Wiiiiillllllma!

We are leaving Port Canaveral on the Mariner on Sunday (10/23). We have flights into Florida on Friday, so I am not worried about getting there. However, looking at the predicted path (I know it could change) the hurricane will be in south Florida by early Sunday morning (2am). We are to board Sunday and head to CocoCay for Monday. What are you opinions on what RCCL will do if in fact the hurrican is in south Florida? Will they wait until Monday to board? Or skip Cococay and head straight toward the Western Caribbean? When will RCCL make the call?

I knew the risks of cruising this time of year, but had the all to familiar attitude that it won't happen to us. What do you experienced cruisers think?

Thanks

I'm leaving from Galveston on the 6th of Nov. While I doubt we will be directly effected, I'm worried about the damage to our ports of Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I also knew the risks, but it really makes you nervous the closer you get to sailing!

Good luck with your cruise!

We are booked on our honeymoon cruise for Explorer of the Seas on Sunday 10/23. We are supposed to arrive on Saturday morning, stay in Miami, and depart Sunday afternoon on the cruise. I would be very interested in anyone's experience with hurricanes and their cruises.

While it depends upon when and where a storm is due to hit, no cruiseline will hold a ship in port to ride out a storm. They will either leave early to be able to maneuver away from the storm or they will delay their return to port and remain out to sea until it is safe to return. Most paths that I have seen seem to indicate that the Gulf coast is more in danger of a visit from Wilma than Miami or Port Canaveral, but anyone who has any familiarity with hurricane tracks knows how unpredictable they can be.

Keep up with the latest weather notices from the Weather Service and from RCI and be prepared to be flexible with your travel plans. Good luck.

We sail out of Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean on Saturday and hope that any storms will be long gone by the time we get south of here.

I live in Florida and am going on the Mariner this Sunday...the 23rd......I hope Wilma picks up speed and does not change any of our plans! I have been cruising the same week for 4 years now and this is the first hurricane I have had to worry about!

Hopefully it will move quickly,not be too strong as it passes what is now projected to be just a tad south of Canaveral..Maybe you will be delayed by only a few hours...

Although..I guess the incoming cruise wont come in till later in the day than scheduled...So maybe if you only loose one day,you could consider yourself lucky?Or.....Maybe they kick it up a notch,and come in early...(doubt it)

I know...Its all speculation...But your not doomed yet!

We sailed on the 2nd of October...We came really close to picking the 23rd sailing :eek: .

Good luck...(May be a wild ride at your hotel)

203314W_sm.gif

Remember that it is the sober people who can't walk straight when the seas are rough. I looked up the history of hurricanes before my recent cruise and learned that the Atlantic shouldn't have any problems this late in October--mostly because the Atlantic cools down this time of year. History says most hurricanes are weak when they hit the gulf coast in October and weaken quickly--mostly just flooding problems.

The best part of a cruise is that the captain can sail around a storm once you are out at sea. You may not visit the ports you planned on, but hey, a beach and a tropical drink is all I need. Have a great cruise. Hope you see Mickey while you are in the area. We'll be there in February.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

Boy...sure wish we could predict the future of Wilma and her landfall. We may just scrap our cruise and watch it all on TV from a very safe distance. We have already cheated fate by riding out a tornado as our house blew down around us 2 years ago. Wouldn't want to go through anything like that ever again! Wishing all of you the best of luck and a safe and enjoyable cruise.

Remember that it is the sober people who can't walk straight when the seas are rough. I looked up the history of hurricanes before my recent cruise and learned that the Atlantic shouldn't have any problems this late in October--mostly because the Atlantic cools down this time of year. History says most hurricanes are weak when they hit the gulf coast in October and weaken quickly--mostly just flooding problems.

uumm Nice thought,but the storm has already formed,is predicted to be a major, and to impact at least some part of Florida,including their POD by Saturday.Their problem is they may never make it to Sea.:o

uumm Nice thought,but the storm has already formed,is predicted to be a major, and to impact at least some part of Florida,including their POD by Saturday.There problem is they may never make it to Sea.:o

You're correct. Wilma is predicted to reach as high as a category four storm by Thursday and at least a category three by landfall. I do not call that weak and it is more than just flood damage. The Gulf at this time of year is still warm.

