Alaska Cruise from Whittier

hornhiyo

This is our 30th wedding anniversary trip.

First Alaskan cruise, though we've done the Caribbean several times. We fly into Anchorage Friday night at 7pm, cruise leaves Saturday at 8:30pm.

I assume there are hotel options in Anchorage?

What's the best option to get from Anchorage to Whittier?

We enjoy the outdoors but aren't huge nature folks, i.e. won't be doing any fishing or hunting. :)

What excursions are "must do". One that's a good deal and one where money is no object.

All advice is appreciated.

First Alaskan cruise, though we've done the Caribbean several times. We fly into Anchorage Friday night at 7pm, cruise leaves Saturday at 8:30pm.

We enjoy the outdoors but aren't huge nature folks, i.e. won't be doing any fishing or hunting. :)

What excursions are "must do". One that's a good deal and one where money is no object.

You may also want to ask on the Alaska port of call forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Plenty of hotel options. Anchorage is a rather large city of over 250K people. As far as getting to Whittier you have many options from renting a car, taking a bus, or a private shuttle, or my favorite the train.

The train provides a scenic trip along Turnagain Arm and through the tunnel. It gets you to Whittier around 12:45 and you can go right from their to the ship.

The Alaska board will tell you if there are any local buses that run to Whittier. I seem to remember that there were three options: rent a car; take the train; take the Princess transfer by bus. You can book the transfer even if you don't stay at the Captain Cook Hotel, which is where it leaves from. You get narrated tour along the way, and use the same tunnel as the train. Drops you off right at the terminal (train does too). EM