Pre-purchasing a photo package

toneman01

I know it's silly but we always end up purchasing some of the cruise photos from our cruises. I thought about pre-purchasing the photo package. Does anyone know if this is a discounted price?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just did for a 13 night cruise it's $200 for ALL your photos, prints and on a disk.

We plan to take photos at every opportunity

Did you pre-purchase the photo package? Could you have purchased it on ship for the same price?

Thanks!

Tom:)

You almost always get a better deal purchasing on-line, in advance at mycruisephotos.com. However, you cannot say what the price will be - it varies by cruise [definitely not based on the number of nights - our longest cruise was cheapest] and, I believe, that the offer price increases after they have sold a certain number of packages - there have been instances when others on my Roll Call have been charged more when they purchase dlater than I did.

There are offers on board but, on our cruises, the worst case scenario has been that we would have paid the same on board.

What happens if you pre-purchase the photo package and they turn out lousy. I have found that most of the photos taken on a cruise are pretty awful. Can you get your money back. I doubt it.

DON

Clearly if you feel like that about the photographs, the package is not for you but, in our experience, they are not that bad.

Even the most we have ever paid for the packaged only cost the equivalent of, say, 15 photographs. Out of the, perhaps minimum, of 100 photographs you have taken during a cruise, can there really be 15 that are bad? Many people on Cruise Critic have reported having far more pictures at the end of a cruise.

We pre purchased the photo package for our last cruise. It was $200 for all prints and a CD with digital copies. It cost $249 for the same package on board, I believe.

We ended up with around 80 photos over the 7 night cruise. Some of them were blurry/crappy, but we got enough decent ones that we thought the package was well worth it considering how much they charge for a single photo.

If your cruise stops in Labadee and you do the zip line, the package even includes photos from the zip line excursion. So that was pretty awesome.

The Captain's Club coupons include a discount off the photo packages, so depending on your Captain's Club level, you may do better to purchase on board.

I believe our packages were $199 on board both times we purchased, but it really does depend on a lot of unpredictable factors--on our January cruise the price had been $50 more the week before (the NYE cruise)--and I didn't make a note of what they would have been if I'd prepurchased at the MyCruisePhotos site.

If you have the package, you should make a point of posing many times, with many different photographers. You will be sure to get at least a few that you are happy with. They are taking portraits at various locations around the ship every night during dinner, not just on formal night, so just jump in and have lots of family pictures done.

Some of the poses are kind of weird and cheesey (I feel like I can spot a cruise ship picture when I see one on Facebook!) but with sufficient persistence you will no doubt wind up with several nice pictures of yourself and your group.

If you plan to take pictures in at least a few settings it's nice to know you get everything automatically. We also use it for formal night pictures so we get the annual family photo taken by a pro, along with a bunch more casual pix. Even if you don't buy before boarding there is usually a $100 off offer on the first day.