Wilma's already a strong category 5 storm. Looks like overnight it just exploded.

Everyone in her path -- STAY SAFE!

Rich, ACC

Carefree Vacations

Last year for my honeymoon cruise on Explorer of the Seas, we had to sit through Hurricane Jeanne, and our departure was changed from Sunday to Monday. RCCL was wonderful through this. They paid for the extra night that we had to stay in Miami, and then gave us onboard credit, and 50% off our next cruise with them. So although our cruise was delayed a day, I believe we came out ahead in the end!:D

Wilmas as we slept went from a 2 with 100 mph winds to a 5 with 175 mph winds at 5AM, her pressure is 883 a historic low in ANY hurricane. So she is one tough lady. I have watched my friend's computer, where I am typing to you from, here at NOAA in Cleveland. She has done a "dance going in a complete circle like something tickled her, and now we is head West-Northwest. Cancun sure looks like a direct hit (Mike' opinion) and West Cuba will again get the rage from her fierce side. Then she is into the Gulf to strengthen more. So we wait to see if a cool front will move her to Texas or LA or if the winds from the mainland will move her East. Miami's forcast is Lake Ochachobe (sp) area for major hit........ Miami being spared, but other ports are in line. But that is a week away and we all know how hurricane change change their mind.

It was a shock to go to bed last night with Wilma a TS and wake up to her as the strongest hurricane in history! Because of an expected early Sunday arrival, I believe some ports and airports will be affected. While the hurricane winds only extend about 15 miles from center, the TS winds reach about 140 miles. A wide area of FL will be affected. Reports this morning seem to indicate that the Caymans and Jamaica have fared well so far. We can always hope that Wilma slips through the Yucatan channel and then slides through the FL straights, keeping the worst winds off shore. My wife asked if we were leaving...I told her North Dakota looks good.

Well, as of the 8 a.m. advisory, Wilma is the most powerful storm ever.

..on the Carnival Triumph. My name is Mitch, so I got kidded alot,,

They were able to go around her by reversing the Eastern Caribb itinerary..

and despite some rough seas and a couple of rainy days...everything was great.

However, Wilma already dwarfs what Mitch ever was...I am glad my cruise is

not for 13 days (out of Boston..first stop Bermuda)...and hope all goes well

for those going this weekend.

The cruiselines will do their best to ensure you have a wonderful vacation

despite it all...or at the very worst..offer you fair compensation for

present/future cruises (even though in most cases they don't have to legally...read the small print on your docs..)

Take a big breath, keep watching for info...prepare to be "flexible" in your expectations......and things will be alright.

Mitch

Tropical Weather Update

October 18, 2005

6:30 p.m.

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Wilma to ensure our guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.

The safety of our guests and crew is always the foremost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Given Hurricane Wilma's location and projected path, Royal Caribbean is currently altering the itineraries of three ships:

Ships sailing from Port Everglades

• Enchantment of the Seas will not make its scheduled port call in Georgetown, Cayman Islands, today. Instead, the ship will visit Labadee, Hispaniola, today, before returning to Port Everglades as scheduled Thursday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Miami

• Navigator of the Seas will not make its scheduled port calls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, today; Georgetown, Cayman Islands, Wednesday; and Cozumel, Mexico, Thursday. Instead, the ship will visit San Juan, Puerto Rico, today; be at sea Wednesday; and visit Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Thursday; before returning to the Port of Miami as scheduled Saturday.

Ships sailing from the Port of Galveston

• Rhapsody of the Seas will not make its scheduled port calls in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, Wednesday; Georgetown, Cayman Islands, Thursday; and Cozumel, Mexico, Friday. Instead, the ship will have an extended visit in Cozumel, Mexico, Tuesday; be at sea Wednesday; and have an extended visit in Key West, Florida, Thursday; before returning to the Port of Galveston as scheduled Sunday.

At this time, no other Royal Caribbean International ships are being adversely impacted by tropical weather. Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and update this information at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Grand Cayman has been spared by Wilma, but Cozumel looks like an almost direct hit. :( It will be interesting to see where in FL she lands, as the models are not in complete agreement. I will be shocked if she's anything less than a strong CAT 3.

Archived