Croatian currency question

Good morning, we are shortly visiting three Croatian ports on a Celebrity cruise and wonder if anyone would kindly let us know recent experiences regarding the use of Euros in that country.

I appreciate that the official currency is the Croatian Kuna but various sites (including a Croatian Travel site) say that Euros are widely accepted.

However, in addition to pre-booked tours in two of the ports, we will be doing a lot of ambling round small shops etc in the towns which seem to me to be the kind of establishments that would only take their own official currency.

After the Croatian ports everywhere else on the cruise and afterwards is in the Eurozone so we do not really want any Kuna left over but spare Euros will be fine!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Peter

Good morning, we are shortly visiting three Croatian ports on a Celebrity cruise and wonder if anyone would kindly let us know recent experiences regarding the use of Euros in that country.

I appreciate that the official currency is the Croatian Kuna but various sites (including a Croatian Travel site) say that Euros are widely accepted.

However, in addition to pre-booked tours in two of the ports, we will be doing a lot of ambling round small shops etc in the towns which seem to me to be the kind of establishments that would only take their own official currency.

After the Croatian ports everywhere else on the cruise and afterwards is in the Eurozone so we do not really want any Kuna left over but spare Euros will be fine!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Peter

We just returned home from the Italy & Croatia Constellation Cruise. We visited three ports (Zadar, Split, and Dubrovnik). Euros were widely accepted, even at small souvenir shops and restaurants.

However! (there always seems to be a however) - when we were in Split - we had to pay for museums/attractions in Kunas.

Also - if you visit an ATM machine, it will dispense Kunas (not Euros). You could also likely receive Kunas back as change, even if you pay in Euros.

It is handy/convenient to have around 500 Kunas (around $75 USD) in your wallet.

Heather

Hi Peter,

When we visited last year, we found that most shops and restaurants listed prices in both kuna and euro, so I think you'll be fine using euros if you don't feel like getting kuna. Just a few precautions though....1) all the public bathrooms we visited required kuna, and kuna only, although I would guess that is depends on what kind of mood the bathroom attendant is in, and 2) when I did the conversions from kuna/euros to my local currency, the price in kuna wa definitely more favorable, so just something to be mindful of.

Also, right near pile gate in Dubrovnik, there are several ATMs where you can easily exchange money. If I recall correctly, there is an ice cream shop near the ATMs so a good excuse to spend any leftover kunas, problem solved!:p

As others have posted, euros are now widely accepted. On our first visit to Dubrovnik nearly 9 years ago, they only accepted kuna and we had to change our currency at the local bank, last year we noticed the difference as euros were accepted everywhere; we also noticed how it was far more crammed with tourists - what a difference :eek:!

While Euros are widely accepted (but not everywhere) you will often get a lousy exchange rate and change in Kuna! If you insist on using Euros, we suggest you ask the policy (and exchange rate) before you sit down at a cafe/restaurant. Entrance fees for some attractions must be paid in Kuna, but they will often accept MC/Visa. Since you are gong to several ports, we would suggest getting some Kuna (the best deals are usually out of a bank ATM) at your first port.

Hank

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight into how much Kuna you think we would need for one day? Planning on exploring the old city for the day, walking the walls, having lunch and looking at some shops, maybe an ice cream stop as well. Thanks!