Our Teen's experience with Ruby Princess Security

Silent Penguin

A+ to your daughter for her creep-radar and for opening up to you for help.

A+ to you for listening, problem solving with her, and for NOT taking things into your own hands (which could only have led to more trouble). Your handling of this situation has empowered her to stand up for herself in a positive manner, and you can feel a little safer about her moving out into the world of adults because of this incident.

A+ to the security guard for making your daughter feel safe and really listening to her story, and for giving her good advice.

A to Creep Guy's parents for hearing instead of being defensive. They lose out on the A+ because they raised Creepy Guy.

D to Creepy Guy. No, not an F. He didn't start out wrong. He was flirting with girls -- isn't that what we expect from teenaged boys? But he was dead wrong when he couldn't hear, "Thanks, but we're really not interested. Please turn your attentions elsewhere." He was dead wrong again when he offered alcohol to young girls. But when flat-out confronted, he did stop his behavior right away. Given that he was flirting with younger girls and felt it necessary to offer alcohol to strengthen his suit, I suspect he was something of a loser and didn't feel comfortable with girls his own age and/or didn't really know how to talk to girls. And if he's such a loser, he may not've picked up on the girls trying-to-be-polite-yet-want-you-to-leave signals.

In the spirit of sharing such stories, I had a similar experience on Amtrak. I was traveling with a group of teenaged girls, and a drunk guy (they do sell alcohol on Amtrak) was bothering "my girls" in the Cafe Car. One of the other girls came to me for help, but before I could walk the distance of several cars to see what was up, the Conductor already had it in hand. I arrived in time to see the Conductor tell the Cafe Car staff this guy was "cut off", and then he moved the guy up to the Conductors' car to sit for the rest of the train ride.

I hated that "my girls" had a negative experience with an older, drunk guy, but it made me feel good about Amtrak.

Edited by MrsPete

Good thing it wasn't my daughter. The guy would have been attempting to swim home from the 14th deck.

I wonder in which jurisdiction you would be facing charges?

Flag state of the ship?

The US thinks crimes against US citizens anywhere in the world

are US crimes, so in the US?

Territorial sea the ship may have been in at the time?

Please report back on your outcome.

Yeah, as a high school teacher, I can't believe the things I hear. About and from girls. About and from boys. About and from parents.

Scary isn't it? I was no saint in my late teens and 20s by no means . I worked and played with the more unsavory side of society (although it was among the best times of my life :)) So naive , and easily shocked I am not . But some of these kids today are really out there .

Edited by babyher

First good job speaking up. If he won't leave these girls alone, someone needed to tell him that they just weren't interested in him.

Given that he was flirting with younger girls and felt it necessary to offer alcohol to strengthen his suit, I suspect he was something of a loser and didn't feel comfortable with girls his own age and/or didn't really know how to talk to girls. And if he's such a loser, he may not've picked up on the girls trying-to-be-polite-yet-want-you-to-leave signals.

I agree with this, if he wasn't offering drinks then I would say he was just a dumb kid that didn't know how to take 'no thanks' and it isn't that big of a deal, but if he's making the girls uncomfortable then something eventually needs to be said to him so he'll stop. Whether that be security, a brother, or a parent, the guy might have taken the hint and stopped.

Also, as has been said, cruises emulate the world, and theres always creeper older(20-23) guys that like to hang out with their younger friends/siblings and hit on the 17-18 year olds still in high school and whatnot. So it's just stuff that will happen occasionally on a cruise ship as well.

It appears that the young man and his family are from a Spanish speaking country and culture. Most if not all Central and South American countries allow 18 y/o to use alcohol so I imagine he had access to it in spite of the ship rules. Also in those parts of the world males are conditioned to be aggressive towards the opposite sex. This is their culture and how they raise their children. Also in those cultures children are expected to obey their parents. It sounds like the boy did not realize how the US culture is different which at his young age could also be expected. I am glad that your daughter spoke up but it sounds like some of her new friends were more open to aggressive males. We all have to remember that the ship is a gathering of different cultures, languages etc and have to take that into consideration. I am just glad it all worked out.