Balcony Smokers on Allure

I pay a premium for a balcony on a cruise line that doesn't allow balcony smoking. If there's smoking, I tell the company. Why exactly do you think this is wrong?

Easy on the dramatic response. I don't think smokers are second class citizens or not worthy of a balcony, but if smoking is so important, don't pay the premium for a balcony that you are not allowed to smoke on. save the money and book closer to approved smoking areas. I defy you to go through this entire thread and find any post I've made where I put smokers on par with violent offenders. You will only find that I've tried to stop any and all strawman arguments.

So I ask you; if I pay a premium for a balcony on a cruise line that doesn't allow smoking, and my neighbor is smoking, why do you think I should not do anything about it? Don't i have a reasonable expectation for a smoke free balcony? Since I'm not an authority figure on the ship (not an employee of the company), why would I try to take matters into my own hands and have a confrontation?

I'm genuinely asking you to explain to me this sans strawman dramatics.

I'm not sure why you are bringing scarecrows in to this. This is not some off the wall hypothesis, smokers just want to do what they do why enjoying the same things you enjoy: a sunrise on their balcony, pier runners in Cozumel, a glass of wine as an island sails away.

OK smoking is dumb, even 99% of smokers agree, but do you think their vacation is the time to address it? More importantly do you think they should think their vacation is the time to address it?

I'm sorry, but if there is a straw man here, it the folks who trump up the dangers of second hand smoke in the open air and those who bring up the one fire of thousands that MAY have been due to smoking on a cruise ship.

PS Calling all smokers, sooner or later one of you has to crawl out from under you ashtray and be my wingman!

Edited by nealstuber

You continue to try to bring a logical and rational approach to a subject that should be cut and dry. However, it is like teaching a pig to sing: it wastes your time and irritates the pig.

People are going to continue to ignore rules and somehow they think that is okay. It is a shame that somehow this has become a societal norm.

Yes; continued defiance, strawman arguments, labeling, and negotiating is why it is best as someone who is not an authority figure on the ship to just allow those that are to handle it. I have a hard time believing that all smokers would quietly comply with a polite reminder from another guest to stop smoking on their balcony. Better to not have to play roulette and find out who is agreeable and who has a short temper or belligerent streak.

Then keep booking balconies

So lighten up everyone. Relax & enjoy your cruise, and enjoy one another as well. If you can't, then go ahead and allow yourself to get all wound up and ruin your cruise vacation. Even if it's for a moment, a day, or the whole enchillada. And when reporting violators of rules, be about doing it for all broken rules to Guest Services.

I also sure wish a few of the anti-smokers in this thread would list what cruises they have booked coming up. Because I would avoid these cruises like a plaugue. Not because I want to smoke on my balcony (which I don't) but to avoid the individual. Some are just too wound up and not the folks I wish to be around much less share time with on a cruise ship.

Finally, one has to be pretty hard up in life to sit on their own balcony, and while postioned across from another ship, then count the cabins of smokers, and then complain about it on this board. Tattle Tale? maybe. Loser? most definitly.

You seem pretty wound up yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile approp seem pretty wound up yourself. Lighten up.

Edited by 2CatsInFlorida

It is shameful the number of posts telling this person to mind her business and do better things with her vacation. Maybe the point of these posts and free speech is to be able to express our concerns and if it not a concern of yours, then just move on to the next post. For me, I paid a lot of money to be on my upcoming cruise on Allure with a balcony and it would ruin MY vacation if people in balconies near me were violating rules. Violating rules that impact others negatively from a health or safety perspective is unacceptable. So to answer the many negative postings, don't you worry about whether this woman enjoyed her cruise, give her the right to express her opinion without being jerks about it. I enjoy CC and don't need the ugliness of these postings to ruin that experience either. RESPECT!! Give that a try for once.

Yeah, I get it free speech is ok when it's something you agree with. but the rights of others to disagree...

Yeah, I get it free speech is ok when it's something you agree with. but the rights of others to disagree...

You are welcome to disagree.

No one is stopping you from disagreeing.

We are just pointing out why you are wrong.

I'm a smoker who always booked a balcony so I could smoke on it. I know that it is no longer allowed. I booked a cruise knowing this. I have researched where the smoking areas are. I will get up in the morning, find a cup of coffee and a smoking area. Not the same as being on my balcony but I knew this going in. Any smoker booking a cruise knows the rules - either follow them or be prepared for the consequences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Nope, just keep right on walking by. Plenty of public places I can be. It is of no impact to me.

But, okay, if no smokers are saying I have to compromise my time, guess I won't. :cool:

Maxwell, I will give you props for being hones in your answer. Based on your answer however, its not about the rules in general, you only care if the rule breaker impacts you. If they are not, you could care less :D

Edited by First and Ten

Maxwell, I will give you props for being hones in your answer. Based on your answer however, its not about the rules in general, you only care if the rule breaker impacts you. If they are not, you could care less :D

I said almost exactly that earlier in the thread.

Well, technically speaking, if it doesn't impact me I couldn't care less.

i'm a smoker who always booked a balcony so i could smoke on it. I know that it is no longer allowed. I booked a cruise knowing this. I have researched where the smoking areas are. I will get up in the morning, find a cup of coffee and a smoking area. Not the same as being on my balcony but i knew this going in. Any smoker booking a cruise knows the rules - either follow them or be prepared for the consequences.

