MSC Cruise to Bari, Katakolon, Santorini, Athens, Corfu, Kotor: Helpful Info!

eileen108

We just returned from MSC's one-week cruise to Bari, Katakolon, Santorini, Athens, Corfu and Kotor, the first one to this route of the season. The same one will be running until October.

If it will help anyone pack, here was the evening dress schedule for this paticular cruise:

Sunday: Casual

Monday: Italian Theme Party, wear green, white & red

Tuesday: Gala (formal wear)

Wednesday: Theme Party, wear white

Thursday: Theme Party, wear 60s, 70s, 80s (no surprise, hardly anyone did this!)

Friday: Gala (formal wear)

Saturday: Casual

I took (of course!) TONS of pics, including ones from the Daily Schedules and Menus, as I couldn't find samples of these online. Someday I will find a place to publish these, but now I'm presently struggling with 12-hour+ workdays trying to catch up on the pileup at the office.

Despite many reviews I read to the contrary, MSC food was fantastic and the sit down resturants (available for free at breakfast, lunch and dinner) had especially delicious and unique food! I am vegetarian and don't like onions, yet the options were deliciously endless. We often ordered several apitisers, entrees and deserts, just to try new things.

Ship left at 5pm on Sunday, check in scheduled to start at 1pm. We came at 12:30pm to the port and the place was packed; it took us over two hours to board. Boarding had been moved up to 11:30am apparently. The buffet on the ship was available as soon as people stepped on the ship, and never closed.

We only had carry on luggage so at the end of the trip, we searched for (ask around!) for the one disembarking door and just joined the line, so were one of the first ones off the ship, no colored tags or meeting with your 'group' necessary. Ship arrived at 9am on schedule but we started disembarkation only after 9:30 am.

We had a flight connection within USA and didn't know that after going through Customs, we had to walk a mile or two in the airport, then go through Security check again for our domestic flight. We had nearly two hours between flights but barely made it to the gate in time (after boarding had been going on awhile). Wish we had scheduled at least three hours between flights!

All the ports were wonderful yet most were totally packed with people and busy on the tours, of course this couldn't be helped due to the several ships in port at once but I can't imagine how the middle of the season would be! In beauty and uniqueness, Kotor struck me as the winner, with Santorini a close second. Culturally, the ancient sights in Bari (we saw the Sassi caves at Matera) and Athens had the best bragging-rights photo ops.

The above are just a few tips I wished I knew beforehand, as a first-time cruiser and new to traveling abroad.

Thanks for this thread!!!

It sure helps to prepare, did you have an status thru Voyages Club?!?

I love to see the photos, daily schedule and menus and understand that work is in the way right now...

We are on this cruise early July

I'll be doing this EXACT itin next month!

Please both report all info you have when you get back after your trips!!!!

I just booked this cruise last week for the last sailing in October.

Please both report all info you have when you get back after your trips!!!!

I just booked this cruise last week for the last sailing in October.

I will.:D I plan on doing a detailed trip report with lots of PICS.

Yes, we sailed on MSC Orchestra.

In both Kotor and Corfu we opted for the ship's Excursion and felt it was worth every penny. After doing Bari on our own with a silent taxi driver and wandering aimlessly for a short time in Matera (ending up paying almost the same as the official excursion), we decided an official excursion with constant info on the bus and guided tours were a great value.

Also, our ship was stuck in Bari all night instead of sailing to Katakolon due to high winds, so then we set sail early morning direct to Santorini. So we missed out on Katakolon.

For Corfu we did the "Paleokastrita & Kum Quat Tasting" and got to sample many great wines and snacks! Also many delicious purchases of kum quat products which are so yummy and great gifts.

For Kotor, we did 'Kotor & Perast' which was an outstanding overview of several villages, the church in the middle of the lake and a walking tour of the fascinating village squares with old buildings, which is only a few feet from the port so if that's all you want to do, it can easily be done on your own. The bus ride at one point was through streets with buildings literally inches from the bus and we couldn't believe how we got through it!

We did join the 'Voyagers Club' for this, our first trip, though I believe benefits only start later on, not sure.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was on her crossing just Bedford the weekly she duke started up. I'm going back on her next month too. Seems there are a few of us. Must go and check out the roll calls as I haven't looked for ages.

I'll be DIY in ports as I know a few of them anyway and that is my preferred style.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be on board of MSC Orchestra next October doing the same route.

Just one doubt, since the only excursion available in Bari seems very poor compared to what can be explored, did you hire someone at the port or booked it prior embarking? I am considering going to Alberobello or Polignamo ao Mare and I am afraid time will be an issue to visit either.

Thanks in advance

We hired a taxi at Bari port (literally right outside our cruise ship door), however it ended up costing the same as a cruise excursion (we were only two people sharing the taxi). A MSC Excursion would have given us history and other commentary the whole way. Our taxi driver only spoke Italian so it was a silent taxi ride with no info.

Taxis in port: Bari city 60 Euros, Alberobello 130 Euros, Polignano a Mare 100 Euros, Caves of Catellana 120 Euros, Matera 120 Euros

MSC Orchestra Cruise Excursion Rates (per person): Bari City 62 Euros, Alberobello 75 Euros, Caves of Castellana AND Polignano A Mare 72 Euros, Sassi in Matera 75 Euros