Dunn's River Falls...I know...Another Question

GalCruzer

But everyone has done it except me...So looking to do it on our next cruise.

Just wondering are there any excursions for DRF where you can spend the entire day there, for the time that the ship is docked, of course?

Or are you better off doing this on your own? And if we were to do it that way is it an easy process?

Was hoping to go on either the Carnival Sunshine, Breeze or Magic, if we were to book through the ship. And only do it that way if we can spend the entire day there.

Thanks for any info.

If you dock in Ocho Rios it's easy to go on your own and you can pay your entry fee and stay as long as you like. Very easy to do without a tour from the ship. It's a park so once you are in, you are free to hang out as long as you want.

If you are sailing into Falmouth you could do the same, but the drive time is about an hour, so you would need to book round-trip transportation and count that drive time into your schedule.

Same with Montego Bay except about an hour and a half each way. That's 3 hrs of driving, so take that into consideration. You'd probably be better off doing a tour from MoBay and Falmouth so that you are sure you have a ride back to port (whether it be private or ship sponsored).

Good to know that you can reach Dunn's River from all these ports as I was thinking you had to go right from Ocho Rios. I had finally found a cruise on the Splendor that went to Ocho Rios and was thinking of booking that. But now I will go back and check from one of my other choice of ships to see what ports in Jamaica they go to. Thanks for that!

I just got back from Jamaica on Carnival Breeze. We docked in Montego Bay and did the ship's excursion to Dunn's River Falls. The bus ride there is about an hour and a half. Once you climb the falls, there really isn't anything else that I know of to do except shop and the vendors are really pushy. We went and ate lunch at a nice restaurant with a great ocean view afterwards. Then we had 20 minutes to shop before getting back on the bus for another 1.5 hour drive back. It's a lot of fun, but I don't think you'd get that much more time there if you went by yourself.

I just got back from Jamaica on Carnival Breeze. We docked in Montego Bay and did the ship's excursion to Dunn's River Falls. The bus ride there is about an hour and a half. Once you climb the falls, there really isn't anything else that I know of to do except shop and the vendors are really pushy. We went and ate lunch at a nice restaurant with a great ocean view afterwards. Then we had 20 minutes to shop before getting back on the bus for another 1.5 hour drive back. It's a lot of fun, but I don't think you'd get that much more time there if you went by yourself.

Thanks for that. I think we will stick with just going there from Ochos Rios. Just that it doesn't appear any of my choice of ships actually go to Ochos Rios. It seems I've found the Carnival Splendor is the one avail for when we want to go. But certainly will keep checking.

Thanks for that. I think we will stick with just going there from Ochos Rios. Just that it doesn't appear any of my choice of ships actually go to Ochos Rios. It seems I've found the Carnival Splendor is the one avail for when we want to go. But certainly will keep checking.

In case you haven't seen this:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/caribbean-cruises/ocho-rios-cruises.aspx

At the top left they have an area labeled "Which Ships Sail Here?" and at the bottom you can search for cruises that go to via Ocho Rios by Date, Departure Port, and Cruise Length.

This is the page I used when I wanted to book a cruise that stopped in Ocho Rios. Good Stuff. :)

Once you climb the falls, there really isn't anything else that I know of to do

when you go to a water park, you ride one slide and say, "I'm done"

Once you pay a day's admission you can climb the falls as many times as you like ...

and MAYBE you'll try climbing OUTSIDE of the "hand hold cruise ship special"

GO UP THE MIDDLE

see two groups? One holding hands and another having fun

drf9.jpg

see the ones on the left ... on the stairs ... on a cruise special .... we're going up the middle

drf8.jpg

drf5.jpg

In case you haven't seen this:

http://www.carnival.com/cruise-to/caribbean-cruises/ocho-rios-cruises.aspx

At the top left they have an area labeled "Which Ships Sail Here?" and at the bottom you can search for cruises that go to via Ocho Rios by Date, Departure Port, and Cruise Length.

This is the page I used when I wanted to book a cruise that stopped in Ocho Rios. Good Stuff. :)

Thanks for that link. Much easier than just searching ship by ship or so. At least this narrows it down too.

Once you climb the falls, there really isn't anything else that I know of to do

when you go to a water park, you ride one slide and say, "I'm done"

Once you pay a day's admission you can climb the falls as many times as you like ...

and MAYBE you'll try climbing OUTSIDE of the "hand hold cruise ship special"

GO UP THE MIDDLE

see two groups? One holding hands and another having fun

see the ones on the left ... on the stairs ... on a cruise special .... we're going up the middle

Thanks for posting those pics! I would much rather try climbing up the rocks without having to hold people hands. Sounds like it is better to get there on our own from Ocho Rios to be able to enjoy as much as possible.