Sent from my iphone using forums mobile app

ImageUploadedByForums1461637132.157341.jpg.f15e5d095bbf6aef366e0f66f691d2e3.jpg

Well, technically speaking, if it doesn't impact me I couldn't care less.

glad you admit it....at least you are honest, so while I don't necessarily respect the narcissism trait, at least you are honest about it

Edited by First and Ten

they weren't ignorant because they were informed and just didn't give a damn. they may be stupid but they weren't ignorant.

also, we're not on celebrity so what they do doesn't really matter on an rccl ship. someone else could say on a hal ship they bring you a lighter and an ashtray to your balcony but that wouldn't be relevant either.

If you noticed the post I quoted, the poster said that they don't put people off the ship. I just replied with an example. I am quite aware this smoking discussion is not about Celebrity. They ignored the rules and in my books that makes them ignorant lol

informal

discourteous or rude.

"this ignorant, pin-brained receptionist"

glad you admit it....at least you are honest, so while I don't necessarily respect the narcissism trait, at least you are honest about it

Try again.

Expecting to enjoy a smoke free balcony AND not roaming the ship being a busybody with what people are doing is about as far from narcissism as one can get.

Try again.

Expecting to enjoy a smoke free balcony AND not roaming the ship being a busybody with what people are doing is about as far from narcissism as one can get.

Being fair, you cloaked your argument about rules rules rules....rules should be followed regardless....then added, if it doesn't impact me, I could care less....so, do you care about the rules or only care about rules when it impacts you? :confused:

Edited by First and Ten

Being fair, you cloaked your argument about rules rules rules....rules should be followed regardless....then added, if it doesn't impact me, I could care less....so, do you care about the rules or only care about rules when it impacts you? :confused:

You really have to go back and read the entire thread because I've been very consistent in plain spoken English on my message and have not talked out of both sides of my mouth.

When I book a balcony on a ship that doesn't permit balcony smoking, I expect not to have to smell smoke from a neighbor. If I do, I'll let the staff handle it.

If someone on the other side of the ship sneaks a cigarette at 3AM and I am not bothered by it, I am not bothered by it. I guess if you put a gun to my head I'd admit from a safety perspective I wish they'd go to where there's at least an ashtray, but really, no impact on me? Then I don't care. I'm not going around looking for people breaking rules so I can go to GS and complain.

Believe me, I'd prefer to spend as little time as possible, most preferably no time at all, dealing with Guest Services on a cruise. Zero time at guest services = successful cruise with no service issues to have handled.

Not sure what you find narcissistic about that; but apparently I have little sway on your perception. So be it.

Edited by LMaxwell

Earlier in the thread.......lol. You probably have close to 50 postings on this thread. Do you have anything new to add? You just keep repeating yourself over and over again. I enjoy hearing various different opinions on the topic, but you keep spewing the same thing. Go have a cigarette and watch the nightly news. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

First, you should never start a conversation with 'Sorry' & then proceed. If you're truly sorry m then you wouldn't continue the conversation. I'm not saying that you shouldn't express yourself/comments but to do so under the guise of 'Sorry' starts the topic off w/ hypocrisy from the get go.

BTW, we're sailing on X for the first time in 2017 and looking forward to the new experience!

I say sorry when someone bumps into me lol I'm Canadian!! We say sorry all the time for everything:D:D

As far as the rest. If it was anything else I had an issue with my neighbours about, like maybe turning down the music after 10pm or something mundane like that, I would and have done what you have suggested. But 99% of balcony smokers are fully aware they shouldn't be doing it. So if they defy the cruise line, in our experience, they don't give a flying ... to anything we have to say. They last time (with the finger) they bluntly stated they had to catch him first and he paid for the balcony just like we did. I do not want to spend any of our precious vacation time going through this again. The cruise line will deal with it.

Earlier in the thread.......lol. You probably have close to 50 postings on this thread. Do you have anything new to add? You just keep repeating yourself over and over again. I enjoy hearing various different opinions on the topic, but you keep spewing the same thing. Go have a cigarette and watch the nightly news. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Lol.

Confused... Was the announcement a consequence of balcony smoking??

No but it was around 4am and woke me up. Thought my alarm didn't go off and I slept late on dembarkation morning

it really has nothing to do with what you would do or not do but generalizations.

california is the land of fruits and nuts. is everyone in cali demented......no.

muslims are all bombers. is that true.......no.

southerners are all hicks. is that true......no.

yankees are all uptight you-know-whats. is that true.....no.

but those are the perceptions of a lot of people.....enough to have those sayings.....and that is what people rely on. same perceptions with smokers and non-smokers.

That is exactly my point. And you add to the generalizations by saying (non-)smokers think/act 'this' way. You are part of the problem when it comes to things like that

you misinterpret....I wasn't "judging" anyone....just stating an observation. No judgement at all

So you observed someone to be a narcissist- no judgment at all involved in that call - just an observation.

Do you actually believe your own bs?

So you observed someone to be a narcissist- no judgment at all involved in that call - just an observation.

Do you actually believe your own bs?

They don't even know what words mean. What sort of answer are you expecting?