Our Epic Cruise is over - 17th - 24th April

ollienbertsmum

What kind of coffee did the coffee maker in your cabin use? Was it in those little round or square white flat pods that lay in the bottom of the basket or was it loose coffee with filters for the basket? How many cups did it make? We prefer to bring our own coffee - just don't know exactly what to bring. Enjoyed your review - thanks!

I am glad that you enjoyed my review. The coffee maker took the flat tea bag type inserts. They were also good for making tea as you could just run it empty and the water would be hot for a nice cup of tea. I like to have coffee in the morning but being English I also "need" my cups of tea. I took cartons of milk from the breakfast buffet and I was so very happy.

Thanks for the helpful review!

You mentioned that you had an odd-numbered cabin but did not have the port views. I am confused. We will be in 13251 (family balcony cabin) on the Epic on the same itinerary as you. I figured that based on the route, our side of the ship would face the land (or the ports) as we go up the coast of Italy and France. Is that incorrect?

Thanks for the helpful review!

You mentioned that you had an odd-numbered cabin but did not have the port views. I am confused. We will be in 13251 (family balcony cabin) on the Epic on the same itinerary as you. I figured that based on the route, our side of the ship would face the land (or the ports) as we go up the coast of Italy and France. Is that incorrect?

Laura

I did not actually choose the cabin because I got an upgrade when there was a price drop. I was too happy to worry which way I faced at the time!!

However when I did my homework I came to the same conclusion as you, but the gangway that they used was on the opposite side, so when we were in port we faced away from the port. This would only really matter if you want to choose to watch the comings and goings of the day whilst at port, or alternatively if you want to be able to sit on your balcony peacefully reading whilst at port. I don't think you will be using the balcony that much on sea days unless it is for a very early breakfast before the family wake up.

On the Sea Day you do get lovely views of the north coast of Sardinia in the middle of the day and afternoon. From the other side of the ship you would get the south coast of Capri.

In Naples you still get a good view of the city, but the other ports you are looking outwards. I am not sure how to attach photos so I cannot show you the view I had from the balcony.

If you get up early you might be able to catch a bit of "cruising along the coast" but to be honest it was a bit too cold to want to sit on the balcony in April. Once we left port it was blowing a gale, really not for sitting out. On the last afternoon I was hoping to be able to have a coast view but it was not interesting enough to keep me from packing my suitcase so I am not sure what was there!!

I had recalled on my very first cruise going from Marseilles in the afternoon along the French Riviera that the view was spectacular. I recall seeing the buildings in Monaco and saying "I want to go there" - I still have not been!! Maybe I had binoculars but probably not. Of course on this cruise, you go past that part of France in the middle of the night!!

I hope that helped. Ask for clarification if you need to.

I have never quite learned my port from my starboard and I even got forward and aft wrong on Day 7 so I am perhaps not the best person to ask about directions and which way you are facing. Maybe someone else can jump in to correct my logic.

Whichever way you face I am sure that you are going to have a great time. It is a super itinerary and when we were on board I thought that the staff were really happy and helpful. I do miss having the same waiters every night with freestyle dining, but you do start to see familiar faces. Having now been on two NCL cruises I am coming round to being sold over the idea of flexible dining options.

Thanks for the review! The Shuttle from port to Pisa for 15 dollar is very helpful!

We're cruising with our 2 year old - Can you tell me about the Kids Splash Pad/Splash Golf?

Thank you.

Thanks for the review! The Shuttle from port to Pisa for 15 dollar is very helpful!

We're cruising with our 2 year old - Can you tell me about the Kids Splash Pad/Splash Golf?

Thank you.

:o sorry The only time I went round that end of the ship was on the first day when we took a walk to get our bearings and I made no attempt to see what happened to the smaller passengers.

Edited by ollienbertsmum