major impact on someone that works extremely hard for comparatively very little money.

We have always tipped extra in addition to the auto tips as we have always received exceptional service onboard.

Yes, I can see that tipping is a highly emotional topic. I had no idea it was comparable to politics or religion😀😀. As I had the tipping chart in front of me as I was inquiring about it, I naturally assumed that the tipping info had recently changed, and that the higher tipping I was looking at was the updated version. As I am a frequent visitor to disney world, i was not incredibly surprised that the new tipping would be so high. It was quite an eye-opener to be so chastised. I was, thankfully, able to find out how to ignore/block messages once I became uncomfortable with certain people. Again, I am thrilled that I don't have to tell my husband that the tipping would be an additional $3,500.

I haven't been a member of this forum long enough to know if this is against the rules so forgive me if I'm not supposed to post external links. This Tip Calculator is awesome and thought I'd share for both the original poster on this thread and anyone else who has similar questions about how tips should be calculated for your Disney cruise. http://disneycruiselineblog.com/cruise-planning/tip-calculator/

I'm not a mod...but my basic understanding of the rules is that you can link or post to anything that is officially Disney, but you cannot name, post, link, etc. to a specific travel agent or agency. You can discuss "types" of agencies like big box, auto club, internet only, internet + office, local office, nationwide, etc.

And the obvious rules about behavior--name calling, profanity, etc. are not allowed.

There is a link to the full rules at the top of the page (and I've never read the whole thing.)

If I could add s note for the OP that is directly related to tipping and use of the MDR - please know that the people who serve dinners in the MDR are the same folks who serve you at breakfast in the buffet and dining room and at lunch on deck and in the dining room and buffet. We even saw our Palo server bussing tables in the buffet the next morning. They also all work on Castaway Cay, helping the buffet, cleaning the drink and ice cream area, etc. So just because you do not eat in the MDR each night does not mean that they are not providing you service in some area during your vacation. Please tip accordingly.

If I could add s note for the OP that is directly related to tipping and use of the MDR - please know that the people who serve dinners in the MDR are the same folks who serve you at breakfast in the buffet and dining room and at lunch on deck and in the dining room and buffet. We even saw our Palo server bussing tables in the buffet the next morning. They also all work on Castaway Cay, helping the buffet, cleaning the drink and ice cream area, etc. So just because you do not eat in the MDR each night does not mean that they are not providing you service in some area during your vacation. Please tip accordingly.

Was just about to type that. We saw our wait staff all over the boat and felt we got exceptional service from them everywhere we went to eat when they were on duty. I didn't enjoy the food for the most part but the service was great. That follow me dining or whatever they call it may be a gimmick but it worked on us. Our dining staff knew our names and went out of their way to make us feel special even when they saw us in Cabanas or out on deck. I don't fault anyone for tightening the purse strings, our Disney cruise was relatively expensive, but when envelope time came around we did a little extra for them like we felt they did for us. Don't even get me started on the stateroom attendant. I felt that dude was waiting outside my door the whole cruise just to see if we needed anything. 80 bucks would have been disrespectful for the type of service he gave us.