Cruise passenger loses control of scooter, serious injuries

Charles4515

Did you see the letter to the editor from the wife of the pax? They were on their honeymoon and she said he does ride a motorcycle stateside but it's different in Bermuda. Just what so many try to tell people here when they ask about renting a scooter.

Did you see the letter to the editor from the wife of the pax? They were on their honeymoon and she said he does ride a motorcycle stateside but it's different in Bermuda. Just what so many try to tell people here when they ask about renting a scooter.

I have read it now. Yes, we have been telling them.

I have read it now. Yes, we have been telling them.

Even if someone has riding experience and they are doing everything right, sometimes things are beyond your control. Friends were in their own lane but a truck came around a bend over the line and they had nowhere to go but into a hard, jaggy wall. Fortunately, their injuries were not terribly but bad enough that they wished they hadn't rented and won't again.

Just back from a weeks stay in St. George. We rented 2 scooters, 2 couples. My opinion is ... rent them at your own peril. My friend and I both have motorcycle experience. Driving single was okay, but double was a challenge. There are very few scooter related deaths in Bermuda, but lots of injuries, some serious. In the future, I personally would rent one for short jaunts, but not long hauls.

Just read last month both a husband and his wife were both killed on a scooter. They were passengers on another cruise line. It's so dangerous no matter how careful you try to be or how much experience you have.