A glitch on Cunard's website?

mef_57

I saw a last minute sale on Cunard for May based on Canadian dollars and it looked like a good deal. Under $1000 for internal and about $1200 Cdn for a balcony. What shocked me was when I put in 1 traveller and the pricing came is as $3300 and $4400 respectively! I checked for 2 travellers, and the price was as to be expected - $1895 and $2400 respectively. So I tried again with 1 person only to have the same original crazy pricing. What the heck! :( So, I went to a CAA travel site, and at least there, the pricing for 1 person was the same as for 2. I was rather ticked off to think Cunard - which Cruise Critic lists as a solo travel friendly cruise line would be so punishing to solo travellers. I can see it pays to check several sites in this case...assuming that they would honour the CAA booking and pricing. Has anyone else experienced this type of crazy pricing?

Call Cunard. I've sailed with them before (wonderful experience!) but their website isn't the best. I found they prefer to speak with travellers over the phone and it was much easier to do so ... just be clear with the call center staff that you are dealing with Canadian dollars. I had a mix up with the advertised price being in CAD and what was charged wasn't an accurate exchange. They fixed it right away as soon as I noticed and called. I just don't think they have a lot of Canadians that travel with them.

All the Cunard "Wonderful Price!" spams I get, in the fine print "...does not apply to singles". So it's not a glitch, it's policy, and I delete before reading. I no longer travel with Cunard except with a group and this attitude is a major reason.

I was at the Carnival shareholders meeting in New York recently, and expressed my displeasure about Cunard's marketing to the Carnival UK president. He gave me the usual blah-blah and didn't offer his card for followup. (Anyway, I was more interested in talking to the President of Costa, who I give most my business to now.)

Edited by Dancer Bob

All the Cunard "Wonderful Price!" spams I get, in the fine print "...does not apply to singles". So it's not a glitch, it's policy, and I delete before reading. I no longer travel with Cunard except with a group and this attitude is a major reason.

I was at the Carnival shareholders meeting in New York recently, and expressed my displeasure about Cunard's marketing to the Carnival UK president. He gave me the usual blah-blah and didn't offer his card for followup. (Anyway, I was more interested in talking to the President of Costa, who I give most my business to now.)

Thanks for the clarification Dancer Bob. I didn't read the fine print as I was dazzled by the pricing. I would have been more than happy to pay the 200% solo supplement, but that pricing was nuts....and I can assume then, that they wouldn't honour the CAA pricing either. I see a boycott in my future.