Fairbanks Questions

alwaysfrantic

I posted this in Departures, but it was suggested I might get more answers on this board:

There is not much on the boards about departing from Fairbanks. We are flying in a day early so will have 2 nights there. I have tentatively booked the first, extra, night with Holland America at The Westmark. It doesn't look like anyplace I would typically reserve. We always book our own place for a night before (departing Florida usually) but in this case the first night is part of the trip, so it seemed easiest for the additional front end night to be at the same hotel. If anyone has info on whether that is best or I should book on my own, please give me opinions.

Since we will have a fun day open before we begin our tour is there a half day excursion there worth booking on my own? I think probably not the returning at 4 am trip to see the northern lights. Others?

I posted this in Departures, but it was suggested I might get more answers on this board:

There is not much on the boards about departing from Fairbanks. We are flying in a day early so will have 2 nights there. I have tentatively booked the first, extra, night with Holland America at The Westmark. It doesn't look like anyplace I would typically reserve. We always book our own place for a night before (departing Florida usually) but in this case the first night is part of the trip, so it seemed easiest for the additional front end night to be at the same hotel. If anyone has info on whether that is best or I should book on my own, please give me opinions.

Since we will have a fun day open before we begin our tour is there a half day excursion there worth booking on my own? I think probably not the returning at 4 am trip to see the northern lights. Others?

Did you compare rates of the Westmark booking through HAL vs independent? Worth checking. Frankly you are far better off with a car, unless, there is an Arctic type tour you want to take. You need to figure out what you want to do to occupy your time.

When are you going there?

Are you hoping to see aurora? When will you be there?

DON

We are flying into Fairbanks a day early at the end of June, and our travel agent booked the LaQuinta for the extra night since we are renting a car for the day. When we return the car, we will catch the Holland America transfer to the Westmark to begin our Land/Sea tour.

We are also looking for a few things to do in Fairbanks on our extra day. So far the only plan we have is to visit the Botanical Garden. Any other suggestions? Since we will have a car, are there any must see locations within a short drive of Fairbanks? Our Land/Sea adventure includes the Riverboat and Dredge before we head to Denali for 3 days.

We are flying into Fairbanks a day early at the end of June, and our travel agent booked the LaQuinta for the extra night since we are renting a car for the day. When we return the car, we will catch the Holland America transfer to the Westmark to begin our Land/Sea tour.

We are also looking for a few things to do in Fairbanks on our extra day. So far the only plan we have is to visit the Botanical Garden. Any other suggestions? Since we will have a car, are there any must see locations within a short drive of Fairbanks? Our Land/Sea adventure includes the Riverboat and Dredge before we head to Denali for 3 days.

There will be little at the Botanical Garden. It's not what you may think it is.

While there, take a look at the large animal research farm, around a big block. Take their tour if available. The Fairbanks U Museum- of course is very interesting. Pioneer Park- is historic, with a good evening salmon bake. The Palace Theater, I think is an excellent show on the history of Fairbanks.

We aren't going until next summer; just booked and enjoying the just booked high and planning.

I did think about exactly what was mentioned....renting a car and staying at the Hilton or Marriott branded property the first night, but thinking that we are going to be moving around plenty and maybe cutting out one move by staying at the Westmark will be more relaxing. I did look to see if it could be booked independently, but it is so early, I think, no availability shows. A single room for $399 showed but the HAL booking was less than that.

At the Fairbanks airport will they take the ship suitcases away and we won't see them again onboard? And they will carry the other suitcases between stops and have them delivered to rooms?

This "tour" thing is completely new and foreign to me. We have cruised, but always fly in ahead, book our own hotel, get to the ship early, and pretty much stay to ourselves. With the tour will it be the same group on each bus or train, or are the groups mixed up over the 4 or 5 days?

In Fairbanks from the Westmark can we walk around and see a bit of the city? I am guessing the museum and most other things mentioned require transportation. Is my favorite Uber alive and well in the summer in Fairbanks ?

We aren't going until next summer; just booked and enjoying the just booked high and planning.

I did think about exactly what was mentioned....renting a car and staying at the Hilton or Marriott branded property the first night, but thinking that we are going to be moving around plenty and maybe cutting out one move by staying at the Westmark will be more relaxing. I did look to see if it could be booked independently, but it is so early, I think, no availability shows. A single room for $399 showed but the HAL booking was less than that.

At the Fairbanks airport will they take the ship suitcases away and we won't see them again onboard? And they will carry the other suitcases between stops and have them delivered to rooms?

This "tour" thing is completely new and foreign to me. We have cruised, but always fly in ahead, book our own hotel, get to the ship early, and pretty much stay to ourselves. With the tour will it be the same group on each bus or train, or are the groups mixed up over the 4 or 5 days?

In Fairbanks from the Westmark can we walk around and see a bit of the city? I am guessing the museum and most other things mentioned require transportation. Is my favorite Uber alive and well in the summer in Fairbanks ?

Being you aren't going until next year, you may want to continue to take a look at the "tour' option of Alaska. You do stay with the same group in your transits. Unfortunately, Fairbanks, is far superior with a rental car. It's going to add up in transportation cost- even if UBER is there. There also is a LOT outside the city to also consider. 5 days is barely enough, again, take a good look at what you have purchased. :)

You will want to claim your own bag at the airport. Then turn it over to the hotel shuttle. You'll have to get the info about the bag tags.

