Just back from KONINGSDAM Premier Voyage

TylerRose

Lisa - apologize up front if you have discussed in your review, do you have a list of "not miss things" for the K'dam? Or to ask another way, spend more time at those things?

dave

Like I mentioned there just was not enough time on a busy port itinerary but something that I really wished I would have had time for and this is something that I honestly would never have mentioned in past years was to watch a Movie out by the Lido pool ion the evening. The picture screen was great and the sound system was amazing. The seating felt more private with lots of areas to recline/relax. The next time I return I really want to do this. The other is to spend a full evening enjoying the BB King Blues Club entertainment.I would like to try the Culinary Arts Center dining but my husband who is a very picky eater would not attend so would need to do this if friends were cruising on board.

I also would like to do one of the Blend sessions/classes. We went by it several times and no one was ever there. Not sure if it was because it was the first week and limited hours. In advertising they talk about having a glass of wine blended just for you and can take to dinner. I would like to try this.

If you are a spa person the Thermal Suite is nice but... and actually a BIG But.... in many ways the Signature/Vista Suite Thermal Suites are just as good if not better or at least for me. A couple of differences ended up outweighing the new additions to this Thermal Suite. The actual Heated Ceramic Lounge chairs lay back just a bit further than those on the previous ships. So it makes it a bit harder to just lay there and look out at the ocean or read. Even with placing numerous towels behind my head just not a good angle to read. Plus at the angle it was killing my back after about 10 minutes. ...But then again that could be the plan so no one stays there for long periods of time :o The other thing of which many in the Spa agreed with that while the hydro therapy pool is slightly bigger and what appears to be far more seating in the hydro pool the angle of the metal bars and the bubbles/currents underneath make for very uncomfortable seating. No matter your size everyone was floating up and you had to hang on to attempt to sit. There is about 5 feet of bench seating on one side where there are no bubble and no metal seating and you would find everyone sitting there after they realized it was not comfortable in the rest of the hydro pool. Not sure what the fix will be for this. :confused: But I liked the additional larger steam rooms, reminded me of NCL Spas as well as the Saunas.

I would also not miss the new cast shows in the new theater. We really have not attended shows in a long time on HAL ships and what we saw this time was quite good.

Lastly to enjoy the ship one really should have a cruise that has at least three sea days :D Seriously two sea days just is not enough time to get yourself acquainted with the new Koningsdam.

I had asked in a previous post but nobody answered and since this is my very first HAL cruise I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. Is there any complimentary spa either steam or sauna on K that is not part of the thermal suite like there are on many other ships generally in the locker room of the spa?

Many thanks for any info. I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on the thermal suite or not. :confused:

I had asked in a previous post but nobody answered and since this is my very first HAL cruise I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. Is there any complimentary spa either steam or sauna on K that is not part of the thermal suite like there are on many other ships generally in the locker room of the spa?

Many thanks for any info. I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra money on the thermal suite or not. :confused:

No, I do not believe so. The Men's and Women's Saunas were right next to the entrance to the Thermal Suite. When I was given a tour they stated that the Saunas were part of the package. Now what is different from previous HAL ships, you would need to go to the desk of the Green House Spa and exchange your room key card for a card that opened the door to the Thermal Suite. This was not the case on the Koningsdam, the only thing they gave you for your Key Card was a wrist bad that looked similar to a fit bit that locked and opened the locker. Which they were having massive problems with because people were locking and unlocking the wrong lockers. There was also a way that was quite easy to unlock any of the doors they found out which I will not state here. The Koningsdam was the first ship for Steiner to have this system. They were finding many problems. I got so after the first time I did not bother even going to the desk or going to the locker room. I wore a cover up over my swimsuit and just walked into the Thermal Suite and Sauna. But then I did pay for the Thermal Suite for the week and no one questioned me walking into these areas. So one would not need anything to get into it or the Saunas. Will they change this? or have they changed this already I am not sure. They could install locks that they end up giving you a key card to open for both the Thermal Suite and Saunas.

A lot could change in the upcoming weeks if they have not made changes yet.

Many thanks for any info. I am trying to decide whether to spend the extra just wanted to addmoney on the thermal suite or not. :confused:

As Lisa wrote... The steam rooms were located within the thermal suite area. It was a beautiful spa FOR HAL... and I will definitely book it again.

Tour the first day and decide its value to you... on previous ship voyages HAL has sold day passes to guests (if the voyage passes did not sell out). Some treatments (i.e. massages) in the past have also offered a day pass... since DH & I purchased the full voyage pass- so I do not know K policy... and of course... things are evolving...

TR and Lisa, thanks for your continued feedback. Rather than post my questions on a Roll Call, I'll do it here, as we leave for our K cruise in a few weeks (Norway).

Is it feasible to exchange USD on the ship ... does HAL offer a reasonable exchange rate?

How do we find out when the gala/formal night is? Would you recommend going to a specialty restaurant on a non-gala night?

Thanks, and we look forward to a great cruise on the Koningsdam.

TR and Lisa, thanks for your continued feedback. Rather than post my questions on a Roll Call, I'll do it here, as we leave for our K cruise in a few weeks (Norway).

Is it feasible to exchange USD on the ship ... does HAL offer a reasonable exchange rate?

How do we find out when the gala/formal night is? Would you recommend going to a specialty restaurant on a non-gala night?

Thanks, and we look forward to a great cruise on the Koningsdam.

Not sure I can answer your questions maybe someone else will know but I did not do any exchange money at the front dewsk, brought Euros with us from home., The Gala Nights are usually the first Sea day and the depends on the length of the cruise but many are going to only having 2 even if it is a 11 day cruise. On the K'dam if you bring a tablet or smart phone you can pull up for free the HAL App as soon as you board and it did give a run down of what days were Smart Casual and which nights were Gala.

Yes I definitely recommend going to the Specialty Restaurants but I may even be inclined to do it on a Gala Night. I personally did not find the Gala Night Menus to be very good.... others may disagree.

On our 4/15 to 5/9 K-dam cruise saw many people use the Blend. There were groups of about 10 people. Didn't do it myself but we were told participants could blend 5 bottles of wine for the $129 and then use them for drinks at dinner or wherever they chose. People who took part enjoyed the experience.