Do they allow you to bring an 11-month old child to the restaurants?

Astro

I agree completely... Leave your kids at home and enjoy each other... There will be many times where you will enjoy a family vacation..

We took our 15 mo. old on an Alaska cruise recently and it was challenging. By day 3 our cabin was getting small - and we had a balcony! I even brought a rolly-bag with his toys from home for familiarity but he just didn't want to go into the cabin anymore. It really was exhausting trying to keep him happy - and trying to enjoy the cruise ourselves. It was no problem to bring him to the restaurants and the wait staff was very helpful in keeping him happy for the whole meal. He did well there. Down side to our trip, he got a fever (103.6) on day 3 and the ship doctor tried to be helpful but didn't understand how to deal with babies as she was not a pediatrician. By day 6 (he still had the fever) I just wanted off the stupid ship! All in all, some great pics, but not a relaxing vacation. Turns out he had a roseola, a very common baby virus, but she was convinced he had a bladder infection and uneccessarily prescribed antibiotics for him. We also have a very mellow, easy-going baby - if yours is not, could be even more challenging. Good luck whatever you decide.

I know what to do when an infant cries spontaneously in public, but I would pay top dollar for her secret to preventing it from happening. Did she stay home until her children no longer cried spontaneously or did she have another method?

She stayed at home with us until she felt we were old enough NOT to embarrass our family in public...plain and simple.

She stayed at home with us until she felt we were old enough NOT to embarrass our family in public...plain and simple.

Wow, you must have had an exciting first 2 years of life! I have taken my twins many places and I have had to deal with crying on occasion. I have always done the appropriate thing and removed them from the situation, but I have never considered them an embarrassment. I'm sorry that your mother felt that way about you.

One issue no one has mentioned is that children are much more susceptible to norovirus. Infants are often putting items in their mouths and many cruise ships have had repeated outbreaks of norovirus. Thus I would be hesitant to travel with an infant on a cruise.

See

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol11no01/04-0434.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

Wow, you must have had an exciting first 2 years of life! I have taken my twins many places and I have had to deal with crying on occasion. I have always done the appropriate thing and removed them from the situation, but I have never considered them an embarrassment. I'm sorry that your mother felt that way about you.

I won't get into it with you on this forum because my mom always taught me that if I didn't have anything good to say,don't say anything at all.

I agree to disagree...;)

I won't get into it with you on this forum because my mom always taught me that if I didn't have anything good to say,don't say anything at all.

I agree to disagree...;)

I agree to disagree...;)

I commend you on your response. It would be nice if more people on these boards followed your example.

I think we should remember that the subject of this thread is "Can I bring my infant to the Restaurants", not whether or not you should bring your child on a cruise. Personally, I hope most parents would realize that when people choose to go to a nice restaurant, they do so to enjoy the company of other adults. There are many other places on the ship that are much more suitable for children to dine at. And let's face it - kids make messes, they cry, they are unreasonable, not because they are bad, but because they are KIDS. So, why would you want to make other people who are trying to enjoy an adult vacation have to deal with that?

By all means, enjoy your family vacation, but try to be considerate of others and stay out of Sabatini's or the restarants (on formal nights especially). The last thing I want is some kid puking on my cocktail dress. And no matter how great a parent you are, stuff like that just happens with kids. Babies and children can still have all that family bonding, experience the bright colors of the ship, listen to all the languages, and all the other wonderful experiences everyone's been talking about - WITHOUT dining in the restaurants.

Thanks! :)

Hats off, ggcruiser, for having the courage to "tell it like it is." Group dynamics can be intimidating, especially when it comes to parents taking a position adverse to fellow parents in the never-ending debate over "family cruising." I admire you for sharing facts that prove the point instead of adding to the emotionally-charged rhetoric.

I don't have any such facts, but I am emboldened by your post to state my *invited* opinion to the OP, as a fellow parent of two very well-traveled kids: Pease don't take your 11-month-old to any "sit-down" restaurant for the evening meal.

"I think we should remember that the subject of this thread is "Can I bring my infant to the Restaurants", not whether or not you should bring your child on a cruise. " yes, let's keep that in mind. When people (with or without children) ask about going on their first cruise, I recommend a short one just to see if anyone in your party is bothered by it. That's what we did with our little one -- took her on a three-day cruise. She was very well-behaved. I don't remember if we took her to the dining room on the formal nights; we probably didn't. When we did take her to the dining room, the waiters really gushed over her. We also took her to one of the shows, staying near the back, just in case she didn't like it. Turned out she loved it. We try to catch at least one of the shows with her on every cruise. She is expected to behave and she probably behaves better than some of the adults.

So to the OP: judge your child's mood on a meal by meal basis. If she seems cranky, don't take her to the dining room. If in a good mood, try it out...you can always make a quick exit. I bet you'll find many more passengers onboard acceptable to your choice to take your child along.

Bearing in mind the previous poster's comments; just because your child's behaviour means that you have to exit the Dining Salon, it doesn't mean that you have to do without a meal. There's always the Horizon Court or Room Service :cool: .

I have just reread this entire thread to make sure I understood the various positions. My impression is that no one is objecting to well behaved children in the dining room. What we object to is the boorish behavior of SOME parents who ignore a screaming infant, or allow their children to create a fuss and bother other diners with by not staying seated at their assigned table. They shrug it off a "kids will be kids" or "we were all kids at one time, whats the big deal?"

The OP does not sound like one of those who are so rude. The fact that she ask the question and sought advice indicates she cares about others.

My advice is to bring the child, but be ready for a hasty retreat at the first sign of a disturbance to others.

Fair inds

Dave

Guest Host Tink

Hi,

I'm going to close this thread now, I think we've all shared our thoughts, some more loudly than others, but the essential point got accross and I hope the Original Poster got the answer they were looking for.

Archived