The 4-5 days is Fairbanks (2 nights with the extra night to fly in early) 3 in Denali, and one in Anchorage. The only time on our own will be the early arrival day in Fairbanks. I definitely would get a car for a long stay but it really is under 24 hours.

The 4-5 days is Fairbanks (2 nights with the extra night to fly in early) 3 in Denali, and one in Anchorage. The only time on our own will be the early arrival day in Fairbanks. I definitely would get a car for a long stay but it really is under 24 hours.

You have 5 days total, or 5 days in Fairbanks? Looks like you may be there 6 nights total? 2 Fairbanks, 3 Denali, 1 Anchorage??

Even with less than 24 hours in Fairbanks- it is worth having a car. I can pack a lot into a day staying in the area. Plus opens up a whole lot more meal and sightseeing options.

I just want to make sure that I fully understand what you are saying. You are going to be in Fairbanks in June and you are hoping to see Northern Lights. Do a WEB search on the sunrise-sunset times for Fairbanks in June. You will find that it never gets dark then. It it is difficult to see aurora when it is not dark out.

DON

There will be little at the Botanical Garden. It's not what you may think it is.

While there, take a look at the large animal research farm, around a big block. Take their tour if available. The Fairbanks U Museum- of course is very interesting. Pioneer Park- is historic, with a good evening salmon bake. The Palace Theater, I think is an excellent show on the history of Fairbanks.

Thanks! We will rethink the Botanical Garden and look at the University museum, Pioneer Park and also the Palace Theater. By booking early, we got a good rate for the rental car, which as you mentioned, opens up many more possibilities for our free day in Fairbanks.

You have 5 days total, or 5 days in Fairbanks? Looks like you may be there 6 nights total? 2 Fairbanks, 3 Denali, 1 Anchorage??

Even with less than 24 hours in Fairbanks- it is worth having a car. I can pack a lot into a day staying in the area. Plus opens up a whole lot more meal and sightseeing options.

Sorry, yes, just the 2 nights in Fairbanks. Fly in one day arriving most likely late (but i is too early for flight schedules to be out. ) Then the next day is open and the "Land and Sea" starts that day with a hotel stay, the official Day 1. The following morning the tours begin with the river boat, then off to Denali for 3 nights. We take a train to Anchorage from there for one night, then board the ship the next morning.

I know the sun will be present most of the time, which I am thrilled to experience. There do seem to be flights to the arctic circle from Fairbanks during the summer, but the bus returns to the hotel about 4 am. That is what I ruled out.

Edited by alwaysfrantic

Sorry, yes, just the 2 nights in Fairbanks. Fly in one day arriving most likely late (but i is too early for flight schedules to be out. ) Then the next day is open and the "Land and Sea" starts that day with a hotel stay, the official Day 1. The following morning the tours begin with the river boat, then off to Denali for 3 nights. We take a train to Anchorage from there for one night, then board the ship the next morning.

I know the sun will be present most of the time, which I am thrilled to experience. There do seem to be flights to the arctic circle from Fairbanks during the summer, but the bus returns to the hotel about 4 am. That is what I ruled out.

When is your trip? There are several daytime, Arctic Circle trips. What were you looking at? Sounds like a winter trip? None of the regular Arctic Day trips, even by road, return that late.

D/W and I made a similar trip last year and we got advise from a local so we. Walked 3 blocks to the public bus station and rode the bus to the Univ of Fairbanks Museum of the North. Its more of a tour than a bus drive as driver points out points of interest, then even stop at Walmart if you forgot anything. Spent several hours on campus at museum and campus gardens. Caught bus back to local tourist type place called Pioneer Park. Food and beverages and then back to the hotel.

Hotel food is pricey but a quick internet check found several great places within walking distance if your interested.

The Morris Thompson Cutural Center is an interesting place ... the antler arch is a fantastic photo op !

http://www.morristhompsoncenter.org/

The Pipeline is also very interesting stop if you have a car. And with a car you could drive out to Chena Hot Springs for a look around the property. Moose are often spotted on that drive or even at the property.

You'll find additional info in the Fairbanks Visitor Guide

http://www.explorefairbanks.com/guide

If you fly north from Fairbanks, you have even more sunlight, not less.

DON

We are going this June and staying a day before the tour begins in Fairbanks. We will be in the Westmark. Just don't want to spend time switching. We are doing an ATV excursion early in the morning then going to the Midnight Sun Festival in town. I was so excited to find out that the festival just happens to be the day before our tour starts!

Maybe you'll get lucky with a local event, too.

Similar question.

We are taking the HAL cruise ending in Fairbanks on the morning of September 22. Our flight out isn't until 5pm.

We are looking at day things to do in Fairbanks.

Should we consider renting a car for the day?

Any suggestions on things to do?

Thanks

Similar question.

We are taking the HAL cruise ending in Fairbanks on the morning of September 22. Our flight out isn't until 5pm.

We are looking at day things to do in Fairbanks.

Should we consider renting a car for the day?

Any suggestions on things to do?

Thanks

Fairbanks is a sprawling city so a car is a more efficient use of your time plus it will be your transfer to the airport. But do you NEED a car? that depends on what you want to see and do, and how much time you have. You don't state your arrival time, but if you can pick up a car by 9/9:30am, you would have 6 hours to explore. OTOH if your day starts at 11am, you might find it cheaper to take a cab to a couple of locations nearby then head to the airport at 3:30.

As for Things To Do ... did you read this thread? Several suggestions were provided, as well as a link to the city Visitor Guide. Really depends on your interests ...