Picture-A-Week-2016 - Week 20

Yikes! I haven't seen hail like that since I left Texas!

Ok, this one isn't completely in focus, but these critters fly fast and erratically! After trying to capture a good picture for 10 minutes, he flew over my head. 18-55mm lens.

What creature frustrates you when you're trying to capture a picture?

DSC01707_zps8lt5xvpo.jpg

Vic

This is Mariehamn on the island of Åland, a part of Finland.

The cruise ferries between Sweden and Finland makes a short stop here during the evening or night (to be allowed to sell duty free).

The photo is taken from the upper deck of the ferry Silja Serenade this Monday.

20160509-2_zpsv42ynizc.jpg

The ship is Pommern, a four-masted barque built in 1903 and used as a cargo ship in the early 1900.

I've not noticed this before, but it's interesting with week numbers. Over here in Europe it's officially week 19 now.

/Erik

I've not noticed this before, but it's interesting with week numbers. Over here in Europe it's officially week 19 now.

/Erik

The week numbers aren't based on anything "official". I started the first one on January 2, 2012 and the numbering has just stacked up since then. Since this year is the second leap year in the series, it will actually contain 53 weeks with week 53 ending on Sunday, January 1, 2017.

Year Six will start on January 2, 2017...no matter what the government says! :)

Sometimes I feel like such a rebel!

Dave

Edited by pierces

The week numbers aren't based on anything "official". I started the first one on January 2, 2012 and the numbering has just stacked up since then. Since this year is the second leap year in the series, it will actually contain 53 weeks with week 53 ending on Sunday, January 1, 2017.

Year Six will start on January 2, 2017...no matter what the government says! :)

Sometimes I feel like such a rebel!

Dave

When we order stuff from suppliers (at work) we almost always decide a delivery week (week number), but if we have suppliers from the US they usually ask us "when is that?". I don't think you use week numbers that much over there as we do here in Europe.

Apparently there is a standard for week numbering; ISO 8601. I didn't know that, but I guess it comes from Germany. :D

Continue to be a rebel! ;)

/Erik

When we order stuff from suppliers (at work) we almost always decide a delivery week (week number), but if we have suppliers from the US they usually ask us "when is that?". I don't think you use week numbers that much over there as we do here in Europe.

Apparently there is a standard for week numbering; ISO 8601. I didn't know that, but I guess it comes from Germany. :D

Continue to be a rebel! ;)

/Erik

It's funny, but you're right about the weeks. Even though they appear on desktop blotters, are fully supported in Outlook appointment calendars and even as a "Weeknum" function in Excel, the week number is mostly unused and the general populace is blissfully unaware that weeks have numbers.

Then again, the general populace seems to be blissfully unaware of most things...;)

Dave

Sorry -- no pictures again this past week.

Nothing but day after another with rain.

Tonight we return to winter and will lose all the flowers I planted in between rain storms. It is suppose to go down to 34 with wind chills of in the 20's.

Love all the pictures everyone.

A test shot with a security camera lens featured in an article on lenses that could be adapted to Sony e-mount cameras and for $28, I now own one. Simple design with an old-timey "look" that I am deciding if I like. This is straight out of the camera and it did a respectable job with Savannah and Cookie.

p2066330906-5.jpg

Dave

Blackbird getting a good reception from my aerial

A%20Blackie.jpg

Then heard a seagull and crow making a racket and saw Battle of Britain 2016

quite hard to get a focus on them though

Attack.jpg

Attack1.jpg

Duel.jpg

Duel3.jpg

Duel2.jpg

Dickie

Finally got through some shots I took this past weekend, playing again with the A6300 and FE70-300mm lens combo:

Alligator cruising through crazy neon green water (yes, that was the actual color - algae bloom in the extreme heat we're having):

original.jpg

Cattle egret doing his 'spread eagle' pose:

original.jpg

Two baby wood storks screaming for food from the nearby parents:

original.jpg

Even worse for a great blue heron mom, on the right, as she's mobbed and attacked by her two chicks clamoring over who gets fed:

original.jpg

Speaking of being fed, this raccoon had itself a turtle meat lunch. The raccoon didn't kill the turtle (they're not that aggressive), but found the turtle already dead and wasn't going to pass up a free meal:

original.jpg