Which side of the ship (Pride)

There is no one side, and contrary to popular belief "port" side has nothing to do with the ship docking to that side on the pier to face the port / land. "Port" is a totally different definition when it comes to ships. Yes, it is the left side of the ship, but has nothing to do with which side of the ship is against the dock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard

Sometimes the captain will pull in or back in. Sometimes for lifeboat lowering / drills.

I want to stress that the "port" side of the ship has NOTHING to do with the side of the ship that faces the port / land. It just means left, just like starboard means right.

Which side of the ship usually faces land at Nassau and Port Canaveral? We'll be sailing on the Pride but I think it would be the same for any ship. I know it is usually the port side but I'm just checking the specific ports.

You have a 50/50 chance of facing the dock.

I want to stress that the "port" side of the ship has NOTHING to do with the side of the ship that faces the port / land. It just means left, just like starboard means right.

Hi Lou

You are absolutely right but I also have to point out that you can always see the stars on the Starboard side. :)

have a great day

Hi Lou

You are absolutely right but I also have to point out that you can always see the stars on the Starboard side. :)

have a great day

LOL! But I also see the stars on the port side. What gives with that? :D

Thanks Heirloom. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Do you remember how they docked in Port Canaveral? Not so important because we'll be off the ship all day. Just curious. It will be our 3rd cruise on the Pride out of Baltimore in an 18 month period so I don't have a whole lot of other research to do.

loubetti - didn't mean to confuse. I know what the port side of the ship means. It just seems that in most ports the LEFT side of the ship has the best view from the balcony (St Thomas, Mykonos, Ketchican, Grand Turk, leaving Miami). Based on where the dock is located and whether the ship usually goes straight in or backs in, it isn't going to change every day at the same port.

It just seems that in most ports the LEFT side of the ship has the best view from the balcony (St Thomas, Mykonos, Ketchican, Grand Turk, leaving Miami). Based on where the dock is located and whether the ship usually goes straight in or backs in, it isn't going to change every day at the same port.

There's not much of a view on either side in Port Canaveral. :(