Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas or Carnival Valor

Josie2015

I'll be booking my family's first cruise Friday. I had my mind all set on Carnival at first because they say it's the cheapest and we're a family of 7. Then yesterday I thought to just check Royal Caribbean because people say they're the best. I found that they have a comparable cruise for only $100 more. Both are 4 day Bahama cruise departing from Port Canaveral the first week of April. The only notable difference between the two is that the Valor stops in Freeport one of its port days and the Majesty stops in Cocoa Cay.

There are two big challenges for us and they are my husbands size (6ft. 517lbs) and my son's fear of heights. I know that oceanview cabins on both are small, but Royal Caribbean's just look so tiny on YouTube. Seems like we can make the main part of the room work on either ship, but not sure about the bathroom. Over all is one ship more comfortable for someone of size? As far as my son goes the main concerns are decks that over look the atrium, boarding, and unboarding. Are there easily accessible elevators and stairs that are enclosed? When getting on and off, are you high up and can you easily avoid seeing the ground?

Sorry this is so long.

Good luck with your decision. Majesty is a very old ship...the second oldest in RCI's fleet. As such, the standard rooms are tiny. For an Oceanview on Majesty, I highly recommend trying to get into a deck 9 Superior Oceanview. They are much larger and have a small couch. If the deck 9 SOs are out of the question, Valor might be your better option because the rooms are a little bigger on that ship

On both ships, the main stairways at the elevator banks are enclosed and you can't see down at all. The main area your son might have issue is the central atrium of both ships. It's an open, multi-story venue with stairways from which you can see down a couple stories to the main floor.

On both ships, the main stairways at the elevator banks are enclosed and you can't see down at all. The main area your son might have issue is the central atrium of both ships. It's an open, multi-story venue with stairways from which you can see down a couple stories to the main floor.

If you're on one of the higher up decks that over look the atrium are the only public elevators and the ones facing the opening or are others that can also be used?

I just tried looking into the Superior Oceanview cabins and they weren't even listed as an option. Guess they're all booked.

Edited by Josie2015

If you're on one of the higher up decks that over look the atrium are the only public elevators and the ones facing the opening or are others that can also be used?

I just tried looking into the Superior Oceanview cabins and they weren't even listed as an option. Guess they're all booked.

Before you book anything, with the concerns that you have, you need to find a cruise-oriented travel agent in your community to help you with your decision. A travel agent is not going to cost you anything more than you would otherwise pay and the agent may be able to obtain better pricing and/or some perks that you would not be able to obtain by booking directly through the cruiseline. The agent will be far better able to address your concerns than any of us on Cruise Critic.

Living in Louisville, you will have no difficulty in finding a travel agent that is cruise savy.

Edited by rkacruiser