Carnival cruise question

Dubdude007

We are trying to book a cruise from Galveston on June 18 2016 for two. My partner definitely wants to go but I may not be able to go due to work commitments. We are investigating the possibility of a name change but a customer service rep told us that this would not be possible. I read their policy online and it says that it should only cost us $50. So which one is true?

Also, the customer service agent suggested that we book the cruise in my partners name only (she would pay a 100 percent single supplement) and then we can add my name as a 2nd person in the room for just the amount of taxes we would pay for the 2nd person. The agent said we have a small window to do this because the cruise ship might exceed capacity and we won't be able to do this

Also, should we pick our own room or have Carnival pick it for us? We are looking at a Balcony

Thanks for the suggestions

DO NOT book Early Saver in your situation. Early saver has the no name changes restrictions.

If you think you may not be able to go and won't know until last minute, then book Fun Saver. There will only be a small fee to change names.

NOTE: No matter what fare you book, both of you can't cancel and have someone else go. At least 1 passenger MUST sail who was originally booked.

Pick your own cabin.

A cruise is a different kind of vacation. You can't just cancel without penalty like with a hotel as you are finding out. Never book until you are 100% sure you can go unless you get "cancel for any reason" insurance, which is fairly expensive or can afford to lose the money for the cruise. The thing is, Carnival will take however many guests they are allowed to take and when they reach capacity, they can't take anymore guests even if your friend is traveling in a cabin alone because capacity is all about safety and if there are enough seats in lifeboats for everyone onboard, not if a cabin is full or not.

Given your situation, you could book but buy "cancel for any reason" insurance. Check out insuremytrip dot come to find out if you can afford that. Otherwise, it is best not to book a trip you are uncertain about. You also have to book shore excursions and specialty dining in advance.

I will say, the shortest time frame I've booked was 1 week in advance and it was for Carnival Magic out of Galveston. The ship had been completely full, but there was a last minute cancellation on a Spa Balcony Cabin - this was last 4th of July, so I jumped on it. The next headache was finding a hotel with a vacant room in Galveston for a reasonable price at that late date (we drove down from Dallas the evening before because sometimes the traffic through Houston to Galveston is a nightmare - sometimes it's a swift drive, but we have also spent upwards of 4 -5 hours on the same drive thanks to Houston traffic.) We did manage to get a room at Days Inn and Suites Galveston which was OK except for the huge Palmetto bug my husband had to dispose of. Palmetto bugs are everywhere there is a beach. If you go, Landry's is a good place for a seafood dinner the night before your cruise. Even if it is full with a whole lot of people waiting to get in, if you are just a couple, you will probably get in pretty quick - in our case, before the bartender could make our drinks! There is also a Kroger on Seawall Blvd where you can pick up anything you forgot. Do make a reservation for parking at the pier or wherever you decide to park. If you park at the pier, drop your luggage off at the ship FIRST, otherwise, you will have to wait for a shuttle with luggage space and it's a long, long, long line (like 2 blocks long) whereas, if you have no luggage, you will get on the first no luggage shuttle.

Always pick your own cabin, preferably midship.

Thanks

Is the 2nd option legit? Book for 1 and then add the 2nd person?

Yes, but then if the ship reaches capacity, that may no longer be an option. So say, your companion booked tonight and then tomorrow the ship reaches passenger capacity, then even though there is a second (and possibly 3rd and 4th) berth available in her cabin, she won't able to add another passenger if the ship is at passenger capacity. So then you would have to check back daily and hope there is a last minute cancellation in order to be added in again. If there was no cancellation, you could not cruise and she would pay double to cruise as one person in a cabin.